Yet Another Cmoy - PCB layout with Eagle and making PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... On the other hand, a 2 x 9V version allows opamp rolling..
2x9V are required for driving medium to high impedance ( 100-600 Ohms) low sensitivity h/p. Regular h/p (16-32 Ohms) can work with CMOYs operating at +/-5V. Higher voltage cause higher thermal dissipation in opamps.

@thelegendaryblah
I agree with the dangers of dual battery setups, but rail splitter (with its limited current) is also prone to failure. And Objective2 amp (with its battery protection) is out of question due to budgetary constraint.In that case single battery, virtual gnd, capacitive coupled o/p is best soln. like Portable 9V Headphone Amplifier - RED - Page119

Regarding the rail splitter, there is a concern about the unequal life of the 2 batteries.
This may result in large voltage difference between V+ and V-.
Say, V+ may read 9 while the V- may read 7.8V.

It is interesting that a simple (and old)circuit like Cmoy can lead to much discussion.

It seems to me that uploading a file here is like learning rocket science~

2x9V are required for driving medium to high impedance ( 100-600 Ohms) low sensitivity h/p. Regular h/p (16-32 Ohms) can work with CMOYs operating at +/-5V. Higher voltage cause higher thermal dissipation in opamps.

@thelegendaryblah
I agree with the dangers of dual battery setups, but rail splitter (with its limited current) is also prone to failure. And Objective2 amp (with its battery protection) is out of question due to budgetary constraint.In that case single battery, virtual gnd, capacitive coupled o/p is best soln. like Portable 9V Headphone Amplifier - RED - Page119

My colleague prefers 2 x 9V as it gives more headroom.

I have never used a Cmoy that I have no idea about the driving capability of it.
Or, on no ground to estimate whether one 9V or 2 x 9V is good.
Maybe, I need to build a p2p prototype... if time allows...

Let me clarify the objectives of this post.

There are 3 aspects of the present discussion:

1. discussion on the functions and hence circuit of the Cmoy;

2. techniques and rules for "good" PCB layout; and,

3. practical issue, e.g. making the PCb smaller and use small size caps, so that the PCB can be put inside a candy can, etc.

For some issues, people may come to consensus easily, whereas it is not so easy for other issues.

Anyway, suggestions and sharing of experience are welcomed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.