Why Audiophiles Hate Bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re:>wiseoldtech.You are so right as regards the dumbing down of the masses.HOW I repeat HOW has it come to this.!!!!!
I am now 63yrs old, The internet and sites such as diy audio are a goldmine of usefull/wonderfull information.I only wish I has this 40 years ago.
If an old timer such as myself can be enlightened. why oh why not the population at large. I live in the UK and look at comments on the BBC website,The ignorance is ASTOUNDING its as if the younger generation have been somehow brainwashed.
Needless to say this does not apply to All younger people.but a sizeable chunk.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Re:>wiseoldtech.You are so right as regards the dumbing down of the masses.HOW I repeat HOW has it come to this.!!!!!
I am now 63yrs old, The internet and sites such as diy audio are a goldmine of usefull/wonderfull information.I only wish I has this 40 years ago.
If an old timer such as myself can be enlightened. why oh why not the population at large. I live in the UK and look at comments on the BBC website,The ignorance is ASTOUNDING its as if the younger generation have been somehow brainwashed.
Needless to say this does not apply to All younger people.but a sizeable chunk.

Indeed, most are brainwashed.
It's the result of endless propoganda and teachings since they were born.
....they simply don't know any better, they don't know or understand how things were before them.
And the few that do, are coached by modern beliefs into believing that "old is bad".

My reasons for loving 😍 Bose products is more practical.
I have two lives, one is fat happy in Suburb USA.
The other can survive off grid with music operating solar power.
My tube amps are in suburban home and dclass is in the sticks.
Bose has a nice selection of good sounding ready to go *compact* amps.
I just purchased another one used on eBay.
Cheers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can see where you love the convenience jfetter. If you relax your standards, then Bose becomes a very practical product to use.

Me? I can't relax my listening standards unless I'm in the car - to a point. The only car I can't listen to the factory stereo are Ford products. Those absolutely require a radio and speaker swap with custom mounting. Not even a radio talk show is acceptable the those systems that Ford uses. About the only thing you can't replace are the steering wheel controls for the radio. Same for most cars, but the Ford system swap is mandatory!

-Chris

I do not hate Bose. Once I have done a favor for an acquaintance of mine by building a new subwoofer part (new 8" units) of the I forgot what model acoustimass it was and kept the satellites while designing a new passive crossover for the rig. The full range units/enclosures were utterly decently built.

I can see where you love the convenience jfetter. If you relax your standards, then Bose becomes a very practical product to use.

Me? I can't relax my listening standards unless I'm in the car - to a point. The only car I can't listen to the factory stereo are Ford products. Those absolutely require a radio and speaker swap with custom mounting. Not even a radio talk show is acceptable the those systems that Ford uses. About the only thing you can't replace are the steering wheel controls for the radio. Same for most cars, but the Ford system swap is mandatory!

-Chris

When I looked for speakers for my last Ford I decided it was the last Ford I would ever own. Many cars has now ok systems from the factory. I remember Opel Astra`s stock system sounding quite good already in the late 90ies. I never got why most stock speaker are directed at ones knees. Has any of you heard Bose car stereo?
Cheers!

My wife’s Subaru Forester has a premium Harmon Kardon system as part of an interior package, and to be honest, lots of fun control/balance / EQ settings, but even “flat” I think the stock speakers on my 2010 Ranger extended cab sound more natural. In the ten years I’ve been driving it, the only thing I upgraded was the front end from the quite abysmal stock radio to a middle of the road Kenwood touchscreen, itself now at least 8yrs behind the curve.

I count reme er ever having heard - or being aware of - a Bose auto system.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Bose systems were factory installed in several GM vehicle lines back in the early/mid 1980's.
Buick Regals, Corvettes, a few other models had them.
The 4 speaker modules each had a 25 watt amp built in, and the dash had the head unit.
I used to work for Delco Radio service and had to work on them at times.

Bose auto systems were first used in top-end GM cars starting with ~'84 Corvettes- and... Sevilles...? IIRC, -don't quote me on that. Other GM's, Nissan and Infiniti followed shortly after. 80's-90's Bose autosound typically used 4 full range speakers, either 4-4", or 2-4" and 2-6x9's, using ½Ω-1Ω impedance to make the most of 12V battery power without SMPS. Each speaker had it's own amplifier with EQ tailored to that location in the car. 300ZX's had a 2" or so center channel speaker in a DIN-sized enclosure mounted in-dash under the head unit.

