XY LM3886 Kit Review & Measurements

Buyers on eBay have a lot of rights, sellers not so much. As a buyer you can complain about a lot of things , true or not, eBay will not try to investigate the situation , seller needs to come with a plan to fix the situation, most of the time to pay the buyer a portion of the initial value of the item. I'm talking up to 75% of the initial agreement.
That sucks for seller ....

Whatever I'm still out $550. The only reason I got anything back is because that weasel Chris Calleson ripped somebody else off and Playmepal seized it and gave it to me. I wrote it off a long time ago.

Fast Eddie, you will still need the PayPal account to buy from tom anyway..

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Where do I sign up for that beer, buffalo grove or Skokie?

You live in Buffalo Grove?

I don't hangout much, but I do go to Cigar King on Lincoln Ave. in Skokie https://www.cigarking.com/cigar-king-skokie/ a real man cave. You can BYOB and smoke inside (a rarity in Illinois). I live about a mile from there.

OK Tom , i got it! I'll remember that.
Great xy kit amplifier review you got here. I remember that I built one of those long time ago, I'll post a picture if I find it in the garage.
Remember that I told you most of the diyaudio guys start projects , finish them and then toss them in one of the finished project boxes??
That's how I am , at least ....

This is my xy amp , my caps are nichicon ka and pw , wima mkp10 .
The chip is 100% authentic and the amp sounded ok , but of course I don't have the tools to check the distortion and all that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 782
Reactions: 1 user
Use zobel instead 0.1r on output and 100-200p in input. Solder 22kohm resistor direct under board from output to input pin....why use so long snake line. I dont see any 100-330nf small capacitors on supply line near supply pinsf. On input solder at least 22uf MUSE green under the board. For better bass response.

There is an XY Thread. It lists some of the faults and fixes for the Old XY pcb. It also discusses briefly the New XY pcb.
There may be two XY Threads?

The XY pcb is cheap and small. That makes it attractive. But it needs to be fixed to improve performance.
Fitting a fake chipamp and publishing those results does no one a service.

I don't get it.

You test a chinese pcb with fake components, and yours with genuine ones. How can you then attribute the differences in distortion to the PCB? You know that you can't.

It would only be interesting if you had tested both PCB's with known good chips. Now it is marketing.

Edit: see that it has come up already, wonder why it hasn't been done yet.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I don't get it.

You test a chinese pcb with fake components, and yours with genuine ones. How can you then attribute the differences in distortion to the PCB? You know that you can't.

It's a complete kit that you buy. Not sure I see the problem personally, as the seller claimed it was a 3886. It would be useful to also get a data point with a known to spec chip, but is anyone willing to paypal Tom a few $ for the cost of the parts and his time? He will test anything you want on his AP if you pay him a small amount, which is a much needed service for those of us without access to state of the art labs.

I'd bung $5 to see this happen if anyone else wants to actually know. Sort the seekers of knowledge from the peanut chuckers :)

I never said that the differences in distortion were ONLY due to the effects of the layout. Of course the fact that the XY board was delivered with a fake IC plays in as well.

I compared Kit A with Kit B.

It would only be interesting if you had tested both PCB's with known good chips.

I disagree. Judging from the many "is my device fake" threads here, there are clearly many who buy parts on eBay and expect to receive real parts and well engineered products. Otherwise, why buy the products in the first place? All I did was comparing the kit as-ordered from eBay versus the kit as-ordered from me and Mouser. I don't understand why that's an invalid comparison. Would you please elaborate?

I don't understand the idea that I should buy components on eBay and throw them away because they're "known fakes" and then build the circuit with different parts. That seems like strong hindsight bias to me.

Edit: see that it has come up already, wonder why it hasn't been done yet.

Because there's only one of me and only 24 hours in my day. I was curious to see what kind of performance one would get with the XY kit, so I bought one, assembled it, and measured it. I volunteered my time, money, expertise, and test equipment. I am currently out of volunteering time as I have paying projects lined up. I will focus on those along with the projects that align better with my business strategy and focus. Should you wish to have the measurements performed on your schedule, you're free to purchase my measurement services through my website.

I have already committed to measuring the XY board with a real LM3886. It will happen. However, it will have to wait until the next time I have resources (money and time) available to volunteer.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
I never said that the differences in distortion were ONLY due to the effects of the layout. Of course the fact that the XY board was delivered with a fake IC plays in as well.

Sorry Tom, everybody who read this thread knows you attributed the better measurements to your lay out skills. We'll see what happens with a genuine chip. In the meanwhile, the XY board is not bad at all as I found. On easy loads it delivers up to specs.

Sorry Tom, everybody who read this thread knows you attributed the better measurements to your lay out skills.

Have you asked everybody who have read this thread or are you assuming that the conclusion you reached applies to everybody?

We'll see what happens with a genuine chip. In the meanwhile, the XY board is not bad at all as I found. On easy loads it delivers up to specs.

Does it? Not according to my measurements. You may want to read the first couple of posts in this thread. While you're reading those posts, I'm curious for which part of them made you conclude that I blame the lacklustre performance of the XY kit on the layout alone.

I sincerely apologize for presenting measurements and a honest review based in science. Clearly such behaviour is not appreciated or tolerated.

Tom

well we know at least one peanut chucker.

Exactly Bill! :cuss:

The penny pinching acrimonious myopic diyaudio members :troll: can check out now! :shutup:

I sincerely apologize for presenting measurements and a honest review based in science. Clearly such behaviour is not appreciated or tolerated.

March on Tom! Never give up! Never surrender! :smash:

Best,
Anand.

Soooo many threads end up like this. Cool down. Great testing of the two amps Tom.
I am still curious about how a XY populated with good components would sound.
If you are interested I'll make one and send it to you for testing Tom:).
Have PCB's and some good original chips.
Or maybe someone who lives closer can?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.

I appreciate the offer of shipping boards and parts to me. However, the cost of shipping exceeds the cost of the parts in many cases. As an alternative to shipping boards across the world, those who would like to contribute a bit to my efforts, are more than welcome to hit the Donate button on my website. It can be found about 3/4 down the Taming the LM3886 Chip Amp page - just above the last picture on the page.

I'll need an LM3886 (real from TI, no more fakes!) and a 0.15 Ω, 5 W resistor. And some time.

Thanks,

Tom