Why simple crossovers, tuned by ear, don’t work

Admittedly each person's physical and psychological hearing will make them perceive acoustical events differently. We all listen primarily for different things and that will govern the accuracy of how we evaluate the believability of what we're listening to. Placing a live musician and a speaker behind an acoustically transparent sheet and asking a listener to differentiate between the two is probably the best test you can perform. Most people will pick the live musician even if their ears aren't that educated. Our brains will pick it all apart very quickly and reliably in most cases.

Relative and absolute comparison is the issue here. While most people can't identify absolute flat FR (especially outside of the 500 - 8000 Hz band), they still will he able to compare the real thing from the fake reproduction. When you listen to speakers, you already come into the situation biased and aware you are listening to a copy, not the real thing. Just listening to a live person's speech is more than enough to weed out a good speakerr from a bad one. No, the wow factor of impressive low end response isn't there, but 99 percent of what matters will be there to come to a safe conclusion of the quality and engineering you're dealing with.

Yes, just by listening to the human voice or a musical instrument individually, our brain perceives without a doubt when a sound is live or is a reproduction. No matter the most sophisticated sound system, the REW + Umik software, or the most demanding ABX test. Our ears will not fail.
As already mentioned, we must be used to listening to musical instruments in real life, we cannot ask for evaluations of the guys who love the powerful subwoofer in their cars.
My wife and one of my children play classical music with a guitar built by a Luthier many years ago, (more than 40) the wood is already parked, ha.
It sounds great, even to my tired ears and their high frequency limits.
A short time ago, I installed my new cartridge, an MC considered "very musical", I put my best direct cut vinyl (I have attached a record of the recording technicians, perhaps they are known to a professional on this forum) and I asked for their opinion. "Sounds great," they said, but I sensed that they didn't want to disappoint me.
So I decided to go for the truth (which is always bitter, they say) and I asked them if what they heard was the same as what they perceived when they exercise interpreting the Rovira Study ...
No more questions.

(Sorry for the quality of the photos.)

Attachments

• IMG_20220107_193023.jpg
    IMG_20220107_193023.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220107_193035.jpg
    IMG_20220107_193035.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220107_193048.jpg
    IMG_20220107_193048.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 29
Some of my best recordings are "Doug Sax" recordings, Sheffield Lab in particular.

Admittedly each person's physical and psychological hearing will make them perceive acoustical events differently. We all listen primarily for different things and that will govern the accuracy of how we evaluate the believability of what we're listening to. Placing a live musician and a speaker behind an acoustically transparent sheet and asking a listener to differentiate between the two is probably the best test you can perform. Most people will pick the live musician even if their ears aren't that educated. Our brains will pick it all apart very quickly and reliably in most cases.

Relative and absolute comparison is the issue here. While most people can't identify absolute flat FR (especially outside of the 500 - 8000 Hz band), they still will he able to compare the real thing from the fake reproduction. When you listen to speakers, you already come into the situation biased and aware you are listening to a copy, not the real thing. Just listening to a live person's speech is more than enough to weed out a good speakerr from a bad one. No, the wow factor of impressive low end response isn't there, but 99 percent of what matters will be there to come to a safe conclusion of the quality and engineering you're dealing with.

Agree 101 %