what's best enclosure design for Coral Beta 8 Speaker ? which horn ? Schematic ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got this speaker and trying to decide what enclosure design to build.
confuse... I need software fro horn design, but which one ?

any reccomendation for start ?
how to ?
best design... well famous or people most talk about particular design ?

help need pls for amateur like me.

regards
cal

Generally, you should design a cabinet for your driver, don't try looking around for one and then try to fit the Coral into it.

Of course, that's where we kit a bit of a problem. Because to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a complete set of T/S parameters available for the Coral Beta 8 anywhere on the web. So unless you have the facility to measure them yourself, or can get them measured, we're in the realms of guesswork. Software won't be of any use to you either until you can get them. When you do: Martin King's MathCad worksheets are streets ahead of most other software for the DIYer, plus he has huge white papers and articles on his site: www.quarter-wave.com

Thanks guys for the schematic,
I think I need the best, I need better than the standard Coral Horn Enclosore, I saw many bigger design claim to be better than the standard horn enclosure.

but of course that's not for coral beta 8.
can anyone tell me how to get that bigger horn enclosure for beta 8 ?

well at least how they calculate for certain FR speaker, and I can use my parameter for my beta8.

I wonder if anyone can tell me which one is the best horn enclosure ever built, of course this is relative questions.
no such thing is the ebst..... but you think it's the best.... you know what I man. :)

I got to build this for best enclosure.

cal

No such thing I'm afraid. A cabinet is designed for a driver, so what works for one drive-unit doesn't automatically work for another. We're talking Beta 8, right?

You say you want the 'best'? OK, it's possible to either custom design a cabinet, or identify an existing one that will work very well, but you'd need to get your drivers' T/S parameters measured first, or its just a crapshoot. If you don't want to get the drivers measured, and go for a shot in the (relative) dark, then remember bigger is better with horns. GM taught me that. You can always damp it down if it's too much, whereas you can't boost what you don't have in the first place. In which case, a few ideas. Remember, I'm not suggesting these are optimal, just that they'll have a chance of working. No point in going for an optimised design like Ron's Dallas II as you're not using the driver it was optimised for. So, cabinets that might be interesting, and forgiving enough:

1) A ~ 0.6 scaled Tannoy GRF Autograph cabinet.

2) Bruce V1.1 double BVR horn. See toward the end of the Spawn of Frugelhorn thread here.

3) A Nagaoka D-58.

4) If you want to go crackers, double the D-58 by mirroring a second cabinet above it. Hold filter chamber volume as for a single horn, or increase by 10%, reduce the area of each throat by 25% and you're in business. I shudder to think of the weight of this monster though.

thanks for the best info I got so far. :)

I will do the T/S Parameters measure tomorrow, as soon as I got a "nickel" for the weight to test.....
after that then what ?

I saw the Frugelhorn looks good, but I think my coral beta 8 will be twice as that big at least , I love big bad speaker..

I'm reading the thread ... gez so long....

which one do you think is the best for my coral beta 8 those 4 choices you give me ?

haven't seen the rest though... but I like BIB.

btw. just a crazy question, do you think this speaker is possible to put into car ? on the dasboard ?
I saw the original sealerd box which is small, well not small enough, I wonder if there is any "way" to treat/trick the box that can be small ?

just a crazy idea.

I think I need someone to guide me how to learn to build horn/this project.

I just don't have any clue....

regards
cal

No idea about the car side of things. Possibly. Bit of a waste though.

A BIB did occur to me, but without the parameters, we have to go generic, and huge. They'll probably work well, but it's not 100% until we have some accurate electrical measurements (Qe, Qm, Bl, Vas, Re are the ones we need).

