why are old school amps worth so much?

zapco to the max

Sadly, I sold my two s80'S (sn 11 & 12!), But I still have my Z220 from that system. Let me know what you're looking for seriuosly, and as I troll (everywhere everyday) for all things Zapco, I'll shoot you the links.

Right now I've got :
a mint Studio 50 and a mint Studio 100 (the next amp series after the s80's-M80's's and the Z220's. The Studios are destined form s lean (affordable) SQ system for my work car.

All I've got right now is the 4th Z220 , which isn't for sale ever at any price. (I'm looking for #5, #6, #7, #8 and #9. )

Takes time, but I'll find them.

Send along your phone. All my EQ has always been audiocontrol. I'm buying a Z06 in a year or so, unless I decide to spend my 401 > ZR1.

At any rate I want to do either 5.1 system (bi-amped), using all old school Zapco stuff, or a really good 4 channel setup; but using the correct 1/2 din dash eq's from Zapco. However in the day I couldn't afford kids and all the EQ stuff, so I'd appreciate talking with you to verify what I know about the setup of such a system >>> so I could perhaps go that way on the next system.

In the Mitz, I couldn't figure out a clean way to do an amp board w/o adding serious weight, so I decided to modify the seat back to make it more structurally sound, and use its back panel to mount everything.

I still have to have my friend the sheet metal man bend up a couple of brackets to hold my BA X-overs over the Z220's in the center of inside edge of the rear seats. Those suckers are HUGE (6 x 8 or 9 inches). In the end my seat mods added 8 lbs. I need to weight them with the Z220's, because its got to be pushing 25 to 30 lbs with everything there.

I suppose then I learn to glass a custom sub box in a corner. I have a friend who works for Cytec, Engineered products, who make CF composites. So...I have a piece of CF cloth thats 30 feet long by 5 ft wide.

The bottom edge and sides might be glass underneath, but the top and visible sides wil be CF. You use epoxy and build up the CF, between sandings; and you can make some beautiful CF molded enclosures. This is the same material used to make the F-35 wing panels, so in the end its got massive tensile strength (no flexing to the sub). He'll give me the best generic type of epoxy to use; so I can develop the requisite tensiles. It'll be similar to what they use in aerospace applications (except his EXACT one is classified).

send your email to lgvenable@gmail.com, and your phone if you dont mind. My cell is 262-573-5401

Larry

Re: zapco to the max

lgvenable said:
Let me know what you're looking for seriuosly, and as I troll (everywhere everyday) for all things Zapco, I'll shoot you the links.

Zapco 150/151/151A amps and broke PEQ/SEQ's/PX (or cheap ones). If you ever break a PEQ/ SEQ slider, I sell them. Never did much with the 220, but that is what Zapco turned the 151a into. So the pre-220's is what I am after...

Sounds like you have the same goal as me on using the older stuff. New stuff just doesn't sound the same. Or maybe it does, and I am too stubborn to tell the difference. Either way, old school installs are the way to go for me. (looks like you too)

I have approx 100 vintage Zapco pieces. (some amps take 2 and 3 pieces to be complete) Will be putting as many that will fit into the car on mids/highs. Don't have anything Zapco that will run the big sub, so have to use either my Linear, or my us amps vlx-400 ...

Here are some links. These are of the Zapco's I have, and then I have a video of where I am at on the car I am building. I hope to fit as many Zapco's as possible into it...
Will email you my info...

VIDEO ---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVLc4Dm6Cp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySlJzsx4BE

PICS OF ZAPCO's
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg278/tomtomjr/CAR AUDIO/?start=all

Re: my head unit

scoopster said:
It's a KRC-878, and I have had it stored inside one of those pullout pouches made out of scuba gear material.

I tried to PM you through the forum, but you have the email setting turned off. My guess, the 878 w/changer, if super nice will bring $150 to $250 pre-the mortgage mess. Maybe more. Just need 2 people that want to duke it out with bids. Unsure of what it will bring now. Things are going cheap on the Bay.

Hey Jol50...
I sold the last of the EC-200 Naks that I could part with. The one I had listed on Ebay without the knobs.
Here is the price chart for the 6 that I sold in the past few months. Kept 5 of them (4-200's, and one 200H) . The rest had to go. The H series brings good $$$.

$245 (ec-200H MINT)
$145 (ec-200H AGV)
$145 (ec-200 Near MINT)
$125 (ec-200 avg)
$95 (ec-200 avg)
$75 (ec-200 avg) missing knobs...

I saw a couple go for 85 a while back but they were not real nice, just usable. I would get another but then I don't use this one anymore so why...really great crossovers though, the mint ones sure are worth a lot as you show...wow. I might use it on a home stereo, but not seeing it in a car anymore.

This alpine 3555 seems cheap for a broken at 29 shipped, 170284317856 Those large ones go for good money.

