Which amplifiers do you use with your Scanspeak based speakers?

I have used Scan Speak 18WU/8741T drivers for about a year now. This is likely true of most speaker drivers but in this case, I tried a Manley Stingray integrated that actually produced too much bass through these drivers. I will be trying that same amp with a new set of Mark Audio drivers after they are broken in. The other combination for the SS drivers was with the Iron Pre and a SS class A amp. I liked this sound better, but as mentioned before, too much bass. That very statement is mostly due to the fact that the SS drivers are probably not in the ideal cabinet, hence the change to MA drivers (12PW).

I think that your question is too wide ranging in general, and as always, requires a look at the total system, including listening room. I will say this much though. The SS drivers should have the most revealing equipment driving them, as I found them to have more body than most drivers that I have used.

Reactions: 1 user
I also have Equalizer APO on my PC and can make anything sound like everything.

That's what I used to think too. Till an amplifier builder proved me wrong by bringing 5 different amps into my home. One never left my home and I picked up a second from that group a while later. I do use fir processing too but I won't claim all amps sound the same anymore like I used to claim or believe.
I guess some combinations can work better than others, subjectively. Be it bias, delusions or something else. I'm happier this way :). I found out I like the mosfet driven amps I ended up with.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually I’m very curious which amps each of you are using and why.
I do think diy is the way to go with loudspeakers and a (special) thing we have in common.
It gives a lot of perspective.
I’m not looking for an ultimate answer which amp is the one for scan speaks but rather which one(s) do you like or use.

That's what I used to think too. Till an amplifier builder proved me wrong...
It wasn't a builder for me, but a quick swap of just the HF amp on a 3-way PA system. (Beyma TPL150H HF units). Swapping from an MC2 amp to a cheap digital one introduced a very obvious harshness and graininess, and reduced the apparent separation of different HF sound components. Put more simply, it sounded less real and less open. I had a similar experience swapping from a cheap Japanese hifi amp to a Quad 303 in a domestic system.
I was firmly in the 'all amps sound the same' group until these experiences - particularly the former - but I still maintain that most of the 'magic' of sound reproduction is in the speakers, and that the 'last 5%' could only be achieved at great expense in the electronics.
One thing I am sure about is that it is very difficult to have too much power - massive dynamic headroom never made a system sound worse in my opinion, hence my new PA build having 1.6kW of amps for the Mid/HF compression drivers alone...

Last edited: