Wima MKP vs MKS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

drowning in my DIY projects, so i did not yet compute how much i would have to ask what buying MKVs and shipping in a letter or small package would cost. But i noticed there is serious interest.

OK,

MKV are available from 0.1µF to 1µF as coupling caps with axial leads (B25839). Bigger values (B25834 and B25832) have much bigger cans and automotive spade connectors in ceramic insulators. And bigger prices.

MKY are unavailable retail but can be found surplus. I did not want to hold back data as i thought it might be useful to mention them as someone might find these bright yellow hermetic caps surplus and wonder how they are.

As soon as i have figured out how to make the MKVs available without wasting own money on it, i open a new thread and ask who wants them.

Originally posted by capslock

This casts a dubious light on all input selectors and switched attenuators. How do you select your attenuation without heating up the soldering iron? Use PGA2310s? Nice, but probably not the best way....

Eric,

yes, it does. Nearly any sort of connector has a subtle but dreadful influence on sonics. If you want to do it right, solder the appropriate resistive potential divider into a Redel plug, each for any attenuation step you want to have.

But i do not do that until everything in my system is in the sweetspot (from which i am far away currently). I use rotary switches slaugtered from old Siemens and Rohde&Schwarz lab equipment, they do better than the crap they sell today for $$$.

I may try out Daven switched attenuators with constant 600Ohm impedance.

Another question: will Bürklin ship to private persons, esp. if they can add a technical title to their name? I can go through a friend who has a company, but it is so much easier without...

Go and have your friend order for you. You are better on than me (except that i can almost walk to Bürklin and pick it up myself). Bürklin sells over the counter, no problem, but to get tham ship stuff to you requires you to have a registered customer # which requires you to have a Gewerbeschein and tell Bürklin the colour of your underwear and to advise your bank to lay your bank account open towards Bürklin. Was not to my taste so far :(

Epcos MFP series?

Turns out that PP caps other than Wima MKP/FKP are hard to get for filter applications, i.e. with capacitance values of 47 - 1500 pF (poll of Reichelt, Farnell, RS, Bürklin).

Only exception: Siemens/Epcos MFP B326..., obvious drawbacks being 20% tolerance and bulky size compared to MKP. Bürklin sells them at about 30 € cents a piece. Dice, any listening experience?

And another follow-up on Bürkin: will they sell over the counter without a Gewerbeschein? After all, I am not too far away from Munich and I visit friends there a couple of times a year.

Eric

Eric,

no, no experience with Epcos MFP, but always open for new hints :)

Yes, Büklin sells OTC without Gewerbeschein. They even hand yo a catalogu provided you pretend you are (your own) company representative :) .. they do not check this.... i presume this has legal reasons caused by jealous competitors.

bürklin

dice,

I checked the Bürklin location, they are resonably centrally situated. What are the opening hours? Do they expect you to send an e-mail or fax of what you need in advance?

Tell me when your AKSA in finsihed. If you should ever stray into "Ostalb" (no, I am not a native! yes, it is almost on the A7), fell free to drop me a not to listen to my high-feedback, self-designed amp plus modified T+A T160E speakers.

Greetings,

Eric

Re: bürklin

capslock said:
I checked the Bürklin location, they are resonably centrally situated. What are the opening hours? Do they expect you to send an e-mail or fax of what you need in advance?
Bürklin has open Monday to Thursday from 10:00 to 16:30 and Friday 10:00 to 13:00 . Saturday is closed.
Added is half an hour for packing, paying, handing but the hours i told you are when you can place orders.

I do not know any email adress where to place orders but they accept faxes, 089-55875-299. Unwillingly, but they do.
Better you place your order in person and pick it up yourself.

Tell me when your AKSA in finsihed. If you should ever stray into "Ostalb" (no, I am not a native! yes, it is almost on the A7), fell free to drop me a not to listen to my high-feedback, self-designed amp plus modified T+A T160E speakers.

Sure i do. And thanks for your kind invitation :)

Harry,

http://www.steinhifi.de./baueng.htm

so you too stepped into Stein's site :)
I have to agree with most of his choices and had them also in my test. THose NSF potted tiny polystyrenes with radial leads, they are quite something.
Those Roedersteins are wonderful if you know nothing better, but I favour the MKVs.

Concerning his prices .... well i better do stay mute [sigh]

NOS Siemens MKV`s for sale

Hello everybody,

I´m new here and dropped in by chance while searching the web.
Is someone interested here in buying some of those Siemens MKV`s mentioned in this thread? I have a couple for sale.
There are NOS (made through 98 - 99 according the prints on the case) mostly type 25834 (I do not have the axial-lead type B25839). They are in original plastic bags from RS-components, though some may have dents from storage.
Values are 0,1µF, 0,47µF, 1µF, 1,5µF and 3,3µF and a few 6,8µF and 10µF.
If required, it might be possible also that I try to match them with my GenRad Digibrigde for equal values (at the moment I do not know how much they differ - I have just tried a few with different values, but by the way: I measured the dissipation factor of one of the 0,1µF types - the Digibridge show 0,0000 to 0,0002!)
In case somebody is interested, I could send high resolution pics, datasheets and a more detailled list of what I have.
Regarding the price I thought about 50% off the list price.
Somebody interested??

regards
Christoph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.