Wideband globes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So in order to play scottjoplins suggestion via Tidal I had to hook my laptop up via opto in - good playing!!! - I took the chance for a few sweeps. This is on axis, 30 cm distance - only globes inc filters 12 db/oct at 300 Hz.

Here I see also the difference when tuning for linear (however tilting!) FR and close sweep measurement.... Interesting.. I need to EQ this linear and see how that works out.

//

Attachments

• Globe inc filt.png
    Globe inc filt.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 143
  • WF.jpg
    WF.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 147
  • SR.png
    SR.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 141
  • SPG.png
    SPG.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I’m going to give this a try with an IKEA 12in bamboo Blanda bowl. Debating what driver to use. Scan Speak 10F/8424 has a round bezel and would be the epitome of a smooth ripple free driver in a diffraction free speaker spherical cabinet. Would it be enough just to have the sphere on the front half only? A dagger would protrude out the open back. I don’t really care about diffraction on the back 180deg.

Attachments

• 4B430A5C-E620-47CE-AC20-37A8610F8C24.jpeg
    4B430A5C-E620-47CE-AC20-37A8610F8C24.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 147

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In a very successful implementation and environment I'm not so sure that an open back is good. I bet it has some impact :)

I was not surprised about the 300-1k distorsion behaviour - I think I hear a bit of muddiness maybe and I dont think this small horn can do a lot of 'reflection digestion' below 1k really. I would have been nice to see that like the rest of the upper region. Maybe its the "horn" - I need to do a dagger. I also own 10f/ and I wonder if you think these would work better the the Faital?

//

Last edited:
Would it be enough just to have the sphere on the front half only? A dagger would protrude out the open back. I don’t really care about diffraction on the back 180deg.

Dr. Olsen's study shows that a hemisphere is not without ripples in the response (albeit better than a cylinder). shape-b.gif

So, better buy four of those Blanda bowls to make two spheres. A dagger protruding from the back of a sphere should make an interesting design.

Kurt

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am surprised a hemisphere is so bad - but I guess it has equidistant sharp edge with a round over.

Maybe a simple foam core long tail cone to make it look like a tear drop can work?

A sphere is just a smooth hypercube/Tesseract?

Hypercube Loudspeakers

449742d1416547301-hypercube-loudspeakers-hypercube-photo-jpg

There is some sort of resonance at 2k:
449746d1416545347-hypercube-loudspeakers-hypercube-stuffing-compare.png

This used the interior chamber of the hypercube and not a Dagger rear chamber. Dagger would probably help.

Last edited:
That looks a lot like the enclosure for the mid-range driver in B&W 801 Nautilus. They used that shape mainly for guiding the internal reflections, however, instead of controlling the external diffractions, according to their marketing literature I read a long time ago.

Kurt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.