Why Do DACs Always Contain an Op-Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hehehe ;)

These are really great points.

The trend in ICs is toward having a main IC "absorb" all surrounding ICs and components that it needs..
We see it a lot in computers, and in SoCs..

And what you say regarding its effect on sound, definitely makes sense..

In that case, I guess that after I finish with the current set of DACs that I ordered, I should focus on finding the older ones.. ones with a big circuit around them

Also why sales of vinyl are on the increase again. There is just something lacking in the sound produced by recent digital audio chips, regardless of the specs.

I bought a cheap USB to I2S interface to try listening to Youtube through one of my Dacs out of curiosity. I am using my smart tv and home theatre amp at present, and whilst the sound is good, it is also characterless less and not really very involving. Without the video to watch at the same time, I would lose interest very quickly.
(sorry off topic)

and whilst the sound is good, it is also characterless less and not really very involving.
So what you're describing is before the DAC I assume..
I hope after conencting the DAC it'll be better.

You mentioned before the AD1862 and AD1865 which are old,
I also saw sometime ago the AD1955 being mentioned..

So to narrow my experiments, which of these 3 do you suggest to take, as my Analog Devices representative?

batteryman said:
I bought a cheap USB to I2S interface to try listening to Youtube through one of my Dacs out of curiosity. I am using my smart tv and home theatre amp at present, and whilst the sound is good, it is also characterless less and not really very involving.
"Cheap". "Youtube". On that basis you dismiss digital audio?

Don't visit certain High Street 'restaurants'. If you do, on the basis of having to eat their food with your fingers in a noisy atmosphere with uncomfortable seats you might decide to stop eating food.

I believe it is simply because the consumer product manufacturers like to use as few components as possible in their designs so one chip that not only does it all, AND just needs a single power supply ofr 5volts is what they will buy.
The chip manufacturers then compete with each other to fulfil these requirements.

I agree with this completely.

Sound quality is not the top priority. In fact the reason why the old dacs from last century sound better is, I think, because:
A) they weren't designed with these constraints
B) I can't see how so much technology squeezed into a 4mm square TSSOP package can be good at avoiding crosstalk between the analogue and the digital sections.

A technical advantage of small packages is their small current loop areas, that help to keep magnetic coupling under control. They also reduce parasitic inductance between external decoupling capacitors and internal circuitry.

Re CS4398 vs CS4344, I don't know which sounds better because specs aren't a definite guide, but I'll bet the CS4398 does.

AD1955 is an excellent chip. It's one of only two I know (the other is PCM179? my memory fails me) that can be set to bypass the oversampling so with 384KHz 24 bit data it becomes non-oversampling (NOS). NOS vs OS sound quite different so definitely try a NOS DAC to see if it's your cup of tea. AD1862 is worth a look for NOS too.

Fancy a curve ball? If you are using a class D amplifier, then you can think about not bothering with a DAC - get a different kind of amp - google "full digital amplifier". No op amps at all in them.

This hobby can get expensive.

Last edited:
(the other is PCM179? my memory fails me)
This is what google shows for a starting text of "PCM17":

pcm17.png

Fancy a curve ball? If you are using a class D amplifier, then you can think about not bothering with a DAC - get a different kind of amp - google "full digital amplifier". No op amps at all in them.
Yes I was told about Fully Digital Amplifiers when I asked about SMSL AD18..

Amazon.com: SMSL AD18 80W2 Bluetooth 4.2 HIFI USB DSP Digital Decoding Power Amplifier: MP3 Players & Accessories

It looks like a raelly nice device,
and definitely interesting, because of the Fully Digital Amplifier.

It's 145$..

It would've been nicer to start and hear a Fully Digital Amplifier that comes as a small PCB, for eBay/AliExpress, for a cheap price,
like they do with everything else.

Is there such one?

Probably should be mentioned that most (all?) DAC's that report performance at 44/48 vs higher sampling rates behave best at the 44/48 kHz end. I suppose having NOS at higher sampling rates means you can do your own oversampling and filtering, though, if you should find the provided filters unfavorable. (which, I'd love to know how you're hearing up that high, unless you like aliasing artifacts?!)

Cirrus makes the chip for apple, usually their best chip at the time of manufacture.
since it is external to the SOC noise is kept minimal as is jitter.
As I see it, any digital player from very cheap to expensive it is the clock accuracy that will most affect the sound quality. This is because the chip buffers and tests the reader data for accuracy. the sound you hear has been read into buffer memory several seconds before it is played.
isolate the DAC power supply and replace the timing crystal with better units.

Last edited:
Probably should be mentioned that most (all?) DAC's that report performance at 44/48 vs higher sampling rates behave best at the 44/48 kHz end.
Good point.
BTW I've never seen such reports,
are they included in a DAC's datasheet, or some place else?

Cirrus makes the chip for apple, usually their best chip at the time of manufacture.
Nice

Probably should be mentioned that most (all?) DAC's that report performance at 44/48 vs higher sampling rates behave best at the 44/48 kHz end. I suppose having NOS at higher sampling rates means you can do your own oversampling and filtering, though, if you should find the provided filters unfavorable. (which, I'd love to know how you're hearing up that high, unless you like aliasing artifacts?!)

Usually the provided filters of oversampling DACs don't fully suppress imaging, only imaging above 0.55 fs or so at low sample rates and sometimes even higher at high sample rates.

I know of one Japanese experiment that seemed to show that Japanese gamelan players can subliminally hear above 26 kHz, but I'm not sure if the experiment was double blind or only single blind (which would render it useless).

If you can't hear above 20 kHz and have no pets, high sample rate recordings are useless and there is no need to worry about imaging as long as it isn't bad enough to fry your tweeters or cause TIM in your amplifier.

If the Japanese are right, it makes sense to buy high sample rate recordings, to make your own oversampling filter to get rid of the images between 0.5 fs and 0.55 fs and to experiment with apodizing filters.

This is all assuming that the issue of intersample overshoots has been dealt with somehow, as these are less severe with higher sample rate recordings (independent of whether you can hear anything above 20 kHz).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.