• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wima MKP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've checked Mouser and they don't have the appropriate values in FKP. In MKP they are all listed as 'AC Pulse, Suppresion" that doesn't sound right for aC coupling does it?

They just highlight their properties for SMPS etc. Of course they can couple well when they can store and release high energy with fast and cool action in demanding pulse applications. In industrial capacitors the things they prioritize are different than in boutique audio caps. Form factor, value density, durability, dimensional and spec stability, self healing, all that VS cost. Its their high volume production and professional applications they keep them sanely priced, not the R&D and production facilities behind them ain't top notch. To the contrary. Just not specialized for audio.

WIMA's are in general smaller than other brands of comperable capacitors.

Sorry, but I have to disagree here! The old SIEMENS B32650 series of MKP capacitors are considerably (!) smaller than WIMA MKP10's of the same value and voltage rating.

However, I don't know if they're still available...

Edit: This also applies for the KP 1833 series by ERO/Roederstein.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Isn't the difference between FKP and MKP that the former is film and foil, and the latter is metallized film?

F for Film/Foil, M for Metallised, and KP for Kunststoff (aka plastic) Polypropylene.
Similar rational build-up for the series code numbers.

(nature of the beast, just saying what it is, instead of coming up with some voodoo name that sounds impressive)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
And then some others do, also the land of enough niche small brands besides the famous industrial.

4822_AUDYN_CAP_TRUE_COPPER_1.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.