XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

The usb power jumper setup correctly on Waveio?

daphile maybe needs to install on a HDD not an usb stick.

Attachments

• J8 Selection pin.jpg
    J8 Selection pin.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 416
I still got no response from Thesycon yet but I'm wondering if your WaveIO is in good shape, Felipe!
@ danico: thank you for your kind words and for letting me know about the delivery of your WaveIO, really appreciated! I also kindly ask you to PM me with your full name so I can know which board got in your country and was successfully delivered.
@ xcj999: I made few measures back in 2014 especially to know the amount of current WaveIO needs in certain cases but now I saw I only have those for the isolator chip. :confused: The rest of them have probably been lost due to my last HDD failure.
Anyway, I'll remake those measurements only for highest sample rate this time (352 & 384) and tell you exactly the amount of current your WaveIO needs. My Agilent DMM is good at measuring it! Other than that, 650 mAmps seems to be a bit too much so might possible that your shunt PSU will dissipate a lot of heat!
Please allow me a couple of days to run the measurements!
Kind regards,
L

P.S. @ Felipe: as soon as I'll have an answer I'll let you know! Meanwhile, please decide if would it be possible for you to ship back your WaveIO card here for further investigation (in case it's needed)!

Last edited:
Yes.

Why, Amanero don't need it on a HDD?

I use my WaveIO with Daphile on USB stick for 2 years. Does not require any additional driver.

I think your board might have problem, so even Windows, it is not recognized.

Hi Lorien, I just upgrade DSD firmware for my board. But in the Daphile, option Native DSD has been greyed out. Is it a failed upgrade or Daphile need a new driver for upgraded board?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I still got no response from Thesycon yet but I'm wondering if your WaveIO is in good shape, Felipe!
@ danico: thank you for your kind words and for letting me know about the delivery of your WaveIO, really appreciated! I also kindly ask you to PM me with your full name so I can know which board got in your country and was successfully delivered.
@ xcj999: I made few measures back in 2014 especially to know the amount of current WaveIO needs in certain cases but now I saw I only have those for the isolator chip. :confused: The rest of them have probably been lost due to my last HDD failure.
Anyway, I'll remake those measurements only for highest sample rate this time (352 & 384) and tell you exactly the amount of current your WaveIO needs. My Agilent DMM is good at measuring it! Other than that, 650 mAmps seems to be a bit too much so might possible that your shunt PSU will dissipate a lot of heat!
Please allow me a couple of days to run the measurements!
Kind regards,
L

P.S. @ Felipe: as soon as I'll have an answer I'll let you know! Meanwhile, please decide if would it be possible for you to ship back your WaveIO card here for further investigation (in case it's needed)!

Do you have Thesycon news?

As I know WaveIO still not support native DSD512?

TIA
Felipe

Hi All,

I'm wrapping up installing a Wave IO onto my Opus dac and have a question that I didn't see an answer for in my forum searches. I'll be powering the wave IO from a separate 5 vdc PSU and also plan to hook the isolated I2S Wave IO outputs to my DAC. I understand that I need a 5vdc or 3.3 vdc source to power the isolator function. Can I simply run a jumper from the (+) terminal where I would hook up the external power(J12) to the +5 v pin on the isolated I2S header(J6) ? Would I also need to hook up a jumper from the (-) terminal at J12 to one of the the isolated gnd pins ?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi All,

I'm wrapping up installing a Wave IO onto my Opus dac and have a question that I didn't see an answer for in my forum searches. I'll be powering the wave IO from a separate 5 vdc PSU and also plan to hook the isolated I2S Wave IO outputs to my DAC. I understand that I need a 5vdc or 3.3 vdc source to power the isolator function. Can I simply run a jumper from the (+) terminal where I would hook up the external power(J12) to the +5 v pin on the isolated I2S header(J6) ? Would I also need to hook up a jumper from the (-) terminal at J12 to one of the the isolated gnd pins ?

Thanks,

Paul

You could.... But the idea is to separate the grounds.

Guys, quick question: Does Waveio require the 5v USB to be connected in order to be recognised by Windows? I have read that it doesn't but I cannot get it to be recognised without it so I am assuming that it does...or I may have a jumper set incorrectly!

[edit] Just to provide some more detail. I was hoping to be able to switch the 5v line off in the USB cable either completely or once windows has recognised the Waveio. What happens is that if I permanently disconnect the 5v, the card is not detected and if I switch off the 5v once the card has been detected then the card is no longer recognised correctly (I've installed a switch inline).

Can Lorien or anyone confirm whether what I am trying to achieve should be possible and/or whether I have a jumper wrong?

Many thanks,
Crom

Last edited:
@Crom, check post 2295..I think it may have the answer you are looking for?

Hi NickD,
Thanks very much for your help - I hadn't seen that but I did know that was important - this is the link for interested parties:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ronous-usb-i2s-interface-230.html#post4224086

I have made sure that the GND is in place between PC and Waveio but still no go.

It's not a major issue but I've read loads that things sound a little better without the 5v connected and I wanted to try it out.

@ Crom: USB3318 ULPI chip I'm using on WaveIO does have a pin called "VBUS" (pin #2) which is directly connected to the +5V USB wire. I'm assuming it's not placed there for nothing... There's no sarcasm used here... I'm only saying this because I didn't have the chance to dig into the very depths of USB data transmission (as it wasn't required so far) since I'm focused on other fields (hardware mostly).
Anyway, I do "feel" most of the problems, many related to 'custom' USB cable (where +5V USB wire is not connected intentionally), have this broken connection as a starting point in solving those issues! GND is excluded!
As for your board, I do remember that you had some problems with USB multiplexer (or am I wrong?). That chip is also a weak point but it will be properly addressed on next PCB revision.

Have connected my WAVEIO to an OPUS DAC and have got everything working, however I have 2 question. When connected to a windows laptop, when first switched on the 48khz LED is lit until it starts playing, is this the default? Secondly when being driven by a Raspberry Pi there is no sample rate indication. I seem to remember seeing that this is normal but just wanted to check.

Thanks for getting back to me Lorien. I had read differing reports about whether +5v needs to be connected either at all, just for handshake, or continuously and I am trying to get to the bottom of it.

The reason I'm interested is (similarly) I've read various reports about the benefits to sound quality with the +5v disconnected - but obviously GND left - (or even disconnected after handshake) and I wanted to test these for myself.

I can't get the card to be detected without +5v connected and if I leave +5 connected until after handshake (a few seconds) and then disconnect, then the card is immediately no longer detected.

Hi guys,

Just want to add a testimonial : I had a very good result with the Wave I/O outputting with the non isolated side with true uf-l 50 ohms cable feeding directly the PCM board of IanCanadafor simultaneous mode ! It seems that the crystals of the Wave I/O boards feeding with the Mclk the Mclk input of the PCM board makes a very good job ! Good combo !

If you have a PCM dac chip (TDA1541A, PCM1704, etc), this two boards combo works just fine to my ears ! Despite it doesn't use the isolated output.

cheers