Windows 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With Snow Leopard priced at $30 USD it is a no-brainer if you have an Intel Mac (functionally equivalent to one notch above the most expansive version of WIndows 7).

And now with the new MacMini server, you can by unlimited AppleShare Server at about the same price as 10 user Windows (2003) Server and get a free server to run it on.

dave
This was a no-brainer for me also but I will wait to install it since I have recently put in Leopard. I let others to experience all bugs. Maybe I'll upgrade next year.

many friends of mine have a mac, and several of us noticed that using 'upgrade' feature from leopard to snow things got slower after some days (and i format everything about every 6months...). we have all re-installed the system from scratch now, after backing up data (time machine makes it easier). althought i still have several issues with mine (but i think it's related to software i have to install for work) i heartly suggest the ones that will go snow not to use the upgrade feature...

upgrading a previous install of win is just suicide thing.

linux people generally like to install from scratch reconfigure/recompile :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You'd be surprised how many people are using 7-10yr old computers. If all they do is check their email and maybe look at a couple websites a week some people just don't feel the need to upgrade.

My desktop dates from 2002, my PowerBook from 2004. The amount of useful work done by these 2 is enormous. Limits me to 10.4.11 which is rock solid. A new (3 year old intel iMac looks to be in the cards thou... snow leopard on that for sure)

dave

by tryonziess -Surfing the net and doing email does not usually take 64 bit processors or 1 gig of ram.
While on XP , this was my initial opinion. Trying all the flavors of vista, I wondered what was being done with the extra 500mb of memory. Superfetch , while present on vista , was not "cutting it" (much slower than XP) .. but on win7 , I notice after the initial 250mb at startup , the memory usage creeps up to 450-500. Looking at Harddrive requests , they fall off to nothing at this point. So , win 7 is basically just working off of the RAM (dynamic ramdrive)at this point (this is why it is so dang fast) , with the only bottleneck being the time it takes for the video to be rendered. With win 7, I think M$ just fine tuned superfetch and brought back some of XP's finer points. What we have here is Vista SP3 or just a consumer oriented server 2008.

You'd be surprised how many people are using 7-10yr old computers.

At 7 years , one can have a nifty win7 machine. You either had a 2+GHZ P4 or an athlon XP machine with 256 or 512 mb DDR 266 memory , add a few sticks to it for 10-20$! For a new install of XP-SP3 , the 7 year old P4 Dell's (foxconn MB) will absolutely be "smokin' " :cool: fast. I love to find these in the dumpsters .. instant 100 dollars!
OS

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This was a no-brainer for me also but I will wait to install it since I have recently put in Leopard. I let others to experience all bugs. Maybe I'll upgrade next year.

Snow Leopard looks like it is going to get solid faste than any other OS X release.... mainly a question of how long it takes to get your apps up to speed. I'm going to skip right over Leopard, i found it a bit of a dog.... and i'll not be turfing my Tiger machines (i still have 2 crtitical aps running under Classic) so i can treat the "new" snow leopard box as an experiment.

dave

At 7 years , one can have a nifty win7 machine. You either had a 2+GHZ P4 or an athlon XP machine with 256 or 512 mb DDR 266 memory , add a few sticks to it for 10-20$! For a new install of XP-SP3 , the 7 year old P4 Dell's (foxconn MB) will absolutely be "smokin' " :cool: fast. I love to find these in the dumpsters .. instant 100 dollars!
OS

I was really surprised when I installed Win 7 on my machine that speedwise the performance was right on par with my XP installation on the same computer. I expected to take a decent performance hit because my hardware is going on 4 years old now but it really runs great. I've been using it for 6 months and never once have I felt tempted to go back to XP.

Same here. As mentioned earlier I'm running it in a low ball netbook with the visual toys turned off. With an SSD and Firefox caching to Ram instead of drive, Internet browsing is a right now experience. Fastest I've ever seen. The OS portion of a cold boot is around 11 seconds from the BIOS hand off. Shutdown is roughly half that. They should have punted Billie's hiney out the door ages ago.

I just switched to an Intel X25m 80 gig SSD this week when I moved from the Win7 RC1 to the release version. Newegg had it on their "Shell Shocker" deal of the day for $239 AND it came with a free mid tower case. They sold out within a few hours. I'm pretty sure you can't even find the Intel drives for sale right now for anything less than $350 but man are they worth it. Going from a platter hard drive to an SSD is like switching from a cheap econo car to a ferrari.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was really surprised when I installed Win 7 on my machine that speedwise the performance was right on par with my XP installation on the same computer. I expected to take a decent performance hit because my hardware is going on 4 years old now but it really runs great. I've been using it for 6 months and never once have I felt tempted to go back to XP.

With the exception of the need for more RAM, every upgrade of OS X has provided a performance increase.

dave

Hi.
new here and please don't mind spelling, english is still not easy for me ;)
I'm using win 7 from when they gave a free rc version.
I think it's the first windows that works , and I have expierence with them feckers from 3.1
soo my opinion is : go for it and you will be happy (first time actually ! )
regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.