Which Chinese brand speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 43_789827598.jpg
    43_789827598.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 307
I think it was probably a more ethical question. posting the pics may be considered: "inapropriate adult material", heheh...

But more seriously, I'd like to hear more about their performance. I have seen them for sale, and CAV is considered an AV speaker manufacturer.
I heard them briefly in a rather open environment. They didn't blow me away, but that may also be caused by the source (some DVD playing)

I think it was probably a more ethical question. posting the pics may be considered: "inapropriate adult material", heheh...

But more seriously, I'd like to hear more about their performance. I have seen them for sale, and CAV is considered an AV speaker manufacturer.
I heard them briefly in a rather open environment. They didn't blow me away, but that may also be caused by the source (some DVD playing)

A DVD is inapropriate. The source is a very important aspect because they are absolutely unforgiven!

Using perfect vinyl discs or digital 24/96, (and better), files, with fine records, they can be compared to the best speakers, but with unique eye catching shape and very low price.

I have make many comparisons to many expensive speakers. (Not in the same place though).

My last one was a comparison to active ATC 50 of 14.000 € (CAV's price here 2.500 €)! The singer's, (Eleni Tsaligopoulou, "stin agora tou ALHALILI"), difficult "s" was reproduced as an "x" by ATC's and as a real "s" by MD-EX3g's!

There were and other differences of course, ATC's having a little smoother mid's, but as an overall performance and appearance...

And now some adult material:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:)

Last edited:
I don't know if you can get these directly in China, but they (Tang Band, Taiwan) produce some great and some crappy speaker drivers, if you're into building the enclosures and crossovers yourself.

Tangband Speakers

From what I've read, this one:
Tang Band W8-1772 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver

should be easy to get to work without crossovers, although the cabinets you build may not be as good looking as the ones shown on the above posts! Also expensive at $192 each.

Positive impressions: I'm Loving My Tang Band W8-1772 - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

Just a thought in case you want to go DIY speakers, but availability in China I don't know much about. The guys on the PE forum might be able to help you too, although they will try to get you into DIY speakers and not commercial! :p

Last edited:
Some more adult photos:

1)Satelite's upper part:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2)Butterfy wood, black piano, base, with spikes underneath and silentblocks on board. It is 5,5 cm thick, weights 5 kgr, and has the shape of a transversal cut of speaker's body, which simulates a chello. This characteristic reduces resonances.

Last edited:
well, the CAVs have the look, but I am unable to find any good reviews on them in the western society, and since I'm very much aware that in China people tend to go for bling, and superficial beauty first, I'm worried these speakers match that same principle: talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

At least with the ShengYa LS-310 (or Vincent LS-310 as they are sometimes called), I found 2 or 3 German reviews (1 professional review, 2 user reviews) that seem to regard them quite well.

Last edited:
Hi,

well, the CAVs have the look, but I am unable to find any good reviews on them in the western society, and since I'm very much aware that in China people tend to go for bling, and superficial beauty first

The simple solution is, arrange auditions, take your own amp, even source if you can and of your own music and go for the audition. Then you will know if YOU like the results and you will are likely to be happy with the speakers.

I find even professional reviewers are often not good at relating the relative qualities of the gear, that would allow the reader an idea how it would do in their own system, much less casual reviews. So Auditions are an absolute must.

Ciao T

well, the CAVs have the look, but I am unable to find any good reviews on them in the western society, and since I'm very much aware that in China people tend to go for bling, and superficial beauty first, I'm worried these speakers match that same principle: talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

At least with the ShengYa LS-310 (or Vincent LS-310 as they are sometimes called), I found 2 or 3 German reviews (1 professional review, 2 user reviews) that seem to regard them quite well.

Hopping that moderation allows it, here are two reviews from Greek sound magazines:

1)"SOUND AND VISION" magazine:

2)"DIGITAL VISION" magazine:

a)

b)

If you like to translate in English I am ready to do it!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
I'm very much aware that in China people tend to go for bling, and superficial beauty first...