It's the Spawn of Frugelhorn thread I was thinking of: a series of double horns of which Bruce V1.1 is the largest version. Should match the driver well enough. Currently, of the cabinets I mentioned above, that's the one I'd probably go for. Looks good too. A doubled Nagaoka D-58 would probably be an awe-inspiring system, but would be very large indeed, and cripplingly heavy: unless you've got concrete floors I could see it going straight through it!

thanks again,
I will get the parameters soon, my friend left me the measurement, all I need is find the coin/nickel for wieght measurement tool.

looks like the Frugel horn is your best suggestion here that match to my Coreal Beta 8.
I couldn' tfind the Brice 1.1.

If I got the parameters of my beta 8 then How can I design/adjust the Frigel Horn to match my beta 8 parameter ?

I couldn;t find the plan also.

regards
cal

calico88 said:
BTW what do you think about this lhttp://www.speaker-online.de/bauen/naumann/

it's a legent on the 70's ? boy I was 5 years old back then.

any good ?

cal

I've used the Schmacks horn with the Coral Beta 8 back in the late 70's. It is an incredible combination. It suffers some coloration like all horns, but the ones I had were made out of chip board. There is a lot of improvements possible with the original plans when it comes to bracing. Mine were made from the original plans with no additional bracing.

It plays classical music very well and rock music amazing. Bass is rock solid. Kick drums have an incredible punch. The only thing missing is the lowest octave.

Original and improved plans here:
http://www.lup-berlin.de/archiv/Bausatz/index.html

If you have the space, build them and be happy :D

/Peter

calico88 said:
I downloaded the file H 530/ Schmacks Horn Schmacks Horn mit PSL225ALU;

I coudnlt find the new design or this is the new design ?

are you saying this dimention will fit my coral beta 8 ? no change what soever ?

cal

If you take a look at the last file in the archive, schmacks2.jpg, (ought to be a GIF since drawings compress better as GIF, photos compress better as JPG) youll see that there has been som "roundings" added to the path of the horn.

Yes, it will fit. Just take care of the dimension of the baffle hole for the speaker. The speaker is mounted from the outside. Use quite a bit of stuffing in the chamber behind the element for a start.

/Peter

thanks peter,
I will draw with solidworks to check if the speaker will fit perfectly before cutting the wood.

22mm MDF is what I will use.

this is small a box ? I wonder if this is better than BIB ?

I was hoping 2Meter tall of box. :)

If you sure this is "best" for me ... I'll do this.

regards
cal

calico88 said:
thanks peter,
I will draw with solidworks to check if the speaker will fit perfectly before cutting the wood.

22mm MDF is what I will use.

this is small a box ? I wonder if this is better than BIB ?

I was hoping 2Meter tall of box. :)

If you sure this is "best" for me ... I'll do this.

regards
cal

Well... recommendations is a risky business. :rolleyes: Your milage may vary! I can't of course promise that you will like them. But I can promise you that I'd love to make a pair again. If my Nagaoka D-58s with FE206E that I'm building now don't work out well, I'll might build a pair of Schmacks horns.

/Peter

I have not done the T/S yet, would you guys help me out soon as I got my beta 8 T/S ?

the Bruce 1.1 looks better than Schmacks Horn, well I like bigger, for me bigger box has better sound. (amateur tought like me)

tell me guys, if these 2 speakers are really fit with my beta 8?

do I need to adjust ? which one ?

I will post my T/S soon as I can. may be I have to skip office work.

appriciate your help but I need more :) with T/S and box adjustment base on it

cal

We can tell you when we've got the parameters. The Schmacks is supposed to work already. Bruce should work, as one of my design goals for it was to create a cabinet which would work with as wide a range of drive-units as possible. Only high Q, high Vas drivers (for example the Visaton B200) won't go in, and as the Beta 8 was designed for horn loading, it should not suffer from this problem.

calico88 said:
this is the parameter that close to beta 8, I took it from diyparadise.com

this T/S is originally from Coral Flat 8A, should be about the same, what yeo said.

As I remeber (it was almost 30 years ago) the Flat 8 is different compared to the Beta 8. Smaller magnet. I wouldn't bet on the Flat-8 specs for use as Beta-8 design parameters.

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.