XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Lucian, for the 5-pin header for the USB panel-mount input option, you have them labelled as SHD, GND, DT+, DT-, +5V in that order.

Why are the DT+ and DT- pins transposed compared to standard USB assemblies which seem to have the wires in this order: BLK, BLK, GRN, WHT, RED in that order? According to what I find on the 'net GRN is DT- and WHT is DT+.

Are the wires meant to be in this order instead: BLK, BLK, WHT, GRN, RED?

Please clarify. Thanks.

Aaargghhh - Lorien Help!

I attempted to install the new Thesycon driver package on W8.1 tonight and it would not load.

The installer runs but fails with a "driver pre-installation failed" message.

I tried disabling Windows Driver Signing enforcement but without success. Now I have no music and don't really want to reload windows 8 and start again!

Mark

I attempted to install the new Thesycon driver package on W8.1 tonight and it would not load.

The installer runs but fails with a "driver pre-installation failed" message.

I tried disabling Windows Driver Signing enforcement but without success. Now I have no music and don't really want to reload windows 8 and start again!

Mark
Oh dear - sorry to hear that. I run WIndows Server 2012 R2 which has the same kernel as 8.1; have no idea though if it enforces driver pre-signing. I could try 2.15 install but am wary of course with your issues.

Have you tried re-installing v1.67 again to overwrite 2.15? Might require some registry editing to 'fool' Windows into allowing it.

Anyone else tried installing 2.15? I did not know it was available until I saw your post.

Any ideas Lorien?

Hi

Yes, tried reinstalling 1.67 to no avail - 8.1 won't let me install that either!

I may have to revert to a (fresh) W8 install. My original 1.67 install was on W8 and went without a hitch.

That'll teach me for jumping in with both feet:(

Just one of the joys of paying The Man for a flaky OS, I guess.

Sorry to hear that.

I think we need Lorien to say whether this might be a systemic issue with 2.15 as I believe that he has to modify the driver to work with our WaveIO.

Or perhaps it is a quirk of your installation. Have you modified it from standard at all?

I find it difficult to believe that a company like Thesycon who have an excellent reputation for drivers would issue a release that was flawed in such a way.

No mods or peculiar "optimisations".

By default W8.1 enforces driver signing aggressively, but you can turn it off. Tried going through that rigmarole several times without progress.

10pm last night I gave up and reloaded W8Pro 64bit - 2.15 installed without issue. Fortunately the pc is dedicated to music replay so not much else to reinstall. Will re-apply W8.1 sometime over the festive period.

An evening wasted however...:mad:

Pleased to hear that music has resumed.

It may be that the issue is with 8.1 (and therefore WS 2012 R2) rather than Win 8 then. Have to say that 1.67 installed onto WS2012 R2 with no issues at all.

I will also see if I can install 2.15 on WS 2012 R2 over the festive season. I use an image back-up tool called Drive Snapshot which I highly recommend for such risky procedures and I have tested its Restore functionality several times (successfully!).

Let's share first impressions on 2.15 SQ in this thread, when we both have it running on 8.1/WS 2102 R2. I found 8 to 8.1 made a big difference and is explained by the fact that Microsoft apparently rewrote a lot of the audio stuff for the 8.1 kernel shared by WS 2012 R2.

Hello guys,
I'm sorry for this mess with latest driver version! I didn't had the chance to run extensive tests on it... but there was some pressure put on me to release it sooner so here it is! On my behalf I'll say it all the time I'll have the chance: I hate Windows and especially the 8(.x) version. I should give it a try and instal a trial release (I guess there's such a thing over net) but when I remember that I did it some time ago and took me a while just to find that damn 'shut down' button... my mood is simply vanish.
On the other hand, I put some pressure on Thesycon too, just to find a way to make the drivers more 'secure' and be tied only to just a product and not all products based on XMOS designs :confused:
Well, they tried to solve the issue some extent and released this driver pack which seems is not working as expected.... and guess what: it does show problems when it comes to signatures! I'm not surprised about the results still I though that, as long as this new driver pack is a "release", it should be stable up to some point! Seems that I was wrong!
I'll try to install 8.1 and see now things are going on my side, maybe it is something that I did wrong (BTW I tested the driver pack before release in Vista and 7 and it was/is okay)... If it's otherwise, I'll forward the issue to Thesycon to chew it as better as they can.
For the moment, I simply want to spend my Christmas 'in peace' and not ruin it by trying to install an OS that I hate :eek:
I do suggest for all of you to do the same: keep your peace and enjoy the music!
Merry Christmas to all :santa::cheers:

Lorien - Please don't think I am laying this issue at your door. I totally blame Microsoft for the way they implement driver management. And as Sidiropa performed the same upgrade without issue, clearly something in the configuration of my PC played a part, so others may not have problems.

The big downside is having to get the pc out of the music room, lug it into the study to get an internet connection, update W8, then perform the W8.1 update again, which is not a speedy process. My experience is also that W8.1 offers a significantly cleaner, smoother reproduction using either KS or Wasapi so is worth doing.

Have a good Christmas one and all.

Mark

Lorien - Please don't think I am laying this issue at your door. I totally blame Microsoft for the way they implement driver management. And as Sidiropa performed the same upgrade without issue, clearly something in the configuration of my PC played a part, so others may not have problems.

The big downside is having to get the pc out of the music room, lug it into the study to get an internet connection, update W8, then perform the W8.1 update again, which is not a speedy process. My experience is also that W8.1 offers a significantly cleaner, smoother reproduction using either KS or Wasapi so is worth doing.

Have a good Christmas one and all.

Mark

Mark
I finally got fed up with loading and reloading WINXP and ASIO drivers. I took the plung and tried LUBUNTU linux on a laptop. It is free, installs in 15 mins and has the Drivers built in. I am now a convert and have an LUBUNTU laptop upstairs, downstairs and an even slimmer version of Linux dedicated to music. Most of them are old junkers that now work great. At some point, give it a go with an old machine. You might never go back to MS.

Yes, I am thinking it might be an opportune time to revisit a Linux solution. Daphile or Vortexbox look like appealing options. I have no desire to get into Linux as a learning experience, not even a quick visit to the command line. Been there, failed at that!

Last time I went down this path though I found it just as much effort to get a bit perfect stream out of Mint as getting something musical out of Windows.

Yes, I am thinking it might be an opportune time to revisit a Linux solution. Daphile or Vortexbox look like appealing options. I have no desire to get into Linux as a learning experience, not even a quick visit to the command line. Been there, failed at that!

Last time I went down this path though I found it just as much effort to get a bit perfect stream out of Mint as getting something musical out of Windows.

Things are evolving now:
You should try raspyfi or Volumio, they are really easy to use. You can write a simple image on the sd card, put it into the Raspberry Pi (or Beaglebone, Cuubox or other embedded ARM designs) connect the device to your network and go to the GUI with an internet explorer to adjust all your settings. No command line needed!