Which is the best 7" mid/woofer around?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see you havent replied to my question asking what software you are using for crossover design. Getting the proper driver roll offs, and matching driver levels is very hard to do without seeing how the filter is interacting with the drivers. The drivers you are using are very good...

While this is with the SS 9500/9700, here are some results showing a successful crossover around 2.2khz

Amish revisted

You should be able to get fairly close with the 9500 filter, a lot closer then you likely are right now...

Last edited:
Vance Dickason uses the Scan Speak 18w/8545K00 woofer in his LDC6 Studio Monitor (Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 7th edition) with the Scan Speak D2905 Revelator tweeter. I'd be very surprised if he published a design that sounded harsh, so i'm sure the harsh sound is crossover related.

I agree 100%

I know that that one of the mistakes that I personally made when I started to build loudspeakers was that I would purchase expensive parts, and then blame the parts when the loudspeaker didn't sound good. I turned out that the problem was that I was trying to design the crossover 'by ear', and this is really difficult to do, particularly with high order slopes. I think it's semi-possible to make a decent sounding two way with simple crossovers, well behaved drivers, and your own two ears. But a mic helps a LOT, particularly with boutique drivers and high order xovers. (By 'boutique', I mean drivers with peaks in their response due, such as aluminum or carbon fiber coned drivers.)

Now you have a good list of suggestions, the choice shd be made on what's best for your needs, i.e. size of box, extension etc.
Personally think the 8 ohm Satori looks v good on paper, its not crazy expensive, has a smooth top end and favorable reviews on various forums. Its also a newish driver so has that cache i guess. aesthetically nice too!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Guy's (who are saying it should be able to work) have you looked at the FR of this SS woofer? I personally think without some serious correction on the breakup 4th order L/R at 1.7Khz is not going to get it anywhere close to out of trouble. Even with some serious attenuation in the 2-3Khz range it is clearly out of its comfort range and will probably still have pretty noticable issues...

It looks to me like it is intended to be used in a three (or maybe four) way, crossing over lower than probably 500Hz...

I think that getting something else (for a two way) is warranted. If later the OP wants to do something more challenging then a three way using it is probably an option :)

Tony.

Attachments

• ss_fr.jpg
    ss_fr.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 848
SB are based in scandinavia and have a main factory in Surabaya, Indonesia, I get a discount from the factory(via SB) but I'm not sure if the Satori's are made there.

Off topic Warning:

From what I know, SB Acoustics, is owned by Sinar Baja Electric (based in Indonesia). In 2006 SB Electric founded Danesian Audio in Herning, Denmark (just 10 mins from Videbaek) to develop and design drivers (Ulrik Schmidt and Frank Nielsen both live in Denmark).

The turmoil caused by Vifa, ScanSpeak and Peerless all being bought under one umbrella (DST/Tympany) and then later the break up/dissolution of Tympamy/DST etc caused a lot of ex-Vifa, ex ScanSpeak, and ex Peerless engineers moving on to greener pastures. Wavecor (based in Guangzhou, China) was another company formed from this turmoil (by Allan Isaksen, Per Madsen and others).

It is surprising that a small country like Denmark has so many well known audio products from companies as diverse as Bang & Olufsen, Brüel & Kjær, Oticon, Widex, AM3D etc. not to forget all of Mr. Skanning's creations (Dynaudio, etc..).

Now lets get back to the regular programming. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.