None of the Delco-Bose were remarkable, I preferred the standard Delco systems in the big GM 4-doors. Thinking back, the Maxima and Q45 Bose systems were probably the best sounding factory systems in those days, along with Lexus/Nak.

I had a 2005 Armada and have a 2011 Altima 3.5 SR with Bose systems, multi-speaker with some combinations of sub/full range/tweeter/center and outboard amps. The Armada was not bad, I don't care for the Altima's setup at all, it's more annoying than entertaining.

My 2004 Tahoe had a Bose system.
It was ok but my 2016 f150 4x4 has a super 'windows embedded' sound system.
It sounds great and handles 256GB usb thumb drive with 24,000 320kbit mp3.
I've tested it with ntfs and exfat.
Display response is slow when doing search etc but sounds great.

Texas Edition but I think it's the audio system is basic oem.
It does sound good.

I have the cd's at Suburb home and mp3 library on a legacy MacBook using bluetooth at hideout.
Also have some buried copies of music and books different locations.

Chris, I am guessing you are limited in your listening of Ford products. I have a very nice system in the Edge but the Escape sounds more like a Bose travesty. Similar with the Ranger and Taurus I had. Mind you everything was awful back then. You had to go aftermarket.

Yes, the Ranger in question was one of the last new batch the dealer had in 2009 - a promotional entry level RWD extended cab “Sport” - V6, rubber mats, only creature confession was AC. Factory head unit came with 6 months free Sirius radio, so I waited until that expired to upgrade the head unit, and have long since stopped caring enough to upgrade the stock speakers.
My former employer has long been a charter member of the Ford F series business lease cult - always a Platinum series with towing package for hime and either 250 or 350 with full 4FD /off-road package for the foreman who is a bow and long gun hunter. The infotainment rigs in the current Platinums are quite nice indeed.

I like Bose. Good ol classic 901's were on the radar and when i went in to buy the sales guy gave me a button to press. Bose "click" McIntosh "click" Bose "click" McIntosh... Thanks Bose for demonstrating what was missing. I bought the XR5' and listen to them every day since 1979...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Calhoun,
No, I've listened to a lot over time. But you would be correct in thinking I haven't bothered in recent times. There didn't see to be any point.

In my Taurus wagon (big P.O.S.), the speakers were on a narrow bracket that placed the speaker away from the hole in the trim panel by about 3/4". It sounded awful and it was the upgraded package for 1992. That car was the worst car I have ever owned or driven, neatly lining up behind other Ford cars I have owned (three). Just a total disaster of a car. The sound was even unbearable on talk radio. Needless to say, an upgrade was in order, so a Nakamichi system went in. That was fantastic, but the car had all kinds of odd electrical problems until the system was removed and the factory shite went back in. I have never owned or driven in any Ford product that I could stand the stereo in.

Now, the GM-Bose was also a poor performer. I also preferred the standard Delco system. They weren't fantastic by any means, but they were good enough to leave installed with just a speaker upgrade. Even the stock speakers weren't horrible compared to Ford's offerings. GM stereos have neat features, like the volume goes up as you drive faster to cover the road noise. Works really well and I forget about it until I drive another brand of car. I just recently bought a Toyota Matrix. The stereo isn't really bad, but I am planning to install the Nakamichi system in that car. Like before, I'll have a professional do the installation. That will make the Matrix a true pleasure to drive. There is even a Polk sub box that will be returned to use driven by a 70 wpc Nakamichi PA-300 II. The other speakers are driven by a Nak PA-350 (35 wpc x 4). That should be more than enough. The Matrix is a 2007 with 250,000 KM, so I'm not bothered by modifying it at all.

-Chris

Cruise ship Bose L1S used in all venues except big theater.
This pic is a DJ station sets up every day. Power situation on board is gltchy and saggy. They play all genre live too. Lots of punch EDM.
All appear several years old. Salt water environment too...

Attachments

• Bose-L1s-daytime.jpg
    Bose-L1s-daytime.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 132
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.