which tweeter to match with fx120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've already done my new FX120 in the Bass reflex recomende cabinet. They sound great.
As I did once before with a pair of FE207E, I would like to do the same with FX120; wich is to pair them with high freq driver. The FE207 wore mached with Aurum Cantus G2si.
I would like to try something similar and in the same price range, such as Fountek's NEO CD3. Any other suggestion is welcomed. I much appreciate your experience with these drivers (FX120 or similar)
Also, I know I have to make a small "crossover" just with one resistor a a capacitor, or something like it. Do you know the values and the composition of this "mini crosover" for the Fountek or any other tweeter you recomend???
thanks very much for your help.
bye

Why do you want to add a supertweeter? I haven't heard this driver but its big brother the FX200 was fine without one.

IMO pure ribbon tweeters do not work well with a simple capacitor for a crossover, even if nominally crossed very high. A horn supertweeter or piezo is likely to integrate better. If using a ribbon, a planar type is a better bet. (Unless you want to make it a conventional 2 way crossed at 3000Hz or whatever)

Why do you want to add a supertweeter? I haven't heard this driver but its big brother the FX200 was fine without one.

IMO pure ribbon tweeters do not work well with a simple capacitor for a crossover, even if nominally crossed very high. A horn supertweeter or piezo is likely to integrate better. If using a ribbon, a planar type is a better bet. (Unless you want to make it a conventional 2 way crossed at 3000Hz or whatever)

Thanks!!
well, the fostex FX120 plans recommend to use it with T90A or the T...17's. I did it with the Fostex FE207E + Aurum Cantus G2si. Although th AU's didn't looked very good, but it helped a little bit with the highs. With the FX120 I think that it will make some difference too. Not to spend thousands of dollars obviously...
I was considering also the planars as I hear goo reviews from them. Specially the Bohlender Graebener Neo3W. Also the HiVi RT1II looks good aswell. Still the Fountek's are very popular, and that makes me think about buying these, and also because are similar to the AU but more solid ribbon.

You're welcome!

Yeah, in a way the little horn supertweeters are easiest to integrate, and have a better performance/cost ratio. Years back I tried an AC G3 ribbon briefly with an old FE164. While top octave detail of ribbons is hard to beat, the sound was not blending to my satisfaction, and even padded down and highpassed with a 1.0uF cap, the ribbon sounded strained.

If you can find a CTS piezo, those are worth trying. Mine were 1/30 the cost of ribbons, but sounded better as a supertweeter.

The BG planars are much tougher and can handle a simple capacitor highpass. May be worth trying. I've no experience with the HiVi. I have a pair of the little Fountek, but haven't played with them yet. Also, FWIW, regular ribbons work well with the 'Acoustic Reality' series crossover, BTW, but then it's not a fullrange anymore...

Last edited:
This is the recommendation for FX120 from the Fostex plans that came with the FX120 I bought. Don't understand a word, but it's clear the 2 alternatives.
Do you think the FT17H is good enough? as good as the equivalent in HIVI's?? or as the Fountek ribbons??
Also as simple as it is mentioned in the picture: just a Capacitor!!

I've been searchin for info and reviews with this tweeter. I only find people matching them with Hammer dynamics drivers.

What do you think?

The price for them is great, specially compared with it's big brothers. But what I want to know if it's good (and worth) enough as Fountek's and HI Vi's and simple to mount them.

Thanks again. Bye.

PD if any body understands what does it say in these plans I would much appreciate your help.

Attachments

• fx120.jpg
    fx120.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 191
Do you think the FT17H is good enough? as good as the equivalent in HIVI's?? or as the Fountek ribbons??

Yes. Equivalent signal quality IMO if they are equal to the Radio Shack branded version of this driver. They will probably blend with the driver better than ribbons.

That supertweeter is ~10db hotter than that FX120. The single cap method uses a cap which nominally crosses it over at say 40-50kHz, so that it is a the right level in the audible range. This might be annoying to dogs... ;)

You could also just use a 1uF or maybe .68uF cap with an L-pad control to match the level. (like the second diagram)

Last edited:
By the way, these HI Vi's tweeters what kind of filter do I have to do??Is it the same as with Ribbons, just add a Cap + L-pad and try?

The price for them look very nice, NOT the SUPERtweeters with high SPL, but maybe very interesting. As Alean said with the RT1C-A

HiVi RT1II Planar Isodynamic Tweeter Aluminum NEW en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 19-dic-10 10:37:07 H.Esp)
HiVi RT1C-A Planar Isodynamic Tweeter PAIR NEW en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 19-dic-10 10:28:35 H.Esp)

If not i will go for the easy way... as I have the plans for them also (FT17H)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.