Mr. Pass at his computer

H.H.

Attachments

• behind.jpg
    behind.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,804
Hey Frank

Thanks for that inspiration :)

I am pretty sure I will finish this century ... I have 1 channel ready to hook up with cabinet, parts etc. There is some mechanical work to have the next cabinet up and running, so I will build the 1 channel first -- at least I can measure on it if not test sound quality by ear.

Sorry to those whom have participated and are keen for some results. My only excuse is handling personal stuff such as dwelling, work, travel, relationship etc. I no longer have a stereo system so I feel the pressure to complete quite strongly.

Seriously, I am looking at completing this year at the latest.

Petter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Petter,

I understand and my decision to finalize projects is often delayed because of interesting and new developments or information I find here or elsewhere on the net, which shed a new light on things, and direct me to a new direction or approach.

In the end I make a list of criteria and set a timetable for my project and work along those lines to complete them, although it's not always possible.

I guess you can also remember that we have been in touch with each other concerning the x-series............

It could also have been that you've switched to Alepht X project that evolves elsewhere on this forum.

Anyway, success with your projects.

Franklin

Thanks again, Franklin,

Yup, I remember you vividly :)

You are right that there are other projects that have taken presedence. I have built and completed a Pearl variant and have all but completed a balanced version of same. I am doing quite a bit of work on a DAC with a bunch of paralell output PCM 1730's per channel and a new modulation scheme. Then there are the speakers + some design work I am doing for one of my best friends who is making commercial products. And I must not forget the DC coupled Stax headphone amp which is now moving towards being a single gain stage X-type or simple dual stage.

I have not switched to the AlephX as I am not in favour of that topology. What I have considered is ZenX which could be an interesting beast and also much simpler to build. However I have not moved forward on that front.

Petter

Yes, I have produced two layouts. You used to be able to see photos and tools here http://www.diyaudio.com/projects/petter but it was lost in the redesign of the page. I will try to put it back up here now that this forum supports attachements etc. I won't be able to do this until next week at the earliest however.

The second version was based on learnings from the first. It is not yet built like the first version but still ....

Your question regarding not liking is right the money. The AlpehX as well as the Aleph is a flavour. Some like it others don't. I happen not to like it from a theoretical point of view. I used to own an Aleph 5 and quite liked it from a sound quality point of view (and loved it from an optical design point of view). To be more precise, my gripes are related to the positive feedback from the output as well as efficiency. I can make an X-amp as inefficient but that is a choice not a requirement of the construction. I also believe that a non-aleph type of amp typically can have better bass control if I am going to generalize even more than I have already done.

Petter