Yamaha NS1000 crossover Tweaks

Hi Conny,

I used to think I was the only sound engineer in the world left flying the flag for NS-1000, - and fending off the attacks from guys who'll tell you they are rubbish speakers when of course they've never ever heard them!

So I'm glad to find we are two - there is safety in numbers!

As I mentioned , I don't go by the book with Kontakt 60, I only spray-wash it if using it for relay contacts or edge connectors. otherwise I just squirt it and leave it in, and it does its thing...

(OT - Kontakt Gold =brilliant for gold contacts but expensive!)

Greetings from England,

Gwyn

Kontakt 60 maker's website is here:

http://www.crceurope.com/csp/web/home.csp
and you can get full range of Kontakt's excellent products in the UK from http://www.canford.co.uk/search/DefaultGoogle.aspx?q=Kontakt

..and exciting news for Kontakt 60 fans like Conny and myself...:) , as I've just noticed from the CRC website they've introduced Kontakt 60 Plus...

Other topline spray cleaner links are to Caig Deox-IT distributors:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.15/category.112/ctype.SS/SS.112/.f

and the original German-made Cramolin Contaclean http://www.itwcp.de/en/index.html

Cheers,

Gwyn

Hi you all,

I'm new at this forum and read this tread with a lot of interest. I bought a pair of NS1000 last weekend. When I got home I discovered one of the tweeters was dead. :bawling: . The seller didn't have a system any more, so I couldn't listen to it.

I already bought a set of NS500 tweeters, which I read sound the same. Maybe anyone of you knows if the are technically the same even if they have another serial number. :confused: I also emailed to the German shop that can repair them, but didn't get a reply yet.

Now I'm preparing myself for modding the XO board. I'm going to use PIO's. Don't know yet what type. I'd like to try Russian. Also I'm going to make an external XO-board, change the internal wiring to tin/copper. With these wiring and PIO's I had great results with my ACR RP300's.

I'll let you know what the results are, but it'll take me a few weeks to collect the stuff I guess :D

I think that was me, mine were looking tired when i bought them & the veneer was peeling off a bit at the edges so i took all the speakers out & sanded them back, sanding the peeled of veneer so it blended in with the timber behind it but you'd never know from a distance. They look awesome & i don't think i'll paint them now but i'm still deciding what to coat them with i don't want Estapol as it would be too glossy & i think most things would darker the timber which is a very light yellow. Any ideas? A wax maybe. I've also rewired one with silver wire which has made a nice but not huge difference & i'm about to recap with PEFT Caps from Ukraine. I just got a B-2 & boy do they sound good now, My poor old neighbours they think i'm in a band and we are practising. I'm opposite a Golf Course on the coast down the bottom of Australia so everything is pretty laid back :)

H3D said:
I read somewhere it sounds the same.

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'll say it anyway....

That beryllium tweeter is nothing special! :bigeyes:

IMO, it performs no better than any reasonably good modern tweeter. How do I figure that? Well, when I got my NS-1000's, both tweeters were shot. I replaced then with new ones, eventually, but before that I installed a pair of those 4 ohm tweeters that ApexJr sells. They did just fine there, adjusted for correct sensitivity. When I later fitted the new Yamaha tweets I expected to hear a substantial improvement, but that never happened: sound quality was more or less similar.

I believe it is in the midrange driver that all the magic lies and that beryllium, as implemented on the tweeter, yields no significant advantage wrt conventional domes.

There is a difference between the NS-1000's tweeter (JA-0153), they are very similar to the NS-500'S & the NS-2000's but after seeing all the part numbers they are different. I got my tweeters back from Musik Weidergabe in Germany & they're great after burning in, i think it's the best thing to do after trying to source new or used ones. They were $300 Euro & took 2 months but that was with 2 week shipping each way from Australia. Is there any chance that after re-capping these wonderful speakers that there wasn't a huge difference in quality? There sounding soo good at the moment with the B-2 that i kind of don't want to disturb that.

