• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where to get Vacuum Tube Valley magazine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I've read 3-4 copies of the VTV magazine borrowed from a friend and I simply love it, especially on the tubes review sections. I wanted to get the whole set as collection but too bad I found that VTV is already out of print and nowhere to be seen available. I checked eBay and none as well. :(

If you guys have the source, please let me know. ;) I've been offered photocopies of the magazine by someone local for U$9 a copy that I'm seriously considering if I cannot find the originals.

Vacuum Tube Valley Magazine

Thanks!
Ken

Hi guys,

I've read 3-4 copies of the VTV magazine borrowed from a friend and I simply love it, especially on the tubes review sections. I wanted to get the whole set as collection but too bad I found that VTV is already out of print and nowhere to be seen available. I checked eBay and none as well. :(

If you guys have the source, please let me know. ;) I've been offered photocopies of the magazine by someone local for U$9 a copy that I'm seriously considering if I cannot find the originals.

Thanks!
Ken

Tubedepot.com has the copies of issues 1 thru 20 for sale. Looks like actual magazines - haven't read any, but sounds interesting.

Good hunting! :cool:

~ Sam

argus, that is a fantastic resource. My favourite audio magazine. Nice heavy paper, beautifully drawn schematics, great sketches and pictures and top notch writing. These get treated with kid gloves at my house. Charlie (et al), ya did it right. Now if only Glass Audio was also available as PDFs. Some of my issues are getting rather ratty..

Does anyone know where VTV was based out of? I used to work at a printing company in Austin during the 90's and we printed a small tube audio magazine and I would almost swear it was VTV. I know I have at least a couple issues of whatever it was squirreled away somewhere... I thought the cover was color though.. Hmm. Great link.

VTV

Yes its a real shame that VTV went out of print, it was a great read. The reason it did was because the Editor and Owner of the Magazine Charles Kittleson died 2 or 3 years ago. What is a real pity is that no one had the interest to keep it going. That said I think CK was the main driving force behind it and it was he alone that made it so good. I think The Parts Connexion have some back issues.

Hi guys,

Thanks!
Ken

VTV

They were based in California

Does anyone know where VTV was based out of? I used to work at a printing company in Austin during the 90's and we printed a small tube audio magazine and I would almost swear it was VTV. I know I have at least a couple issues of whatever it was squirreled away somewhere... I thought the cover was color though.. Hmm. Great link.

Now I am curious and must try to find those magazines. Maybe Glass Audio?
Does anyone remember an ad for the "The Best Subwoofer Ever" plans in the 90's from VTV and the like? It was something like V-shaped wooden panels nested inside each other?

Last edited:
Found it! Anyone build one?

Attachments

• lucas_01 (1).jpg
    lucas_01 (1).jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 654
The publisher of "Sound Practices" magazine, Joe Roberts lived in Texas and might still be there. Could that be the one?

BTW, that ad for David Lucas was a scam. One of many that he did. He would sell plans for those projects that never worked as advertised. His last scam was Handwound Transformers. Cheap transformers that performed poorly at best. At worst, you never got your goods. Lots of people got ripped off by this guy over the years.

BTW, that ad for David Lucas was a scam.

BIG TIME.....several of my friends got ripped off in his transformer scam. I am one of the lucky ones. My 845SE amp has been running Handwound OPT's for about 7 years now. They actually work, sound good, even measure reasonably well, and haven't blown up yet with 1100 volts on them.

I also got a pair of 6L6GC push pull OPT's.....they do suck.

Yes its a real shame that VTV went out of print, it was a great read. The reason it did was because the Editor and Owner of the Magazine Charles Kittleson died 2 or 3 years ago. What is a real pity is that no one had the interest to keep it going. That said I think CK was the main driving force behind it and it was he alone that made it so good. I think The Parts Connexion have some back issues.

VTV stopped producing new issues well before (about 5 years) Kittleson committed suicide in 2009. He was a good guy and well-intentioned, but he also kept taking new subscriptions years after issue 20 came out. I think he intended to start publishing again, but was never able to. VTV and Sound Practices were my favorite reads of that period. Both were quarterly publications but were chronically late, and I used to read them over and over waiting for the next issues to come. Even with all the information available online these days, I still miss them.

Charlie Kittleson

Him committing suicide is news to me ! do you know this for a fact ? Whilst I am not saying that you are wrong it is nonetheless a surprise. The official report of his death states....February 27, 2009 - The KPFZ community just began to learn of Charlie's passing yesterday, February 26, yet he died over three weeks ago. Cause of death remains something his family chooses not to discuss.

VTV stopped producing new issues well before (about 5 years) Kittleson committed suicide in 2009. He was a good guy and well-intentioned, but he also kept taking new subscriptions years after issue 20 came out. I think he intended to start publishing again, but was never able to. VTV and Sound Practices were my favorite reads of that period. Both were quarterly publications but were chronically late, and I used to read them over and over waiting for the next issues to come. Even with all the information available online these days, I still miss them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.