Wiimu A31 module in combination with ADAU1401/1701 DSP

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, the WiiM app controls the A98 board that was available at Parts Express.
But the software is different, and I don't know if there is an upgrade path for it. Also, it seems to be limited to 48KHz. As a result, Spotify wouldn't stream because they only support 44.1KHz. I don't know if there are issues with the other streaming services because I don't subscribe to them. My guess is that the Aliexpress A98 has the same limitations as the one sold by PE, in that it is unique software for OEM evaluations. I don't think it has the same software upgradability as the commercial product. But I'm just guessing, because I haven't spent enough time using the A98 to see whether it is getting updates.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
When you say "the adau1701 is set to MASTER", it looks like you are only referring to the Serial Output. That means the DAC on the output will get its clocks from the ADAU1701. However, the ADAU1701 is a slave on the Serial Input, as the clocks are generated by the Linkplay module on the Mini/Pro v3 board. The master clock for the ADAU1701 is also generated by the Linkplay module, so you will need to disable/desolder/cut the trace from the oscillator on the ADAU1701 board. The ADAU1701 will be sampling at 44.1KHz, so you will need to set up SigmaStudio to use that frequency vs the default 48KHz (that will affect your filter coefficients).

I can't answer your questions about the Arylic software, except that you would want to select 11.2896MHz as the MCLK IN0, since that is what will be coming from the Linkplay module. And you should double-check the ADAU1701 board to make sure that the original oscillator was 12.288MHz and not 24.576MHz--otherwise, you would need to change the PLL pins as well.

I've got a board coming tomorrow that will allow using a CS8421 module between the Linkplay module and the ADAU1701 board. I think that will be a better solution than clocking the ADAU1701 from the Linkplay module. I've still got to order some more parts for this board, so I'm still at least 2 weeks away.
When you say "the adau1701 is set to MASTER", it looks like you are only referring to the Serial Output. That means the DAC on the output will get its clocks from the ADAU1701. However, the ADAU1701 is a slave on the Serial Input, as the clocks are generated by the Linkplay module on the Mini/Pro v3 board. The master clock for the ADAU1701 is also generated by the Linkplay module, so you will need to disable/desolder/cut the trace from the oscillator on the ADAU1701 board. The ADAU1701 will be sampling at 44.1KHz, so you will need to set up SigmaStudio to use that frequency vs the default 48KHz (that will affect your filter coefficients).

I can't answer your questions about the Arylic software, except that you would want to select 11.2896MHz as the MCLK IN0, since that is what will be coming from the Linkplay module. And you should double-check the ADAU1701 board to make sure that the original oscillator was 12.288MHz and not 24.576MHz--otherwise, you would need to change the PLL pins as well.

I've got a board coming tomorrow that will allow using a CS8421 module between the Linkplay module and the ADAU1701 board. I think that will be a better solution than clocking the ADAU1701 from the Linkplay module. I've still got to order some more parts for this board, so I'm still at least 2 weeks away.
Good morning, I am in a similar situation, and I am not very practical with quartz, I ask you experts, I want to interface ADAU1701 with Arylic U2Stream DAC HD, and I have the usual problem of the compatibility of the digital part, I modified the 1701 card eliminating the quartz and welded the wire to the indicated pin I would connect it to the Arylic II2S connector following info that I found on the network but the question is in this way can I damage any part of the Arylic card? Eliminated the quartz the 1701 becomes slave in everything so all the management part Virna given in charge to Arylic? Sorry for the stupid questions but I have no experience in this thank you

Agreed.

But if you aren't going to use the ADAU1701 ADC or DAC, you should go with the ADAU1452/ADAU1466 instead. The ASRC's in the newer chips makes interfacing much easier
I don't know them, do you recommend them to me? I've already edited the board by eliminating the quartz but it doesn't sound it just makes current clips on the speakers 🤦‍♂️

But if you aren't going to use the ADAU1701 ADC or DAC, you should go with the ADAU1452/ADAU1466 instead. The ASRC's in the newer chips makes interfacing much easier.
The ADAU1450 is basically the same price as the ADAU1401 (which is cheaper than the ADAU1701 for some weeeeeeird reason). The 1451 and 1452 are a little more expensive.
The sample rate converters aren't super great, but they do the job.
Those external ones (model numbers slip my mind atm) are much better.

So yeah if you're gonna add an external ADC/DAC or CODEC anyway, that is a better choice.
For the hobbyists, it's only a little more annoying to solder....

I don't know them, do you recommend them to me? I've already edited the board by eliminating the quartz but it doesn't sound it just makes current clips on the speakers 🤦‍♂️
OK, a couple of things about your situation. First, when I re-read your first post I realized you have the Up2Stream HD DAC. I had assumed you had the Up2Stream Mini or Pro. Both the Mini and Pro outout I2S at 44.1 KHz/16 bits regardless of the input source format. The big difference is the HD DAC literature states it outputs up to 192khz/24bits. I don't know (maybe soneone else with knowledge can respond) what happens to the I2S MCLK and BCLK frequencies when the input format changes (e.g. from 48 KHz/16 bits to 192 khz/24bits).

