Why are there not many 18" subwoofers available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You want something cheaper? your kidding right?

The only way to get something new for less is if its shop soiled or B grade.

Man you must be really broke or cheap;)

Noticed the SPL: 94.2 dB 2.83W/1m

Thats very high indeed.

Frequency range: 30-2,000 Hz

I would suspect the Mms is only 160 to 200 grams including the coil, so this really is just a loud big speaker, it doubt it will make much bass with its very limited excursion, i hate the accordion surround esp when there paper, there just so fragile and nasty.

Read over this thread...always was under the impression that a driver's inductance and the enclosure environment had far more to do with the transient response than simply Mms.

Adire has two 18" drivers in their new lineup, but who knows when they're being released :)

Glowbug said:
Read over this thread...always was under the impression that a driver's inductance and the enclosure environment had far more to do with the transient response than simply Mms.

Adire has two 18" drivers in their new lineup, but who knows when they're being released :)

You can work that way and see that transients is more than just Mms alone, the amplification will have an affect to.

I have never heard of Adire.

let throw in my .02

simon5 said:
Not really, I sent him a PM on another forum hehe.

Does someone knows a cheaper 18" woofer than this one?
Parameters are below average at best...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-386

I don't know for sure about there retail store, but i got on off ebay for less than 70 shilings+s/h of course. It is from a company called ADIsound, www.adisound.com and no theres no "M" in front. They are model #PD-1800 they model real well in Winisd pro. In a 5.5ft3 tuned to 16Hz will reach 109db at just under 200 watts with not reaching xmax. Forget Goldwood they are like limburger cheese.....yeah it's cheese but it sure smells like shiit. Matter of fact i saw 18's being sold on ebay today for 40.00

Iron-Wizard said:
That Splinter woofer is very big indeed, odd specs, only 1000 watts power handling with such a low sensitivity coil at 82 db.

I wonder who would buy it and what type of sound quality it has with so much travel.

There kind of expensive or am i really out of touch?

The RL-s?

It uses TC Sounds' Linear Motor Technology, instead of a "typical" underhung or XBL^2 motor, for example. Supposed to have an extremely flat BL curve, though I've never heard one in real life.

They were quite a disappointment to the car audio folks mainly because of the enclosure requirements - they simply need so much volume and power to get moving. Definitely not a practical design when two "standard" drivers can be used and get more displacement for basically the same price. In a smaller enclosure.

Glowbug said:

The RL-s?

It uses TC Sounds' Linear Motor Technology, instead of a "typical" underhung or XBL^2 motor, for example. Supposed to have an extremely flat BL curve, though I've never heard one in real life.

They were quite a disappointment to the car audio folks mainly because of the enclosure requirements - they simply need so much volume and power to get moving. Definitely not a practical design when two "standard" drivers can be used and get more displacement for basically the same price. In a smaller enclosure.

I tried to join your SS website, do i have to pay, i ahve registered but i can not log in?

So how does this TC magnet work, i have never heard of the XBL2 motor, sounds like a rocket from a comic strip :D,
If the BL is flat does this mean it has the same sound quality at low volumes and high volumes? sounds like a good idea.

I can understand the Splinter not being taken on, not many amplifiers can make 1000 watts RMS with a 12 volt power supply and not fry themselfs, that would be better in a truck system with 24 volts. I know lots of truckers but they dont care about big woofers, they are happy with a pair of Pepboy specials behind their heads.

The splinter must be for those compitition guys, more money than sense but somebody has to be mad.

Iron-Wizard said:

I tried to join your SS website, do i have to pay, i ahve registered but i can not log in?

So how does this TC magnet work, i have never heard of the XBL2 motor, sounds like a rocket from a comic strip :D,
If the BL is flat does this mean it has the same sound quality at low volumes and high volumes? sounds like a good idea.

I can understand the Splinter not being taken on, not many amplifiers can make 1000 watts RMS with a 12 volt power supply and not fry themselfs, that would be better in a truck system with 24 volts. I know lots of truckers but they dont care about big woofers, they are happy with a pair of Pepboy specials behind their heads.

The splinter must be for those compitition guys, more money than sense but somebody has to be mad.

Hmm, is the top bar still orange on the forum? It's a free forum, you should be able to post if your account is active...maybe you need to activate it via email or something.

XBL^2 is a motor topology designed by Dan Wiggins over at Adire Audio, he's licensed it out to several other manufacturers. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I explain the concepts of BL and motor strength, as it's not something I'll probably do a good job of on 2 hours sleep :D

You'd be surprised at how many kW+ amps there are for 12VDC. The problem is, most drivers don't *need* a kilowatt to really get moving. It's also a SVC 3 ohm driver, and therein lies a bigger problem. A 1000 watts @ 3 ohms is a different ball game in the mobile electronics market than 1000 watts @ 1 ohm nominal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.