That's a bit of ethnic stereotype, isn't it :eek: Since you have been in China for awhile you ought to know that there are many Chinese audiophiles that would take issue with your generalization.

===

That aside, I don't know what all the fuss is with the CAV, if anyone has paid a visit to their numerous showrooms around the country, one can tell immediately that the company is more geared to selling "furniture" than "stereo", the fact that many of the showrooms are located within giant furniture outlet malls is no coincidence.

Yes, I have demo the CAV speakers, I have listened to various models in the open showroom as well as in the enclosed sound room, no doubt these speakers can play loud and deep just like the other famous brands. Why shouldn't they? But since we are on the DIY Audio forum, I would just say that, at significantly lower cost, it would not be difficult to put together better sounding speakers (in fact that applies to most commercial speakers and not just CAV), albeit without the "imported furniture quality" cabinetry and glossy finish. That is just my personal opinion (but I think shared by many at DIY Audio).

So move on, nothing to see here...

:cool:
Jaz

Interesting... I thought I already replied to this, saying I didn't mean it like that... Hmm..
Well, that's the price you pay for using microsoft I guess, but lets not have that discussion.

Yes, you are right, although I wouldn't call it ethnic stereotyping. It's a cultural thing here and I'm not judging it by any means. However, it is true that in China products tend to talk the talk more than they walk the walk.

As I said, I wasn't blown away by the CAVs when I tried them. I seriously love the looks, but in the end, the ear is what needs to enjoy them. This is why in the end we should audition, right?
Not always possible though.

I made a decision to by the ShengYa LS-310s based on some german reviews (user and magazin), which seemed to be positive, plus I am stuck for size, and unless I lash out significantly more (tenfold more) I don't thing I will find something that matches size, looks and sound quality, as well as suitability for tube amps this well (on paper)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
No worries, let's get the thread back on track.

Jaz

Interesting... I thought I already replied to this, saying I didn't mean it like that... Hmm..
Well, that's the price you pay for using microsoft I guess, but lets not have that discussion.

Yes, you are right, although I wouldn't call it ethnic stereotyping. It's a cultural thing here and I'm not judging it by any means. However, it is true that in China products tend to talk the talk more than they walk the walk.

As I said, I wasn't blown away by the CAVs when I tried them. I seriously love the looks, but in the end, the ear is what needs to enjoy them. This is why in the end we should audition, right?
Not always possible though.

I made a decision to by the ShengYa LS-310s based on some german reviews (user and magazin), which seemed to be positive, plus I am stuck for size, and unless I lash out significantly more (tenfold more) I don't thing I will find something that matches size, looks and sound quality, as well as suitability for tube amps this well (on paper)

right, so I ordered those SY LS-310's. Delivery is in 1 week from today, so I look forward to receiving them! Once I get them in I'll try to write a review on them.
SOmeone wrote a review stating that they are good on solid state high power amps, but much better on low power tube amp. I'd like to ry that out, as it seems a little strange. Although, if the speakers have a very flat impedance curve, then it might just work...

Got the speakers in last week. They are rather huge. Dwarf my CDM 7NTs. Didn't have much time to listen to them due to work. Hopefully that will get better.
As for the sound: Lots and lots of bass! Not booming, you can actually hear details from low frequency instruments, but it's quite dominant. The overall sound is a bit muffled actually. It's possible I have to break them in over a couple of weeks. I hope that's indeed the case, otherwise they'll be out of here quickly.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Got the speakers in last week. They are rather huge. Dwarf my CDM 7NTs. Didn't have much time to listen to them due to work. Hopefully that will get better.
As for the sound: Lots and lots of bass! Not booming, you can actually hear details from low frequency instruments, but it's quite dominant. The overall sound is a bit muffled actually. It's possible I have to break them in over a couple of weeks. I hope that's indeed the case, otherwise they'll be out of here quickly.

They look like B&W knockoffs, would be interested to hear your review after some break-in period.

Jaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.