Wima MKP vs MKS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you make a mistake of discounting the WIMA caps, or plainly useing the wrong type...

FKS:
Polyester (PET) Film and Foil Capacitors for Pulse Applications

FKM:
Film and Foil Capacitors with Mixed Dielectric for Pulse Applications

FKP2:
Polypropylene (PP) Film and Foil Capacitors (Suitable for audio)

MKS2: Metallized Polyester (PET) Capacitors

MKP2: Metallized Polypropylene (PP) Capacitors

I think you make a mistake of discounting the WIMA caps, or plainly useing the wrong type...

Agreed, or they have been buying Chinese knock-offs. Or possibly they just didn't mesh well with their particular design. I have had nothing but good results with WIMA caps. Well balanced sonics and fairly inexpensive.

I assume that the FKP2 is generally recommended?

For filtering in 5 mm lead spacing FKP2s are unbeatable, IMHO.

Sure there's better caps but they're MUCH bigger and costly ;)

MK2/MKP2/MKP4 are good sounding caps for decoupling, IMHO.

MKP4/MKP10 are not bad for coupling but film/foil types like Audyn Cap KP Sn or Mundorf MCAP Zn are MUCH better (both for transprency and tonal balance).

I agree with all that Dario writes, especially his point about film and foil type caps for input coupling. I have experimented with quite a few different caps in the same amp design, and the film/foil types gave the most satisfactory results, by far; even better than some pricey, highly regarded metallized paper in oil types.

Peace,
Tom E

Japanese's long lost and forgotten MKP capacitors of the late 1960's and 1970's

Every one of you gentlemen, bring up some fine points on capacitors and their uses. Their are many brands and capacitor makers out there. And many are over looked or ignored.

But I have a story for you.

From 1960 to 1985, I use to salvage old tube color TV's. Mainly Panasonic 25" color TV's. All the Japanese in Hawaii at that time owned them. But they were switching over to Sony.

I collected about 14-16 chassis units. Anyway, I was building two 6550 60watt units. And I wanted Wima's at the time. But in 1979, WIMA's were expensive.

I had about 70 to 80 of these MKP fat high voltage caps made by Panasonic. Kind of brown orange color. I had enough to build the two Amps and more.

So I tested them; they tested good. I used them and the amp turned out great. Months later, a friend purchase the set for $450.00.

The fable here is,

There are some good to great caps out there. Sooner or later you will come across them.

Today I use any cap that test and sound good. I try to use three makers of caps, even thou I have 450 assorted Wima's and Evox.

The capacitors that I use today are Illinois Caps MKP, Tecate Caps MKP, and Bishop Caps MKP. Check them out. You may like them.

Good Asian caps are Tenta, Panasonic, Matashita, Nikko, and Chung industries.

Just thought I add to the thread, Thanx

Take Care

Ivey

prairiemystic

No...., they were not those junkie capacitors. These were big fat guys. Chunky and they sounded real good.

So I am asking you guys on the forum, do any of you, remember those big fat MKP capacitors that Panasonic, RCA, Zenith, and other TV makers used in their high voltage sections of their tube color TV's. In the 1960's and 1970's.

I need a little help here.

Yes P-Mystic, those capacitors that are paddled by Digi-key are junk. But I never use those. Never.

Take Care

Ivey

You mean like these?
I've got some bigger ones that do indeed look like 'pillows', but they are still being used in a Mitsubishi TV. :)

Attachments

• filmcaps.jpg
    filmcaps.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,216
HaflerFreak

Yea, those are the ones I used back in the 1970's.
To me and others who listen to the 60watt 6550 amps I built. They really sounded good.

Thanks HaflerFreak, those are the ones.

I guy I know use them to build a guitar amp.

So have you used them yet?

Take Care

Ivey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.