Windows 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It pains me to even respond but you really don't know what you're talking about and you've made some blatantly erroneous statements. People might actually believe what you posted so I'll set the record straight..

I have CompTIA A+ and N+ certifications as well as Cisco CCNA certification. I also have Microsoft MCP, MCSA and MCSE certifications. These are real certifications that require an extremely extensive knowledge of network security, IP networking infrastruction and low level functions of operating systems. By no means do I know everything but I do make an effort to :D

So your a expert ? because you over paid for some lame a$$ certifications from microcrap ? I had the chance to take thos, but i did a few that a worker did and said this is crap, doing this helps me do nothing better. There are so many "TECH'S" out there that say im a good tech because i have microsoft certifications, to be honest they are bogus, uselss and a money pinch. the tech that we hired that was certified up the wazoo, was dumber than the accountant that we had, EVEN SHE knew what msconfig or ipconfig was.

Just because you have a certification doesn't mean crap, that's just shows WOW your book smart, ( not saying thats the case with you ) but there are alot of techs out there that are book smart and have NO CLUE how to build or fix a computer, or even a printer. They know oh i stick cd in run and install YAY i'm a tech.

Im bragging about mac because WELL they really are good, so many people that i know of have switched because of the lame winblows problems the viruses spyware the conflicts, the cheap inexpensive CRAP computers that are available, look at all the new dell's they are cheap plastic throw away machines. I used to love dell now they are just crap. Now ibm is the king.!

The most pet peave i hear from people that buy pc's is they come preloaded with so much junk its painfull to see them use, av software up the butt, demos of almost everything, u open the start menue and you see 500 programs u can use, NOW TELL ME how many elderly people want to sort through there computer to just find a simple program to write a email or surf the net or even most download their pictures from their camera ? Pretty hard to do now a-days.

I don't know every thing either, however, id say a real tech is who is always learning and never gives up and keeps learning.

Wasnt that a microcrap error the other week where they lost EVERYONES dada from t-mobile sidekicks server ? WEIRD!!! If that had been a mac, wow, carbon copy the drive and WOAH all good :)

I do stand corrected tho about the g4 being 20 years, i was thinking my old beige g3 350 machine that was really old.

by jleaman - So your a expert ? because you over paid for some lame a$$ certifications from microcrap ?

They DO make a lot of money on that "education" , don't they ? :p I have "defatted" it (win 7) .. 25 essential services, 200 megs main memory usage and it can outdo XP (OMG , I did not think this was possible).

I am looking at win7's HDD "bloat" (attached 1) , and most of it is the driver database (this thing has a driver for EVERYTHING).The grey in the attachment are the database's (drivers , media ,extras) , yellow is the DLL's ..
all in all 8 gigs of bloated bliss.

So far , the positive.
1. ABSOLUTE driver and program compatibility. Even ran some 98 programs for :) 's . On a core 2 system , ALL drivers were installed.

2. FAST , fast , fast. Even on an old P4 3ghz , ALL the drivers were installed and it was VERY snappy.

3. Idiot proof , system diagnostics service .. I re-enabled , as it tweaked my 2 networks with the greatest of ease and even gave me a network map. :cool:

The only glitch is the incompatibility of the "AERO" interface and and dual screen overlay graphics (MOVIES) .. no biggie , just shut the stupid aero thing off.
Audio wise , it sounds great. All DX9 dsp's work. Most of the hardware venders have non-buggy drivers out for win 7 as well , a great improvement over Veeesta's debut.

I am absolutely convinced M$ learned from Vista's "flop" and I bet the "sheeple" will suck this new OS right up just like they did XP in 2001.

OS

Attachments

• win7.jpg
    win7.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 137
By andy C. - Okay, here's a question for the folks that have tried Windows 7. I've been using XP since it came out. I've disabled XP themes and otherwise tweaked the UI so it looks and acts pretty much like Windows 2000 did. Is it possible to do the same for Windows 7, or will I be stuck dealing with a new UI?

Hi, andy. I am a minimalist , too .. So (attached) here is win2k/win7 :D , the start menu has a slightly different flavor. To get a "true win2k" experiance , one can disable the "bell and whistle services" (action center :D , UAC ,software protection) .. this will "dumb it down" to win2k's security level , better for a user who uses known good software (no screensavers or smilies ). Under the hood it is still Win7 and can utilize 800mhz RAM and dual processors more efficiently.
OS

Attachments

• w2k_w7.gif
    w2k_w7.gif
    156.5 KB · Views: 134
Is it possible to do the same for Windows 7, or will I be stuck dealing with a new UI?