Second, I2S has several different formats. There's I2S, Left justified, Right justified and TDM. In addition there's different MCLK and BCLK polarity options. You need to configure your 1701 to match the HD DAC format. You do this in the 1701's register window. (see screenshot).

1701 serial input.jpg

I'd recommend you join the Aryllic "DIY & Products" support forum and post your question there. There's probably people there thaat know more about the HD DAC's I2S format

Hello and thanks for your answer, now then I also publish in that section, making a set at 44.1hz it doesn't generate more audio clips but you still can't hear anything playing, so I think it's still a set problem, precisely because it's the hd card I would like to keep the highest quality that I believe in a double conversion working in analog I'm going to lose it

There is a page describing the several prototype boards alluded to in this thread at: http://www.audiodevelopers.com/next-generation-evaluation-boards/
The discussion of where this is heading next is here: http://www.audiodevelopers.com/next-generation-beyond-the-adau1701/

Some conclusions so far:
  1. The CS8421 works great for connecting the older Linkplay modules with the ADAU1701
  2. The ESP32 can generate the I2S clocks for the A31
  3. The A98 is a master with its own clock generator. It doesn't require any support chips to output digital audio--the module can be directly connected to an I2S slave and can be controlled by the app.
  4. The SSM3582 amps are especially well suited for line arrays that use digital delay and multiple amps for "electronic curvature"
Hi Neil,
I've read in your article that you had plans to use another firmware on your A98. I guess, some firmware for Wiim Pro?
Have you succeed?
I would like to use A98 from PartsExpress or just extract the A98 module from Wiim pro to use it on your board and feed i2s to my DAC.
Thanks!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't tried to update the firmware, and it won't update on its own. There may be a way to get them programmed to behave like a WiiM module, but I haven't looked into that. Also, I bought the last A98 from Parts Express--I don't think you will be able to find any more of them.

Have you looked at the WiiM Pro Plus? It's an upgrade for the Pro, using an AKM 4493SEQ DAC.

I could send you boards, but it would probably be just as cheap to get your own made at a Chinese Fab house. I used SEEED Fusion, but there are some even cheaper. The Gerber files are attached. The Kicad 7.0 files are also attached.

Attachments

• A98_amp_plots.zip
    59.3 KB · Views: 34
  • A98_amp.zip
    101.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Have you looked at the WiiM Pro Plus? It's an upgrade for the Pro, using an AKM 4493SEQ DAC.
I own Wiim Pro Plus and use internal dac. It sounds pretty good.
But also I have a Miro's DAC with AD1862 - and it sounds way better in my opinion.
And I built it myself, so I would really like to use it and compare with DeltaSigma DACs :)
Maybe, I will just buy second-hand Wiim Pro and extract A98 if it's not easy to program A98 from Aliexpress-ish.
Thank you so much for sharing your board files! 🙏

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Linkplay sells the reconditioned WiiM Mini and WiiM Pro on eBay for $59 and $99 respectively. I've bought a couple of them, and they look new, with the cables and power supply in the original box. The software gets updated automatically and they work great. They come and go--they didn't have any for the last two months, but today (Dec18, 2023) they are available again. Yesterday they only showed 2 Mini's available and there wasn't a listing for the Pro, but today there are "more than 10 available" of each.

The "Pro" supports far-field audio for Alexa control, and if you don't need that feature, the Mini is a nice unit to play with. At that price you can afford to surgically alter the board to get to the I2S signals. But it might be easier to get to the I2S signals on the Pro, since it has the connector for the A98, whereas the pins on the A118 appear to be buried (I'd have to open the Mini up again to see whether the I2S signals are easy to get to).

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't tried directly connecting a DAC to the A98, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Some DAC's require a master clock in addition to the bit clock, and there is a signal labeled "master clock" that should do the job. However, I haven't looked at that signal to verify that it is a "standard" 256*fs output.

The fact that the A31 is shipped as a slave device simply means you must provide a bit clock and LR clock. Those clocks are usually generated by the ADC chip (or the MVSilicon SOC chips that include analog inputs). You could also generate the bit clocks and LR clock using one of the ESP32C3 boards, which have I2S I/O. I made a board with the A31, an ASRC board, ESP32C3, ADAU1701 module and a 4-channel amp board as phase 1 of a larger project (line array amp). I've got the boards and all of the parts but found out I screwed up the A31 footprint by using .1" pin spacing rather than 2mm spacing (I corrected that error in the picture below). So, I need to test this board with a Dayton WBA51 module. I should be able to debug that circuitry over the next month. The amp board, on the right, is what might take the most time.

Phase 2 will use the A98, along with the ADAU1466. This is done in Kicad and files will be available.

View attachment 1089465
Hello,
Is it possible to get the kicad files for this board? Since you already have the footprint for the A31?