XA30.5 and noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find this thread very interesting. I've got an Aleph 4 and an F5 and both are completely black silent even with my ears pressed against the speaker cones.

It would be interesting to see what happens if the PSU is replaced with car batteries. That would tell us if the problem is mains borne.

I have checked all the 16 main circiuts in my house now. It is no difference if all except the HiFi circuit is disabled. But....i measure 160 volt from one phase to earth on different places in the house, this is wrong and it is leak to earth some place, maybe at a neighbour?

If this is relevant for the noise i dont know.

Normally the gain setting on the XO is max both for high and low. But now The XO is disabled, i am testing a 100% passive XO.

I have posted two more videos at YouTube.

The conclusion is that the basic amplifier noise is quite similar with another 26 dB gain class A amp i have. My other amp is more dark sounding than XA30.5 therefore it is a tiny bit more quiet.

I discovered now that with RCA cables the noise increase further when i turn The volume from mute (zero) and up. This is similar on both power amps.

No other equipment like dac, active xover etc, are turned on.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought we were testing with nothing connected to the amp? We really need to nail down one piece at a time. And the first question is: what is the amp contributing?

So you have an ACVM. Have you tried measuring AC across the speaker terminals? (w/ no RCA cables connected to the amp)

If the amp alone is quiet, then try floating the preamp.

Last edited:
I thought we were testing with nothing connected to the amp? We really need to nail down one piece at a time. And the first question is: what is the amp contributing?

So you have an ACVM. Have you tried measuring AC across the speaker terminals? (w/ no RCA cables connected to the amp)

If the amp alone is quiet, then try floating the preamp.

Yes, first i tested without preamp and noise is present with the amp alone

Now i tested with preamp and the basic noise level is the same when mute is activated

Now i disconnected the preamp and i measure 0,7 V across the speaker terminals

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My $40 DMM is useless below 30 or 40 mV AC, so that was probably a silly suggestion, but I though it might be worth a try. Based on what you've posted recently, I'm sticking with the guess from #58 That you're seeing 2-3 mV of noise. But why? Trolls? I'll have to sleep on it.

Do you know the noise spec of that other amp that you said was about the same?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.