X5HV - the F5 principle applied to a headphone amp

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thank you. And thanks to KiCad.

Last checks took some time, but I'm all set to start the PCB ordering.

I saved netlists from KiCad, edited them to my liking and fixed a few device/model terminal order issues and simulated in LtSpice. They all ran well.

For PCB manufacturing, I'm thinking Aisler. This is hardly a high power amp, so I don't think I need thick copper. And I will live with the default finish. There are more fun things to spend money on than bright colours on a PCB which hopefully goes in a box never to be opened again :) .

Best Regards

Jens

Joined 2014
Paid Member
And the PCBs have arrived. I'm a little bit excited!
PCBs_Cmpnts.JPG

Best Regards

Jens

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hmm,

Mixed progress. The PCBs were made with the suggested footprints, component vendor via Internet to my library. The solder pads around the holes are not generous. I didn't reflect on one footprint which advertised "hand solder" (and had bigger pads than the alternatives). So, with a few exceptions, the pads are tiny, fractions of a mm. This makes old school soldering (wait for solder to flow, observe solder forming nice shape around lead) less an option.

Long time no soldering, but we'll see what comes of it.

It turns out that the solder does flow, indeed come through on the top. So, I'm sure the solder joints are good, but it's not as easy to use as old school PCBs with chunky surrounds. My loupe-light becomes essential, not a luxury.

Bottom side, some soldered some not:
Solder_Islands.JPG

The solder pads below are for a connector and were indeed a lot easier to solder.

The good news is that the solder show up on the top. That should be a good enough joint :cool:
Solder_Islands_top.JPG

The 580V bias and the two VDD boards. Oh, and memo to self: if planning to mount a few components from the back side, do not populate with largest components on the front side. Sigh.
Bias_VDD.JPG

Best Regards

Jens

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hello,

Nice early summer break, hoping to pick up again. Still haven't sourced a cabinet (or found a spare heatsink), so starting off with just the high voltage bias on a stand-alone heatsink. The lower PCB in the previous post. I only stuffed it to generate 580V, but the PCB includes a standard bias output also.

The DC voltage out is 605 volts, measured on the supply side of the safety R, close enough to the target 580.

Best Regards

Jens

Bias580_bench.JPG

Reactions: 1 user