Attachments

• dscn0519.jpg
    dscn0519.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 657
By Shaun:
That beryllium tweeter is nothing special!
Respectfully, Shaun: You don´t mention any crossover upgrades, which is THE place to start. Otherwise they will not sound as good as they are able to. The "Beryllium Special" is the absolute lack of coloration,and the ability to reveal just that in the signal chain.You just may be barking up the wrong tree.
As I said in an earlier comment: my old NS1000s did OK. Then I replaced the x/o caps with SCR MKP:s, speakers like new!
Finally I cleaned the level-pots with Kontakt 60, and voila!
Coils and internal cabling were resoldered but kept original.

My take as an experienced warrior in sound engineering, a field where one demands the most accurate tool for the job is:
Finding anything near as good as the NS1000, amplification included, will set you back at least 6000 Euros for a pair.
Such as the ATC SCM 50A.

Soundguy: No Offense, youy have done loads more studio work than I will ever do, but I too want the speaker system to respond and inform when I´m off the mark:) .

Beachmountain said:
Respectfully, Shaun: You don´t mention any crossover upgrades, which is THE place to start. Otherwise they will not sound as good as they are able to. The "Beryllium Special" is the absolute lack of coloration,and the ability to reveal just that in the signal chain.You just may be barking up the wrong tree.

Well, I was relating my subjective experience. It may be that the substitute tweet was also not as coloured in the band it was playing in, or the level it was playing at. I'm absolutely convinced of the beryllium mid's performance; I just expected more from the tweeter.

Here's my pile of upgrade material. Hopefully I can get it in the box.

As my transport's drawer failed yesterday I'm looking for a temporary replacement. Is the Kiss DP1500 internally the same except for the ability to attach it to the computer network?

Attachments

• onderdelen.jpg
    onderdelen.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 630
Hugomac.
I think ELFA charges around 1000 SEK for SCR caps for two x/o:s
Probably cheaper in the UK;).
I hope this photo will be included, never done this before :).

If not, e-mail me and i will reply.
Not too difficult to swap. Lift out the big electrolytics, leave the sixpack in place, they ARE bitches to get out in one piece....
Solder in the new ones, use melt-glue to secure them.

Best rgds/Conny

I know the difference

Hi you all,

I received the tweeters of the NS-500 and there's one big difference: the size :xeye: They don't fit in the NS-1000. So I will get the original one repaired in Germany.

Besides this I heard the speakers for the first time unmodified and this is very promissing. I'll keep you posted of my findings this weekend. By sunday the new XO should be in.:D

Beachmountain said:
My take as an experienced warrior in sound engineering, a field where one demands the most accurate tool for the job is:
Finding anything near as good as the NS1000, amplification included, will set you back at least 6000 Euros for a pair.
Such as the ATC SCM 50A.
[/B]

I was very glad to hear you say this, if you are saying the ATC SCM 50 is as good as or better than the NS 1000.

The last time I had the opportunity to listen to the NS 1000s was when they were current on the market - and then, almost certainly not with what would be considered a good amplifier by today's standards.

I did have the opportunity to buy a pair of NS 1000s recently when I was looking for an upgrade in studio monitors for acoustic recordings, including orchestra. The choice came down to these or Klein und Hummel 0300s with subs. After much agonizing I went with the K+H. In the process I learned of a comparison that was done in SLovenia between the ATC SCM50 and the K+H 0410 which is substantially cheaper. The sound from the K+Hs was liked "much, much more", and they are much cheaper. The studio owner immediately replaced his ATC set up with 3 K+H 410s for L,C,R, 2 K+H 0810subs and two K+H 0300 surrounds.

Anyway, it was good to see you mention the ATCs in this context. Now I feel reassured that I am on the right path.

I have yet to hear from anyone who has heard the NS1000s with appropriate amplification compared to the K+H 0410, but that would be a fascinating comparo, especially given the similarity in size and fundamental configuration.