I'm running Win 7 RC 1 on a netbook, and yes, you can strip it down much more than I recall from any previous version and have significant latitude with the UI. With an OCZ Vertex it runs quite well and I'm a big fan the way it works install permissions and updates when you're logged in with user permissions, which anyone who knows jack feces about Windows does by reflex. To me 7 feels like a radical departure from the last 10 years. My highest recommendation is I find myself swearing at the screen less than any version since 2k. :)

Disclaimers
1 wouldn't go near Vista with a barge pole.
2 have had a Linux install one on one machine or another for at least a dozen years. actually enjoy ssh, 'screen -r' and 'emerge --pu world'.
3 genuine member of the he-man mickeysoft hater's club

I'm running Win 7 RC 1 on a netbook, and yes, you can strip it down much more than I recall from any previous version and have significant latitude with the UI. With an OCZ Vertex it runs quite well and I'm a big fan the way it works install permissions and updates when you're logged in with user permissions, which anyone who knows jack feces about Windows does by reflex. To me 7 feels like a radical departure from the last 10 years. My highest recommendation is I find myself swearing at the screen less than any version since 2k. :)

Disclaimers
1 wouldn't go near Vista with a barge pole.
2 have had a Linux install one on one machine or another for at least a dozen years. actually enjoy ssh, 'screen -r' and 'emerge --pu world'.
3 genuine member of the he-man mickeysoft hater's club

SUDO is my fav :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
DPC Latency Checker

WinXP=90uS
Win7=556uS.

Running the default UI for this machine, Win7 feels a little slower than XP to me (Athlon II x4 620, Asus 780G chipset board, 4GB Crucial memory 4-4-4-12 timings) and so I ran a quick test under the hood. On the plus side, with the wireless network adapter enabled, XP would show peak latency of 900uS (accompanied by a click in the audio stream) at times. On Win7 it's essentially flat and below 600uS all the time, so the chance of clicks is probably less though super-low latencies for those running audio systems may not be possible.

It boots much quicker, though. It didn't have drivers for my Linksys wireless card (WMP54G) and I had to do a bit of digging and endure a lot of hard lockups before I got it to work. Also didn't install my m-audio Delta 66 (not that I was expecting it to) or a funny little device called ATK0110 (Asus ACPI driver - isn't Asus one of the biggest motherboard makers for machines that runs Windows?), for which I had to go on another duck hunt. I use the beta drivers from m-Audio, and they seem fine though obviously M$ missed a few.

I'm not stripping this machine down but will soon try and install on my audio machine, with minimal drivers and features (like OS-stripper on the page 5 :D). We'll see how that goes.

Has anyone tried networking Win 7 computers with Win XP computers? I don't know if I can afford Win 7 for all the machines I have, and given that I've invested a bit of money in unsupported hardware (Linksys/E-mu/m-Audio) I may need to think about the upgrade carefully. Currently running one of the beta builds (7100 I think) but am wondering about reinstalling XP.

Has anyone tried networking Win 7 computers with Win XP computers?

Works great , once you get past win 7's security. What is cool about 7's scheme is that even in a normal user mode ,you get a prompt to make a serious change (firewall , sharing a whole drive , etc.)at an administrator's level , then everything goes back to normal.

With a program or driver package that is unknown (without certificates), you also have a right click option to install at admin. level. I now have 2 win7 machines , 2 XP's , and 1 win2k PC on the local LAN (static - 10.0.0.X). What is really neat is the resource monitor (attached) , I can see all lan activity , what files on which HDD "they" are reading , and just about everything else.Yet another confirmation that my ISO (win7) is trojan free and genuine.

Performance wise , my GB lans on 7 can do 70+ mb/s versus low 50's on XP .. this is between 2 win7 machines (my XP boxes are 100mb/s). I continue to be thoroughly impressed (this does not happen often) with every discovery. :)
OS

Attachments

• resource.gif
    resource.gif
    101.7 KB · Views: 130
DPC Latency Checker

WinXP=90uS
Win7=556uS.

Running the default UI for this machine, Win7 feels a little slower than XP to me (Athlon II x4 620, Asus 780G chipset board, 4GB Crucial memory 4-4-4-12 timings) .

Is your XP 32bit or 64bit?

ostripper
Works great , once you get past win 7's security.

Win7 security looks like Vista after SP1.

Administrators account can still be activated.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.