What's on your workbench???

Thank you all for the compliments. I have read a lot about the legendary Tek scopes and finally I got one to use and take care of. They are remarkable designs, not only tools but also an inspiration to tech greats such as the late Jim Williams and others. Way to go Tek!

Happy New Year everybody! :)

Last edited:
I need to replace flush-cutting diagonals -- both pairs of Excelite are close to useless. Ideas welcome.

I'll second the CHP-170 recommendation, and add the Knipex 78 71 125 ESD. KNIPEX 78 71 125 ESD Electronic Super-Knips Comfort Grip - Wire Cutters - Amazon.com

I've had a pair of each side by side on my bench for probably 15 years, and they've both held up well. The Knipex has a nice lead-catcher, which holds onto the clipped lead, preventing it from going flying.

Diaganol cutters Erem and Knipex get my vote. I have been buying cheapies at $60 a dozen for my guys who seem to lose them.

Amusing that few here have ever seen a patch cord holder. Ponoma were the first ones I saw. Middle Atlantic makes a copy I seem to recall. Making your own is possible with a milling machine, although I use a turret press

Diaganol cutters Erem and Knipex get my vote. I have been buying cheapies at $60 a dozen for my guys who seem to lose them.

Parenthetical: We had the investor relations guy from SNAP-On Tools in for a lunch (many decades ago). At that time about 30% of their sales were owing to "lost" or "stolen" tools! In the 1970's all the US auto manufacturers were complexifying the service requirements necessitating specialized hand-tools, so this was also a boon to SNAP.

Thanks for the recommendations!

both pairs of Excelite are close to useless. Ideas welcome.

My 30 year old Excelite cutters have become useless due to 30 years of use. Everything I have bought since then has pretty much sucked until I got these:

Micro Cutter: Side Cutting Pliers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific .......I'll second the CHP-170 recommendation

I'll third it.

My daughter gets me one or two of these as stocking stuffers every year for Christmas. This year's set and last year's have not been opened yet. Why?

I think I have about 5 or 6 of these now and I still haven't destroyed the first pair yet.

I have one set dedicated to cutting pills. They work far better than drug store pill cutters (crushers). Another set is for self surgery, removing small skin cancers before they become big ones!

The others for their intended purpose.....building stuff with wire and parts!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The nice thing about the Linstrom cutters is that for $5 or so Snap On (who distributes them) will recondition them with new handles. Makes the beat up ones on eBay useful. The turn around is about a month.

I have some ETM carbide flush cutters that must be 30 years old (Lockheed surplus) that are still the best I have ever found. ETM dropped that business and switched to dental tools only. There are shops that can replace the damaged carbides for a not unreasonable fee.

Been using Linstrom for years, have a pair of 8161 (Swiss made) side cutters that are probably 15 years old. Sadly due to globalisation Snap-On took them over incorporated them into the Bahco brand and moved the manufacturing to Italy.

Most of my precision tools (Cutters and Tweezers) are Swiss made.

Too expensive for the hobbyist but for technical people quality tools are indispensable.

Occasionally RS Components or Element14 will have Linstrom on sale.

The first place I worked at as a trainee tech had these big xcelite briefcase toolboxes, that would emit an overpowering stench of vomit every time you opened them. I learned it’s due to the plastic they use - something or other butyrate. I’ve actually avoided their tools ever since due to this.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have long wondered where that stink came from in the Xcelite kits. Particularly the nutdriver kits, even 30 years later.

Still, I have not found a good alternative to the small green handled Xcelite screwdrivers for some adjustments. They have not changed in many years except to get expensive.

I think that #1 son may have used a set of the Excelite on some aircraft wire.

@George -- my dermatologist only takes cash and you can always get an appointment -- always a bunch of old Irish guys (golfers I suppose) in the office getting various nasty bits removed.

I have some Bacho side cutters with "Piano Wire" written on. I used to lend it to my son, when he was young.:D