What's happened to the sa-36a pro - not tpa3118?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mchl that's good news that the reseller made it right, hopefully others out there will get their listings updated.

irribeo seems to make a good case that is might be an improvement overall, switching to 7492p on this unit. But people, especially on this forum, have their preferences on the amp chip, so resellers will have less trouble if they keep their listings current.

maybe this would work too: 1 wet + 2 solids? or are 2 wets + 1 solid better.

Attachments

• sa-36apro-with2cap.jpg
    sa-36apro-with2cap.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 366
I need to order some more OSCONs to put in mine. I think that's about the only upgrade the original 3116 based 36A-Pro needs?
If you are bothered by the pop you can use doctormords suggested fix. If you bothered by the gain/noise/volumecontroll you can lower gain if not an option change the pot and or add a buffer, if you are bothered by the possible damage powering up without speakers can cause, don't power up without speakers is an easy sollution :)

In other words for you the Oscons might be all that is needed:)

I would order the FPCAP NU *Nichicon variety of Oscon, but abraxalito might be able to judge if FPCAP NS could even be better, tan delta is halved for NS compared to NU and other Osconlike for most values I looked at, I have no idea if this has any influence, it might, leakage is much lower too, might not be relevant here either.

*Nichicons by acquisition, Nichicons own design solid/polymer electrolytics also exist.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
f you are bothered by the pop you can use doctormords suggested fix. If you bothered by the gain/noise/volumecontroll you can lower gain if not an option change the pot and or add a buffer, if you are bothered by the possible damage powering up without speakers can cause, don't power up without speakers is an easy sollution

I am not bothered by anything here other than finding out empty holes where some caps should be. I don't have a pop problem at all.

I'm looking for a cheap amp to drive my SB26ADC tweeter in an active 4-way. There is a SMSL SA 36A listed at the german amazon:

SMSL SA-36A(PRO) 2 * 20W TPA3118D2DAP Tripath Klasse T Amp Stereo-Digital-Verstrker + Netzteil (Silber): Amazon.de: Elektronik

Are these still worth buying?

Seeing as there will be no caps between amp and tweet it would need DC protection and no startup plop. Also value wise these compete with ~15 to 20 year old 60 to 80 watt mid-fi amps you can easily find 2ndhand for around 50-75€.

I have the latest SMSL SA-36A Pro, and there is zero on/off pop. Just last night I got my hands on an Astron RS-12M power supply, and the difference is night and day. I have it vonnected to a Technics SL-1200mk2 turntable with an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge and Micca MB42x speakers. The audio suddenly has depth and feels voluminous. High hats in Stairway to Heaven are crisp and clean, and the audio stage is wide and enveloping. This simple upgrade is like getting a whole new stereo system.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I have the latest SMSL SA-36A Pro...
Please confirm which chipset your SMSL SA-36A Pro is using - units shipped in early Dec 2015 were still TI tpa3118 amps, but the units shipping now, from just about everywhere (unless they have old stock) are shipping with ST tda7492p amp.

The ST version doesn't seem to have pop issues (mine doesn't) but doesn't have as robust dc power filtering, but probably because it doesn't need it. Others can answer that better then I can. :spin:

Please confirm which chipset your SMSL SA-36A Pro is using - units shipped in early Dec 2015 were still TI tpa3118 amps, but the units shipping now, from just about everywhere (unless they have old stock) are shipping with ST tda7492p amp.

The ST version doesn't seem to have pop issues (mine doesn't) but doesn't have as robust dc power filtering, but probably because it doesn't need it. Others can answer that better then I can. :spin:
Mine has the TDA7492PE chip.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm looking for a cheap amp to drive my SB26ADC tweeter in an active 4-way. There is a SMSL SA 36A listed at the german amazon:

SMSL SA-36A(PRO) 2 * 20W TPA3118D2DAP Tripath Klasse T Amp Stereo-Digital-Verstrker + Netzteil (Silber): Amazon.de: Elektronik

Are these still worth buying?

Seeing as there will be no caps between amp and tweet it would need DC protection and no startup plop. Also value wise these compete with ~15 to 20 year old 60 to 80 watt mid-fi amps you can easily find 2ndhand for around 50-75€.

For a tweeter with limited (10w) requirement and no pop, the Sanwu TDA8932 PBTL monoblock may be your answer. No on off pop and is exceedingly neutral and non fatiguing sounding.

Use the Sanwu 3118 PBTL for the mids.

Use the IRS2092 and circa 200w for the bass.

I am thinking of doing something line this for my next 3 or 4 way active setup with minidsp.

Consider the purpose: tweeter amp. 3118 pro has " very large value "coupling film capacitors to have highpass inputfilter at 1 or 3Hz, these cause the pop. Put small value film there and there is no pop. So it needs another inputcapacitor and most likely standard 36dB gain isn't quiet enough.

FYI....Parts Express has started the SMSL SA-Pro36A now and advertising the fact that it uses the TPA3118D2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.