• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

XSD Speaker Crossover and Waveguide GB

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have asked the OEM vendor for more quality control measures like an impedance sweep prior to shipment. I won’t be able to provide any until I make a production run of the commercial XSD. I would suggest you buy from PE and if it has issues, send back for exchange. PE is pretty good about that. It might be several more months before I am able to offer them as part of a GB as it’s linked to the commercial speaker.
What is the "screening protocol" to check these drivers? Don't know if I have the equipment, but otherwise I won't know if it's good until first fireup.

Thanks,

Russellc

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Use a calibrated measurement microphone and REW software. Mount tweeter securely to something - even a bench vise etc can work. Measure with mic 0.5m away and sweep at 2vrms and look at distortion. It should not have a large anomalous elevated bump of distortion around 2kHz that can be as large as -30dB. Should be closer to -40dB to -50dB. I still need to check impedance sweep between good and bad. But suspect it might not show much.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I also have a early model of a popular speaker design mic, but I dont know that it is calibrated. I need to hunt that box up and have a look. Seems like I remember something about later models being calibrated, that was in earlier 2000's during the Econowave building days. Once zilch died, so did my advances in measurement.

Russellc

Hi X,
Nice project! As this will be a commercial offering, two things to consider: the visible screws on the side for the wings have DIY spelled all over them, maybe this will be covered in final production run- and having any visible spaghetti of wires on the back as seen on prototypes would probably lessen the WAF quite a bit. I would consider routing them in a recess on the backbone and cover that recess with, say, a U frame aluminium profile flush with the backbone.
Cheers!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The production units will be one piece front and wings, no screws. Good idea about a cover for wires. Another idea is cover the back with speaker cloth. Some zip ties and cable anchors can do wonders on the diy version.

1657573244729.jpeg

1657573283804.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I know several people already starting on the cabinets. The iron core inductors should be here any day now and I can finally ship the XO kits out very soon. I appreciate everyone’s patience on this. It would have been another month+ if we waited for the inductors to arrive from back order on Parts Express.

Reactions: 1 users
The production units will be one piece front and wings, no screws. Good idea about a cover for wires. Another idea is cover the back with speaker cloth. Some zip ties and cable anchors can do wonders on the diy version.

View attachment 1071395
View attachment 1071396
XRK,
You are showing Noico strips straddling the wiring terminals in the upper pic. Is this an additional dampening precaution that we DIYers need to take? Is it due to the

View attachment 1071395
View attachment 1071396
XRK,
You are showing two Noico strips straddling the tweeter wiring terminals. Is this a precaution we DIYers need to take too? Is it related to your mid & tweeters mounted on a removable panel rather than on a monolithic front panel?
J. H. Clark

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I added that to see if cabinet panel resonance could be reduced. This was when I was chasing some distortion in the 6FE100 that was inherent in the driver itself. When I switched to 5MR450NDY it went away. So not needed. Also if one piece baffle (no removable panel) there is less chance for resonance of the smaller panel. So no, it’s not required.

Reactions: 1 user