Yet another MEH Synergy project

Hehe, yes once I start writing it just flows..

Very interesting about the multi channel and FIR capability. Thanks for the info.
I'll read up.
It's the sort of multi output flexibility I need.
6 outputs go just on the SH50 left and right channels + 2 for the tapped horns. That's for Hifi.

For Home Theatre I need the 6 for SH50 - that could be handled by Najda still? Then 2 for the tapped subs, 2 for rear left and right, for centre, extra centre rear a nice to have.
So 6 like you have would work.
Does your solution do the Home Theatre splitting up the channels? Hdmi/AEC? I guess it's optical only?
Does it have optical out, so could chain to Najda?

FIR definitely feels like something I've got to try, soon or later.
I can live without FIR on the upper channels, the phase coherent, XO free set up works just fine on them.
The LF and Tapped horns will require lots of taps...

We received the screen today.
It's big!

Wall mount arrives to tomorrow.
As does the extra recliner sofa and two recliner chairs.

I connected the screen up to a Sonos Beam we have via EARC, and Najda / hifi 2 channel up via the optical out.

Even this crude non proper 5.2 setup sounds pretty amazing.

Real rumble and thunder from the tapped horns! Clear audio etc from the SH50s.
Sonos Beam essentially doing centre and L+R rear by a pair of Play 1s.

We test watched some of The Martian film.
Must try one with more music.

It will certainly do whilst we figure out what to do for a more proper 5.2, 6.2, 7.2🙂 solution.

Just need the low equipment rack now!

This leaves 2 channel Hifi completely unmolested.

I tested out more drum solos.
The SH50 LF and Tapped horns really kick and work in unison well.

Last edited:
These are the articles by Mitch Barnett that got me started in my FIR journey. He happens to use Lynx Hilo too, which helped me realize the potential the Hilo had.
This one is an intro into Acourate room correction. It´s best to get a handle of this and then read the 2nd one where he introduces digital (FIR) xo:
1) https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-a...-loudspeaker-correction-software-walkthrough/
2) https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-a...e-alignment-driver-linearization-walkthrough/

Later, Mitch wrote an ebook that further delves into Acourate that is pretty handy.

One downside of FIR crossovers, when used for home theater, is their latency (time delay until the sound is heard, which becomes a mismatch with video). A walkaround is to use regular xo for home theater and FIR for music. This is what I do, and the reduced audio quality isn´t significant (to me) when watching a screen. My setup is the same 2 speakers (3-way active) left & right plus 4 subs both for music and video. I use a micro computer with HDMI out to the screen and USB out to Lynx Hilo. For video the computer boots into Windows and runs JRiver with the active crossovers in place. For music, the computer is booted as a HQPLayer network audio adapter, and receives the stream from another computer running Roon/HQPlayer. From Hilo straight into amps for midbass, midrange and tweeters.
I do use optical from Hilo to miniDSP 4x10HD. I could have used copper SPDIF too. And the miniDSP through 4 coax cables into the the 4 subs (optimized using Multi-Sub Optimizer, which has been great). Hilo would allow to send 2 channels through optical to ne device (in my case miniDSP) and copper SPDIF to another device (before the miniDSP I used a stereo DAC for 2 subs, before moving to 4 subs). I have not used the AES digital out. Maybe Najda has AES input?

I had not realized the SH50 was crossover free! I guess you achieve the passband of the midrange and midbass through proper sizing/location/number of the openings into the horn? Did you calculate that?
If you use one channel for the SH50, a room correction software such as Acourate can still help you achieve the house curve you prefer.

These are the articles by Mitch Barnett that got me started in my FIR journey.
Cool. Will read up on.

One downside of FIR crossovers, when used for home theater, is their latency

Yes, that would be annoying if lip sync is too off.
Dual system for Home Theatre and Hifi would be fine.
I had not realized the SH50 was crossover free! I guess you achieve the passband of the midrange and midbass through proper sizing/location/number of the openings into the horn? Did you calculate that?

Haha, I wish. I have Tom Danley to thank for that.
I reproduced the placement and sizings.

There is a passive setup in the real SH50s. Not sure what is X/O and what is notch filter, L-Pad etc. It's a work of art.
Your can also order a DSP version and you get the data required to implement the DSP, I believe.

Doing in DSP is easy peasey in comparison.
Used Chris' method measuring at 1m.

That said;
Even without any PEQs at all on any of the 3 ways, they sound pretty good.
I'm in the camp that you can over PEQ things. Esp HF.

Maybe Najda has AES input?
Najda does not.
It could not make sense of 5.1 to route surround to different analogue outputs, like miniDSP flex 8 HT could.

I wonder if 2 X miniDSP could be a user friendly solution.
I really need a Flex 12 HT😂

Last edited:
I've been been listening to some really nice live performances lately.

This one is great

And not quite as good for me but nice

Though I use Qobuz to stream them.

These speakers really do good live performances like no others I've ever owned.

It's to be expected as they are intended to bring out the best of live music in venues.

They are so immediate yet right - get up and boogie, do relaxed, punchy, dynamic etc etc.