XSim free crossover designer

There is a YouTuber named ImpulseAudio using x-sim 3D. It has bafflestep and driver location input fields. I cannot find this. Anyone know about this version?
Thanks.
Greg

Just be aware that XSim 3D was never finished and has some bugs. And as Ryan (aka ImpulseAudio) pointed out, the baffle step calculation isn't implemented. See the attachment for clarification.

Attachments

• Xsim 3D.JPG
    Xsim 3D.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 396
I have been using xsim for a few projects, as I find it intuitive and easy to work with, especially the schematic part. Also nice to be able to bring up a lot of different graphs with step response, group delay, currents etc.

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to bring it up, but I have a few thoughts/wishes/questions. Maybe there are ways to do this that I don't know about, and it might even be somewhere in this massive thread earlier (sorry, I did not take the time to read it all..).

-Open a project with the same view (graphs/settings) as when last saved. For example I always want to show FR+PH for individual drivers, and no phase for summed response. Same dB scale would be nice too.

-Some way to 'hide' the phase of a driver once the response is down 30dB or so, seeing the phase of a woofer in a 3-way at 10kHz is not interesting, it just messes up the graph.

-Some easy way to 'toggle' each FR/PH graph (for drivers) on/off, or phase plot should be turned off in the graph when a driver is muted.

-Some easy way to add easily adjustable (slope/q/frequency) target slopes in the graph without creating 'virtual' drivers in the schematic or fixed frd-files.

-Ctrl+scroll command or similar to zoom in/out schematic and graphs.

Last, but not least, I would like to thank the creator(s) for an awesome program that is free!

Hi everyone!
I've started an 4 ways open baffle project with:
2 x Beyma SM118N on the bottom
1 x 18Sound 12ND610 8ohm

1 x 18Sound 6ND410 8ohm

1 x Satori TW29RN-B

Baffle is 140cm x 50cm

I'd like to go passive at least between 18Sound 12ND610 and 18Sound 6ND410 and to use them as wise as possible.

I measured them with DATS V2 and Omnimic but I am not sure about my Omnimic results.

Can you please advise me with a passive crossover for these two drivers?
Thank you!

Hi everyone!
I've started an 4 ways open baffle project with:
2 x Beyma SM118N on the bottom
1 x 18Sound 12ND610 8ohm

1 x 18Sound 6ND410 8ohm

1 x Satori TW29RN-B

Baffle is 140cm x 50cm

I'd like to go passive at least between 18Sound 12ND610 and 18Sound 6ND410 and to use them as wise as possible.

I measured them with DATS V2 and Omnimic but I am not sure about my Omnimic results.

Can you please advise me with a passive crossover for these two drivers?
Thank you!

There are de .zma and. frd files in an zip archive. I hope that someone who have skills to handle this software to give me some wise suggestion for these two drivers. I think I will go active for the rest or maybe again passive with the tweeter at least.
Thank you!

Attachments

• zma&frd.zip
    18 KB · Views: 69
Hi everyone!

I am building an on-wall kitchen speaker. It is 2-way speaker with shallow boxes, 1" dome tweeters and 5" woofers. They are SB acoustics sb13pfcr25-8 and sb26stcn-c000-4.

I made measurements in the position they will be installed in and also sketched crossovers in Xsim, please see pictures.

Does it look reasonable? Any comments welcome.

Attachments

• Xover.PNG
    Xover.PNG
    89 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_20200730_140630.jpg
    IMG_20200730_140630.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 388
Kimmosto, thank you very much for your comment.
Unfortunately it does not help much due to my limited experience with speaker building and Xsim software. I made measurements on the position the speakers will be placed on the wall, about 1m from the speaker and 3-5 degrees off axis. I have not calibrated the power to 1 watt, so the db/watt ratio is not appropriate. However, it is consistent between the woofer and the tweeter.

May I please ask you to be more specific so that a newbie like me can understand what is not correct and how to move forward.

Thanks again.

^I don't like to hijack this thread and advertise some other design philosophies, methods and software too much. At least design axis should be higher e.g. about 15 deg to design with single response per driver, or more off-axis measurements per driver captured and speaker simulated at least to half space in horizontal and vertical planes to get some estimation of power response and listening window average etc. which define overall/average sound balance in the room. My signature has links to different approach.

Next example is worse case than your project due to 6.5" woofer and box shape, but shows how bad could happen to "sound balance benchmarks" when optimizing axial only with too steep XO, without knowing anything else than axial measurements show.

Attachments

• PTT6.5+SB26_FIR Power+DI.png
    PTT6.5+SB26_FIR Power+DI.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 399
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Does it look reasonable? Any comments welcome.
I think it is a good start. I would consider rounding the edges because it is close to the wall. This helps where diffractions may double up by reflections from the wall. I understand that at lower frequencies this can turn into a benefit.

I think your Xsim crossover is a good start. By using a low crossover you are making sure the power response is better. You should see if the treble is the right level for you, some may like a small downward slope.

Hi all. I've been dead scared of wasting money on a full DIY project.

Can you look at this DXO file for me?

I like a relaxed speaker, with laid-back highs.

Main concern: I've added -3db in the tweeter, as i suspect the level of it to be lower than the graph tells me. It's a 4 ohm unit, it's specs says sens: 86, but the graps is more like 91.
Also: I'm still in doubt, than I can just simulate a crossover, and it works in practice. Can it really be true?

DX20BF00-04
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1472--tymphany-dx20bf00-04-spec-sheet.pdf

Designer DS135-8 Bass-midwoofer
Dayton Audio - DS135-8 5" Designer Series Woofer Speaker 8 Ohm

Attachments

• DX20BF00 DS135-8.dxo
    65.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: