Wondom/Sure BRU5

Has anyone on here bought one of these TPA3255 amps and if so what do you think of it? I have just received mine and am yet to have a listen. You do not get any leads with it and all the DC plugs to connect a PS did not fit. I worked out that the reason is the centre pin of the socket appears to be fatter than normal. I sacrificed part of a wall wart and gently drilled the centre core of the plug and made it fit.

I got mine from Aliexpress for £23 which given that it has a nice case and all the connections is silly money. Having bought a lot of different Class D boards (TA2024, TA2020, TPA3116, IRS 2092 x 2) I was keen to hear a 3255. Price has nearly doubled in only a couple of weeks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...der_detail.order_detail_item.4.2351f19cUxzPuU

5.5/2.5 plug fits without problems here
I also received amp today and only connected it to six little 16 ohm FBT speakers to test function a little. Ordered a cheap 48V/3A brick with it. It is a nice small little amp, bluetooth functions well it seems, amp enclosure becomes nicely warm but not really hot sofar. With bluetooth the topend with these speakers is a little more friendly than with Wondom/Sure 3116 with Chromecast audio as source, slightly more dynamic maybe, bass I cannot say because the six little bassreflex speakers are tuned at 90Hz I believe, so very little beneath that frequency. Haven't tried DSP yet, did ask for software today, haven't received it yet, I think it will be the ACP Workbench as mentioned in other threads

I installed the amp this morning with a little frustration. I wired it according to the case markings on the rear, Rt IN and OUT on left of the rear when viewed from the front and L on the Rt.....a bit weird. There was something not right as the sound was skewed to the L and it sounded really weird. Swapped the connections L for R as you would expect when viewed from the front. Same problem. I left the INs as were and swapped the L & R OUTs and bingo!

When this is a few months old I will sort the DC socket and see if there is scope to change the IN and Out orientation. Not really SURE (did you see what I did there) why these amps would be intentionally wired like this and it may have been a production mess up.

SQ. First impressions very good fed with 24v at the moment. Seems nicely detailed with taut and tuneful bass. I tried to connect the amp to my laptop but it did nothing and didn't recognise that it was connected by USB. I was using an OTG lead as that is the only one I have with a USB C connector and will get an ordinary one and see if this works.

Haven't received software yet, but amp is configurable/reacts when I run a ACP workbench .exe file I had, don't know if it is the correct software for this amp, but I boosted 100Hz by 10dB and switching on and off is very audible, a karaoke removing of voices function works too, the usb-c to usb I used is from a Samsung mobilephone charger, connected, some parts of the dull grey graphics turn blue, seems to function ok, just didn't read a manual yet :) Amp is really small, I think I will post a photo of this ampboard next to the TI EVM to show the size difference, when I check the pcb (chip), one of these days. I did look at the pcb, chip is on bottomside with a piece of metal screwed on, which transfers heat to the little enclosure. Inductors are like Sagami TH, flat wires soldered through pcb, more than 2 layer pcb and the aux in gets an small long piece of pcb placed on top of the main pcb, to get connection to the front, weird. PCB has also a topside optional footprint for a tpa32xx.

Ok some pics

Attachments

• 20230406_213748.jpg
    20230406_213748.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 561
  • 20230406_213815.jpg
    20230406_213815.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 642
  • 20230406_212717.jpg
    20230406_212717.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 573
  • 20230406_212811.jpg
    20230406_212811.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 610
Well it is a few days since I first fired this amp up and it is sounding really good. I had been using a Meanwell 24v SMPS and swapped this for a linear regulated supply with Teddy Pardo low noise regs and this has upped the SQ quite a bit. I don't need a lot of power from the amp as my speakers are fairly sensitive. I am wondering if there would be any gain in making a 48vdc supply.

I don't know. I also swapped the red and black speaker outputs, not very important maybe. I think the plug on pcb should be turned, I tried desoldering but that didn't go easy so I decided to unscrew the terminals and swap the wires. Easiest to swap on the outside obviously :) But left right, phase and red white and black is often a little funny:
https://www.ti.com/lit/df/slar129a/...=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FTPA3255
TI EVM schematic shows left channel has the red cinch, right channel has the white cinch, TI is American I think, Chinese read backwards I believe LOL but Americans are weird too :)

Well it is a few days since I first fired this amp up and it is sounding really good. I had been using a Meanwell 24v SMPS and swapped this for a linear regulated supply with Teddy Pardo low noise regs and this has upped the SQ quite a bit. I don't need a lot of power from the amp as my speakers are fairly sensitive. I am wondering if there would be any gain in making a 48vdc supply.
Which model of the Teddy Regs did you use?