word to all you backhorn tweakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
weidok said:
Please let us know..
Speakers ?
Drawings ?
Pictures ?

When i have something... ChrisB already has the FE108ES for the prototypes, i have to input the Leach compression chamber math & then him & i are going to sit down and fold it. Except for the flare at the back for the larger horn mouth it will be about the same size as a Buschorn II. It is designed for near back-wall plcement.

dave

Non parralel internal sides

Attached is a photo of how I dealt with internal reflection. I laminated MDF to some nice old growth fir lumber then ran it through the planner on a tilted planner bad. This resulted in a nie taper cut to the inside pannels. It was a little tricky but I think it worked. I do not have any parralel sides inside the cabinet.
This shot gives a pretty good idea of what I did. I also but duct seal on the back of the driver to help stop vibration of the basket and legs

Attachments

• vent clamping.jpg
    vent clamping.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 399
Hmmmmmm

I guess I should not have contibuted to this discussion. I was intending to illustrate another way of dealing with internal cabinet reflections. I did not make a backloaded horn with my fe167e. I did come up with a way of creating a cabinet that did not have any parralel internal surfaces. This concept could be used in a BLH design rather than stuffing or lining the cabinet.
Sorry for the distraction.

Re: Non parralel internal sides

SCD said:
Attached is a photo of how I dealt with internal reflection. I laminated MDF to some nice old growth fir lumber then ran it through the planner on a tilted planner bad. This resulted in a nie taper cut to the inside pannels. It was a little tricky but I think it worked. I do not have any parralel sides inside the cabinet.
This shot gives a pretty good idea of what I did. I also but duct seal on the back of the driver to help stop vibration of the basket and legs

Greets!

FYI, they must splay at least 1:12 or 1:6 depending on where you read it, so over a 1.0ft pathlength, either 1" or 2" wider at the other end. Not knowing any better at the time, from the get-go I used 1:12 since it's 'close enough' to the A7 cab horn's splay (FWIW it's also what's published in Don/Carolyn Davis's 'Sound System Engineering') and never noticed any audible problems with either a tapered cab, horn, or a room, but never did any hi-res FTC measurements either.

The 1:6 I didn't learn about until a few years ago when a pro studio/HT designer kept correcting me when I'd post it WRT room walls or floor/ceiling slopes on various HT forums, but he never backed it up with any concrete info despite my repeated requests, so as always YMMV.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.