Some nice photos of some expensive Sony 200282197723 Hmm, think I would buy some zapco or macintosh/etc for that cash but I don't know about sony except for a few of the old ones. Someone here got one a while back. I have a newer mobile ES I've not tried yet, someone wants to buy it off me. It also has few and high power transistors, can even turn off the feedback on it. Think it was 360rmsx1 bridged with only four outputs, is a large amp and sink.

Lot of good amps like old PPI still getting good money for, I don't see any deals there. Or they are listed at prices that are double the norm.

BTW Tomtomjr, I looked for a 200H for a while and did not find, think the search ran out on it. But like I said not sure I'd ever use one now....they are very hard to find kind of like a LP PAII. Guess I have enough stuff here for now anyway...:rolleyes:

Wow, look at this punch45 a $100+? 180311368340

jol50 said:

Wow, look at this punch45 a $100+? 180311368340

This summer I sold my 1st gen RF 45, 75, and 150 for $1k each!!! Almost didn't do it since I know that I won't see anymore of these again. I still see lots of 2nd and 3rd gen RF amps NOS, but the ones I sold were the only NOS 1st gen's I have seen in 20+ years. There was a 45HD that sold 1.5 years ago on Ebay for $504. It was new in box, still factory sealed. Sold to someone in Japan. I still have a 150 and 45 new in box. A 1983 punch 40 NOS, and lots of 70's Fosgate new in box. At times the RF stuff in mint shape brings mad money...

benzola said:
Hi all! Brand new here, found this forum googling my old kac-9020. Not a lot of info out there. I have several other pieces of gear and want to learn about what I have. Is this the right thread? Please direct me...Thanks!;)

This is the right thread...The 9020 and 1020 were great back in the day. I really liked the 1020. Huge amp.

I didn't know RF stuff got so crazy! :eek:

I think I have a KAC-8020 have to look. Place I worked at back then sold them but sold a lot more LP amps that size, some RF, some SS, some Pioneer. They seemed to run hot but work well IIRC, I notice they like to use less outputs it seems. I had a much newer Kenwood the other day and the output section looked near the same as the old one. I had a 9900 HU, was really nice back then, friend still has it. Pretty sure that was the number and the 999 had the EQ. Their crossovers were not that good though.

This summer I sold my 1st gen RF 45, 75, and 150 for $1k each!!!

Whoa, that IS crazy!

I have to say that is my favorite generation of Rockford Fosgate equipment.

The only RF in my collection is one measly little ~1992 AF/2, but it IS NIB, still factory wrapped. I guess I should protect the box a little better...

tomtomjr,
That 3100 is a rare piece. The only other one I've EVER seen was the one that I installed in an ATL Falcon's 930 slant nose back in '89 with one of the first 2125SX's. IIRC, neither piece was even in the sales literature yet. I have a pic or two somewhere...

Well, at least I have pics. Sure do miss them though. These were the amps that started it all. Still have 45,75,and 150's of this series, just not in the box. Have an new 1st gen 75 and 150 without the box still.

The 3100 I see them on Ebay every now and then. This one has no mounting marks, but is missing the slider caps. I will find some one day... maybe... I had my first one in 91 when I got stupid and traded 5 of my Zapco 151's for a Cruise power (like the one in my photo album), and a 3100. One of the dumber moves I have made. Traded them to some guy out in CA. Now the weird part. One of them came back to me. I bought it on Ebay. I knew it was mine because I had marked them with an etching on the bottom. It was one of the 5 that I had traded off 15 years before...
0823070213.jpg

Ok, great! So I have a small pile of gear that is not in use (and hasn't been for 10 years). I am wondering about the desirability of any of this gear and how much money the pieces might fetch if I decide to sell.

Kenwood Kac-9020 - purchased new by me and always worked great

Boston Acoustics 5.4 Pro Series speakers - all taken good care of and back in original packaging. purchased new by me and sounded great with the Kenwood amp

Boston Acoustics 10.4 Pro Series Sub woofer - purchased used in good condition, but never used by me. Came to me in 10.0 original packaging - well kept

Boston Acoustics fx4 - purchased by me but never used. New in box.

Jl Audio 250/1 monoblock amp - purchased new by me but never used. New in box. I thought this would pair nicely with the sub woofer.

IXOS 8awg power kit - purchased with the Jl amp. New in package

Boston Acoustics 757 speakers (2) - taken out of the back deck of a volkswagen, I think

Kenwood kgc-7400 EQ/Fader - purchased new by me with the Kenwood amp!

Yamaha cassette receiver ycr-350 - I think it works!

Well, there it is. I think some of this stuff may be about worthless, while some of it I know to be nice. I have always had this nagging question about why and how car audio is different than home audio. Ohms, impedance, resistance or something. Often thought about building my own "satellites with a sub" system out of these pieces for home audio, but have been advised against it. I would like to understand this more clearly, Thanks! :) :) :)