Why are sealed box woofers out of fashion

Let us shed some light on the B200 topic. Loos like a legit 6 ohm unit.

B200-6.png

Attachments

• B200-6.zma
    12.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think the sealed box are really out of fashion... But if you want to reach a low bass extension, the enclosure has to be quite wide and built with the suitable Woofer to maintain the QTC=0.71, which represents the optimal compromise between volume / bass extension / linearity / impulse response.

To "rival" my DIY bass-reflex 3-ways 375L, I designed a 4-ways sealed enclosure, using a Beyma 12BR70, still available today :

1716492034217.png
1716491919981.png

With a neat VB at 115L, I should reach F3=44Hz, F6=34Hz, F10=24Hz, with the excellent transient and damping characteristics tied to the sealed enclosures...

No prototype is built for the moment, but it will come ! ;)

T

Reactions: 2 users
All that aside where are efficiency and sensitivity defined? The manufacturers often cloud the two. I would think efficiency should be in percent, 1 watt in .5 watts out is 50%.
Manufactures seldom use "efficiency", describing a loudspeaker with an 80dB sensitivity at 40Hz as having 0.6% efficiency does not sell well ;) .

Sensitivity is usually defined as on axis SPL in dB at 1 watt electrical input, measured at 1 meter.
A cone loudspeaker’s sensitivity is usually measured using an infinite baffle, a half sphere radiation.
The voltage used is often 2.83 Volts RMS, which is 1 watt into an 8 Ω (nominal) speaker impedance, though that same voltage would be double the power into half the impedance, or half the power into double the impedance.
Since a speaker’s sensitivity and Q (radiation pattern) varies with frequency, a single sensitivity number is not very useful in comparing loudspeakers.

Converting sensitivity to efficiency is possible.
https://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-efficiency.htm
The 0 dB reference level for sound is 10−12 watts.
1 acoustical watt is 120 dBSPL.
The standard measurement for a cone loudspeaker is done with it mounted flush on an infinite baffle radiating into half space at a distance of r = 1 m.
The resultant factor 2π × r2 (area of a half sphere) equals −8 dB. Therefore an efficiency of 1 = 100 % for a sensitivity of 120 − 8 = 112 dB.

This calculation is correct for a loudspeaker radiating in a hemisphere, 2π. Otherwise you must add the Q factor because of directionality.
Spherical radiation Q = 1, hemisphere Q = 2, quarter sphere Q = 4, and eighth sphere Q = 8.
Sensitivity:Efficiency.png

Note that using the above calculation, efficiency of over 100% is possible for high Q devices like narrow coverage horns which can have on axis sensitivity of well over 112dB.
If the horn driver had uniform radiation over a half sphere, it’s efficiency would be under 50%.

Art

Reactions: 3 users
I believe the definition of a "true" acoustic suspension is that the driver Vas is >2 times the box volume. You just don't find woofers with the really high compliance that used to be common years ago.
yes exactly. acoustic suspension has the box air spring as the dominant stiffness. The lower the suspension stiffness, the smaller box can be used for the same Qtc and same sensitivity. The ideal sealed woofer has thus a low Qts due to a high compliance suspension. The current paradigm about a high Qts suited for sealed is completely misunderstood. Same with the EBP rule for vented vs sealed

Reactions: 6 users
The current paradigm about a high Qts suited for sealed is completely misunderstood. Same with the EBP rule for vented vs sealed
In a day and age of active systems are easy to make and in some cases even cheaper compared to passive filters, it's not all that interesting.

Although the truth is, that's also a bit of a simplified explanation if we don't look at other parameters, like apparent power from the amplifier as well as peak voltage from the boost EQ. (Well the last ine will be a cut EQ in this particular case).

I have never noticed the paradigm. It has always been a mix between Qt, VAS and Fs.
But also still ONLY as a very rough rule of thumb.

Just model and simulate it in your favourite software program.
It takes less than 5 minutes to get a first impression.

Or you 3d-print them yourself:
Or you contact @Kravchenko_Audio ;)

I have been following that 3D printing guy for a while as well.
Totally admire the whole idea and concept.

I personally wouldn't go as hardcore, like not 3D printing the surrounds.
Also there is only very minimal amount of verification (measurements etc) going on.
So a lot of ideas are just theoretical and hypothetical and nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't take away the care that's being put into it.
But it's hard to find the practicality of it.

Reactions: 1 users
I use their 8" "PA" driver - it's not cheap but also very good. I also used/measured one of their small midranges with paper membrane - very nice unit, just not very loud. But as soon as you jump to their HE series ... they are too expensive.
I know, but that much better than say like a BMS, Eighteensound or B&C for the right application?

A speaker is never minimum phase.
Yes they are.

Or are you now gonna tell us that all these equivalent lumped circuits and fundamental rock solid theory behind is is all BS?

In that case I wonder why you're spending time on a forum and not write an AES paper?
Which must also result in a Nobel price, since it means that fundamental physics has to be rewritten.

A speaker is never minimum phase.
Well that statement is at least inconplete the way it is written. Bare drivers are definitely minimum phase devices. For the complete speakers it depends on how they are crossed-over. Crossovers like Linkwitz Riley for instance have allpass behaviour and are therefore not minimum phase.

Regards

Charles

Well that statement is at least inconplete the way it is written. Bare drivers are definitely minimum phase devices. For the complete speakers it depends on how they are crossed-over. Crossovers like Linkwitz Riley for instance have allpass behaviour and are therefore not minimum phase.

Regards

Charles
The fact that loudspeakers can be modeled in equivalent circuits already means that they MUST be minimum phase.

Otherwise there is nothing to model.

But hey, this concept is just only already known from about 1870s-1880s :D :D
For those who have quite some catching-up to do, this is a easy start;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical–electrical_analogies

But I would recommend reading some proper literature actually.

I know, but that much better than say like a BMS, Eighteensound or B&C for the right application?
For my application - yes. They are very low loss and have low THD at low levels - what for e.g. a 8NMB420 does not have.
For PA use I would not trust them enough and sensitivity is not high enough, I would chose PHL instead.
But I only tested about 10 8", the newer B&Cs look interesting.

For my application - yes. They are very low loss and have low THD at low levels - what for e.g. a 8NMB420 does not have.
For PA use I would not trust them enough and sensitivity is not high enough, I would chose PHL instead.
But I only tested about 10 8", the newer B&Cs look interesting.
right, I understand what you're saying.

There is basically a gap in the market here.
PA-like speakers that actually don't look like a turd and also perform like hifi speakers (aka, not stripped down because it doesn't matter at 110dB SPL anymore while half the crowd is drunk anyway), but just with more sensitivity and headroom.