XO powersupply PCB board diagram

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Clocxk power supply

fmak said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knows, unless you measure it!

I think there is more to it than noise spec. KK Hos power supply is not as quiet as Guido's but to my ears sounds very good.

It is also small and very easy to mount!

Yes, there is more than noise (sensitivity of fed back currents for example) and yes, it is an elegant circuit.

Ciao

Re: Re: Clock power supply

fmak said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knows, unless you measure it!

I think there is more to it than noise spec. KK Hos power supply is not as quiet as Guido's but to my ears sounds very good.

It is also small and very easy to mount!

KK Hos power supply.
On this site?:
http://www.kk-electronic.dk/default.aspx?l2=3&action=page
Who, what is KK Hos???
:confused: :confused: :confused: :bawling:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clock power supply

fmak said:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Search in Trading Post. K K Ho is an electronics engineer in Hong Kong.

Fred M.,
Now this is interresting as I tried to find KK Ho using the forums searchengine. Negative, nada, zip.
Then I tried worldwide Google and found it in one millisecond!:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=25777
Not much information what is on Ho's PCB or clock though.
:bawling:

Re: How noisy

Fred Dieckmann said:
My buddy Jay says that the LEDs are quieter than most voltage references. Sticking a 1 K resistor between the LED Stack and the 100uF will drop to noise to A.R. levels. Beau refused to draw a new schematic but I may get my sweety Fay Zemargin to do it.

Hi Fred,
Yes I know. You can even add additional RC sections effectively increasing the order of the filter. I believe the noise of the transistor becomes the limiting factor. It was all in this link:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/add.automation/spice/ripple.htm
But it is dead for some time.:bawling:

Whether a follower or "something else" is best for a clock circuit remains to be seen. :xeye:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clock power supply

Elso Kwak said:

Fred M.,
Now this is interresting as I tried to find KK Ho using the forums searchengine. Negative, nada, zip.
Then I tried worldwide Google and found it in one millisecond!:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=25777
Not much information what is on Ho's PCB or clock though.
:bawling:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you buy from him, he will let you have circuit.

Re: Paging Mr. K.K. Ho

Elso Kwak said:

Fmak,
An emailaddress or website referring to Mr. Ho would be helpful. I can't find any more information about his clock and powersupply.
Thanks in advance.
:confused:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do a post in Trading Post about TCXO by K K Ho and ask for his email. I am not sure he wants his email disclosed in public.

schematics

I've been away for two days.
Guido, Do you mean something like this:

Attachments

• xo.gif
    xo.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 762
fmax measures

Fred,
Was not "8 to 10 nV/Sqrrt Hz" the noise you get when you made the measures within the TL1763?

Something more:
Could any of you advise on the design to build a psu with a separate trafo, instead of using the supply from one of the regulators in the CD player?

Pedro.

Re: fmax measures

pedro said:
Fred,
Was not "8 to 10 nV/Sqrrt Hz" the noise you get when you made the measures within the TL1763?

Something more:
Could any of you advise on the design to build a psu with a separate trafo, instead of using the supply from one of the regulators in the CD player?

Pedro.

Hi Pedro,
I always advise using the raw digital supply of the player. Meaning connecting the clock at he bridge rectifier or the main filter caps of the digital supply.
Some emails I received confirm this is the best approach, sonically.
Of course clock mongers do want to sell an extra supply with transformer. Or YMMV!
Also I tried recently again a preregulator like the LM317 with bypassed adjustment pin and the result (sonically), was worse than without preregulator.
But again YMMV.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: schematics

pedro said:
I've been away for two days.
Guido, Do you mean something like this:

That's what I call a short circuit ! Please have a closer look at the PCB and you'll see what I mean. Pins 8 and 4 ( 5V and GND ) are shorted. The layout in post 11 was better except for the location of the 47 uF OSCON.

I advise a separate supply/transformer with any clock to avoid ground loops. When a separate supply is used there simply can't be a loop because you only connect ground at the ground of the cdplayers pcb ( at just one point ).

When an internal supply is used there is a possibility that the ground via the clock board will be a lower impedance "bypass" of the ground path of the cdplayer ( as experienced by me with various Philips cdplayers ). That can have nasty side effects like hearing the drawer/tray motor over your speakers, intermediate humm/noise that's hard to trace etc. Besides that the clock can cause stray RF that causes the supply to become "dirty". Measurements confirmed this. I don't comment on sonical differences. A ground loop is a ground loop, add the RF to it and that's enough for me. I did not like the 3-wire technique ( sharing the output and power ground over 1 wire ) as used by some clock manufacturers although it does not have the disadvantage of a ground loop.

When a separate supply is not possible please only use the raw digital supply as suggested. The analog and servo supplies have a hard time already... Take your time and make a drawing of how you want to wire the new clock. Ground is again the keyword here. Shielding of the clock is not a luxury and using shielded cable is a pre. Some turns of the output coax through a ferrite core avoids RF to wander across the shield of your cables.

Re: Re: Groundloop?

jean-paul said:

I advise a separate supply/transformer with any clock to avoid ground loops. When a separate supply is used there simply can't be a loop because you only connect ground at the ground of the cdplayers pcb ( at just one point ).

Jean-Paul,
I don't see a groundloop with my approach. Of course I connect the ground of the clock PCB with one wire only to the ground of the player.:bigeyes: :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.