With proper power supply would two pair of 2SA1943 and 2SC5200 be able to output 1000 watts?

Attachments

• dayton.png
    dayton.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 53
Joined 2011
Paid Member
It is possible to get the rated RMS power at 4 Ohms. The amplifiers datasheet says it uses a patented tracking down power supply (switch mode). The amplifier is a subwoofer only type with max. input frequency of 200Hz.
A 2SC5200 can handle a maximum of 15A when collector/emitter delta voltage is below 10V. This can be achieved using the tracking power supply. A 950 Watt @ 4Ohm rms load generates a peak current of 21.6A
Every transistor has to handle 10.8A max.
My new class H amplifier (developed in cooperation with Dave Zan) will use 4 pairs of TTC5200, TTA1943 to be on the save side. See here Project "I"
BR, Toni

Reactions: 1 user
1. Power supply: Start-Protection-Rectifier-Electrolytic 2x200v.
2.SMPS + main amplifier D (8 MOSFETs).
3. Linear power supply: The transformer(Thor).
4. Error correction amplifier 100W (class AB).
5. Control, indication and switching unit.

Attachments

• 12-2-2004_Sandman1.gif
    12-2-2004_Sandman1.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 42
I just benched it. It’s on my 1000w rated isolation transformer and I was running a pair of 16 awg wires, but only 3 feet long. Two sets of speaker wires to attach my two 8 ohm dummy loads. I got a clean 750 watts and then the waveform started clipping. Not a clue what distortion numbers were at that point. My 2000 watt dummy load got pretty hot. So yeah, I don’t see how in any scenario this thing can reach 950 watts into 4 ohms. Disappointing that they’re fibbing their numbers, but at the same time 750 watts should be plenty for a pair of JBL 2245s. Oddly could have sworn that the blue led changes to yellow when it gets close to clipping when I’m driving it hard and I saw non of that. Maybe that’s a different Dayton amp….

Dan

If they’re only telling you it can put out 950W and it can really put out 750 consider yourself very lucky. When they tell bald face lies it’s usually by a factor of two, or even ten.
We should have a standard RMS Power rating, W/Ch/8 ohms.
My Sansui B1000 is rated at 120, with 2 or 4 pairs (will have to check the schematic) of the same transistors.
So I am skeptical, there a ten times difference, and Sansui was much respected...

I was feeding a 40 hz signal, tried with subsonic filter both on and off and it made no difference. My scope was measuring just over 54.6 volts output and into a four ohm load my math suggests just under 750w. Not sure if that equates to RMS or not, I’m guessing so since it can sit at that constant output until either the dummy load catches fire or the amp does.

As I mentioned in my first post, the whole reason I opened the amp was that I read that some were starting to fail and blow up and people found that the capacitors were the likely cause. So I pulled out the power supply and the very first cap I pull out, 100 uF @ 16v…
5F20A44D-B4F7-44AE-8A4A-0479816B1210.jpeg

Darn those cheap caps! S.Y.?

Dan