why wire nuts for mains connection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have conjoined the three replies to give the correct procedure along with the advice that followed. I hope I got it right
Any corrections required?

Remove about 8 to 10 mm of the insulation of each wire.
Hold the wires in your left hand. Line up the ends of the insulation of each wire.
Cross and separate the wires into two, then twist the wires clockwise i.e. same direction as the nut rotation. the wires using your forefinger and thumb keeping the ends separate. The person in the video is using pliers to twist the wires but you can do it by hand.
Cut off the end with pliers.
Screw on the nut.

This works fine until you want to add an extra wire.

..............As a test, remove the nut and observe that the wires are compressed to form gas tight connections.

I have bought these in the UK and used them successfully in very shallow metal patresses. they can tuck into a corner.

May I make a plea against using pvc electrical tape for anything. It is quite disgusting stuff and does not survive many years, coming undone and leaving a sticky mess over everything!
For sealing up ariel connectors etc i always use self amalgamating tape, it's more expensive but many times better.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal...FUPJtAodgDoAjQ
Self amalgamating tape bonds to itself without glue which makes it permanent, you have to cut it off if you need to remove it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With 14 and 12 AWG conductors (romex in my case) you would definitely want something on the order of 25 - 30mm IMLE and the right sized wire nut.

I twist them clockwise with a pair of heavy electrician's pliers, trim if necessary, twist on the wire nut and then wrap a couple of layers of tape around the open end. I learned this from a master electrician some years ago when I assisted him in the rewiring of the second floor of my house. It's really important to use the right size wire nut for the gauge and number of conductors used.

You may both be right.

I have just braved the rain-storm to check in the garage - the ones I bought years ago are tiny, and only suitable for (1mm) lighting circuits.

Out of curiosity, I tried twisting a pair together with pliers, and the optimum length after twisting was 15mm to ensure that no bare wire was exposed but the spiral was fully bottomed into the nut.

"In many cases with in-wall wiring, there isn't 9 cm to waste!"

"It is very difficult to twist 4 or 5 short wires together."

"This works fine until you want to add an extra wire."

Really guys, there are much easier ways! I know that many like to twist the wires together before installing the wire into the nut, and I can understand the reason for this.
But why not let the wire nut do the twisting?

Watch: (starting at about 2:40):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbxGJ8HVFc

And no, I don’t have any connection (haa!) with Ideal, financially or any other way.
I’ve tried a number of different approaches and products, and found these to be easiest, by far, to use.
And no I don’t like “push-in” connectors, personally.

1.5mm^2 equals 15AWG American wire and 2.5mm^2 is 13AWG. 14, 12 and sometimes 10AWG is used routinely in the US. It just takes a little more "oomph" on the larger sizes. That's where the built in tabs on the side of the wire nuts are helpful.

I did notice however, that the video demonstrator used "smallish" wire, although their wire nuts are made for use for up to 8AWG or 3.7mm^2 wire.

Anyone outside of North America, do you use solid or stranded wire for internal home wiring?
the UK
uses solid core for 1mm², 1.5mm² & 2.5mm². They come in 2core (insulated) + bare earth. There is also 3core (insulated) + bare earth, particularly 1.5mm² for lighting circuits with a switching wire (yellow).
There may be other combinations, but I have not used, nor seen them.
4mm² and above generally comes in stranded.
7 cores is common for these bigger sizes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.