Why Audiophiles Hate Bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the mid 70s as well as series 11 901 I also owned the top of the range studicraft by bose at that time i liked them but nowadays there are probs better speakers in tv sets.
(BTW I got bose cos i used to sell em) I think in those days bose was as good/bad as just about everyone else.
The mainstream hi-fi market has now totally outpaced them to the point they now seem to only make cheapo consumer grade products at hi-fi prices.
I am amazed they are still around a testament to extreme marketing practices no doubt.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
New lows at Bose as firmware update woes infuriate soundbar bros
The Lexus of speakers does it again. This time, no audio at all
New lows at Bose as firmware update woes infuriate soundbar bros • The Register

Typical marketing crap with all its issues thrown in...
I'm not surprised.

I saw problems coming long ago when HDMI was "invented"
When "wireless connectivity" was invented...
When the time-tested RCA jacks were slowly dissapearing off of things...

It's all a bunch of BS.

The mainstream hi-fi market has now totally outpaced them to the point they now seem to only make cheapo consumer grade products at hi-fi prices.
I am amazed they are still around a testament to extreme marketing practices no doubt.

The money is in consumer products. "Hi-fi" barely exists in the market any more.

People want what they want. They want all the annoying digital doo-dads. They want a speaker that's voiced to sound a certain way even if it sounds like mud to a discerning ear. They want the prestige that goes along with owning Bose products (this is a real perception among middle class consumers). They want as lifestyle.

They're like the new Maseratis. I thought they were just glorified Buicks until I rode in one. They are so gimmicky and awful in every way. They are worse than a glorified Buick. And I'm old enough to remember when a Maserati was truly something special. Ernesto is spinning in his grave. The stupid hurts.

You have to build your own.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I think a lot of the hostility towards Bose products coming from audiophiles stems from the situation a lot of us faced back in the day. As soon as someone found out that you were into audio, they'd ask your opinion on buying a good system. You'd give that opinion and then the inevitable "what do you think of Bose?" question would come up. My answer was usually that they weren't necessarily bad sound but poor value for money.

You'd then ask them later what type of system they'd purchased and inevitably they'd have purchased a Bose system.

The type of person that wastes your time asking your opinion and then ignores it is called an "askhole". I still get people that do this.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
The money is in consumer products. "Hi-fi" barely exists in the market any more.

People want what they want. They want all the annoying digital doo-dads. They want a speaker that's voiced to sound a certain way even if it sounds like mud to a discerning ear. They want the prestige that goes along with owning Bose products (this is a real perception among middle class consumers). They want as lifestyle.

They're like the new Maseratis. I thought they were just glorified Buicks until I rode in one. They are so gimmicky and awful in every way. They are worse than a glorified Buick. And I'm old enough to remember when a Maserati was truly something special. Ernesto is spinning in his grave. The stupid hurts.

You have to build your own.

During the "Golden Age" of Hi-Fi, about 1960 to 1980, products were serious and focused on the "discerning listener" - people had a state of mind that is quite different these days.
The quality of those vintage products was much nicer than today's horrible messes, but the consumer rarely knew what was actually behind those pretty knob infested control panels.
Because the eventual "dumbing down of the masses" has taken place, manufacturers have now accordingly designed their products to suit, and we've all seen the results - it ain't pretty.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi vacuphile,
Difficult to buy a bad loudspeaker in the consumer segment.
I completely disagree with you on this. I would support a statement like "the average quality of loudspeakers has been the most improved product to audio consumers". However, the real junk is still out there in force.
never was off the shelf sound as good as today
Again, I have to politely disagree with you. For the low performance end of the electronics in the market, you're absolutely right. Never has the really cheap scrap been as good as it is today. This isn't true of the "mid-fi" and "hi-fi" markets. In earlier times, a great deal of attention was paid in the engineering and construction of equipment. Products could generally be run hard and were expected to survive those events. There was a great deal of engineering going on in the chase for the best equipment. It had to measure well, and often it also had to sound really good on top of that. Companies had sound rooms that they used to vet every new piece.

Today, very few manufacturers have a sound room. In fact, product goes to the lowest bidder for contract manufacturing. What is terrible for the consumer today is that products never mature before a new line is brought in. There is no parts support to speak of and most warranty is repair by replacement. Anyone want to guess how out of warranty service is carried out? With most companies, the consumer is the big loser. We are paying probably about what we would have been with quality product and real service support. We are not getting this value any more. All thanks to voting with our dollars and the greed of other humans (without considering the intangibles). Yeah us!

Some things really were better in the 70's and early 80's. After that, most products are junk, not designed to be serviced.

The low volume high end market? More lies out there today than ever. Most high end players don't even have the test equipment needed to even verify their claims. More expensive junk. I know because I still repair the mid-fi and high end market equipment. With a little effort, the 70's products can be made to have great performance, better than many "high end" pieces do.

Don't even get me started on Lifestyle products!

-Chris

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hi vacuphile,

I completely disagree with you on this. I would support a statement like "the average quality of loudspeakers has been the most improved product to audio consumers". However, the real junk is still out there in force.

Again, I have to politely disagree with you. For the low performance end of the electronics in the market, you're absolutely right. Never has the really cheap scrap been as good as it is today. This isn't true of the "mid-fi" and "hi-fi" markets. In earlier times, a great deal of attention was paid in the engineering and construction of equipment. Products could generally be run hard and were expected to survive those events. There was a great deal of engineering going on in the chase for the best equipment. It had to measure well, and often it also had to sound really good on top of that. Companies had sound rooms that they used to vet every new piece.

Today, very few manufacturers have a sound room. In fact, product goes to the lowest bidder for contract manufacturing. What is terrible for the consumer today is that products never mature before a new line is brought in. There is no parts support to speak of and most warranty is repair by replacement. Anyone want to guess how out of warranty service is carried out? With most companies, the consumer is the big loser. We are paying probably about what we would have been with quality product and real service support. We are not getting this value any more. All thanks to voting with our dollars and the greed of other humans (without considering the intangibles). Yeah us!

Some things really were better in the 70's and early 80's. After that, most products are junk, not designed to be serviced.

The low volume high end market? More lies out there today than ever. Most high end players don't even have the test equipment needed to even verify their claims. More expensive junk. I know because I still repair the mid-fi and high end market equipment. With a little effort, the 70's products can be made to have great performance, better than many "high end" pieces do.

Don't even get me started on Lifestyle products!

-Chris

Chris, you beat me to it, because all that you've just said, and more, is true facts.
Thank you.

When you're a seasoned service tech like us, you're privvy to knowing such things that the average consumer does not.
And as a long-time tech, I've seen with my own eyes and test equipment the build quality, performance, and durability change, as years go by.
And it hasn't changed for the better, generally speaking.
And those that insist on arguing the point, stating "new technology is better" are only fooling themselves, not me.

Give me a vintage piece of equipment, I'll being it back to spec, perhaps even better than original, and have it provide me satisfaction and enjoyment for decades till I die.

The snotnoses who disagree with me can do what they want.
T'aint no skin off my hide. :D

Carbon printed resistors, I seem to remember that they started this in the 80's.
It's hard to replace a burnt carbon printed resistor.

"The problem with your amplifier is that you have an open 1K resistor, I'm sorry but it is printed on the circuit board
and has charred the board, so buy something else."

The video is obviously newer, but the whole idea was really bad for the repair industry.

YouTube

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.