Where buy Bailey's Longhair wool ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
see photo

Attachments

• bailey-s-longhair-wol-strengen-per-100g.jpg
    bailey-s-longhair-wol-strengen-per-100g.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 315
Bailey's long hair wool appears to have obtained mythical signifiance, particularly in Europe, for no good reason. It has no significant advantage over rather more commonly available materials; Monacor's MDM3, fiberglass, ultratouch insulation, acoustastuff, BAF wadding or similar all do a perfectly good job. There are minor differences in the damping behaviour of all materials of course, and more or less subtly different quantities are required (see Augspurger's AES paper 'Loudspeakers on Damped Pipes' for some examples), which isn't a big deal.

That's what I heard.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

If you are determined to get wool as a stuffing material, may I suggest Marino wool. That's not a brand name, but instead, a type of wool that is the finest denier (i.e. diameter) and most expensive wool. Merino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It looks like they carry it at the site linked in post #2.

Mine and other stuffing studies have shown finer fibers yield lower Fc and flatter impedance plots in closed box systems.

Last edited:
You could get better if you look beyond sheep.
Merino is 21-25microns, vicuña 12.8 microns thick. A bit pricey though.

And no Iam not determined to use wool, it just worked out the cheapest.

read more about it. Vicuña - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks to me like finding raw Vicuna wool is near impossible considering it's low production rate and use in much more profitable high end clothing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.