What would you want to see in a book on electronics for vinyl replay? Douglas Self.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doug,

I got your 'Electronics for Vinyl' as a gift for Christmas. I have found your book a welcome and worthy addition to my library.

I've already read most of it page for page. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

You're more than welcome. If you think anything is amiss or an important topic is missing, do let me know. I am always collecting ideas for next editions.

This has to be the silliest post on this thread. Vinyl, like the horse pulled carriage, is indeed obsolete, notwithstanding the so called revival. That does not detract from the quality of this book

Some say CD is the same. Much 18th century music is played in the obsolete form and avoids metal flutes. Wood flutes need constant adjustment so not every musicians cup of tea for earning a living. Orchestras grew in size to give louder sound. As a result a conductor was needed to make the tempo work with the building. When I started recording the BBC said where only two microphones can be used above the conductors head works well except for the swearing. Already what is easier gets involved. Obsolete and unworthy are not the same. Previn was talking of Furtwangler. Approximately. Furtwangler would have had no concept of original music on period instruments. If asked and told " That's how Beethoven would have heard it" Mr F would have said " Ah yes, but he would preferred it the my way " Slightly weird as the piece discussed was when Beethoven was deaf. All the same I liked that. Previn wouldn't argue he said. Previn was as far as I know self taught. His version of the Planets is a wonderful thing. Karajan's a bit odd. Bolt a little bit thin, said to be the composers preference.

Sometimes a CD of a piece is not available. For all the World a damaged LP beats any CD if the CD music is not as good, it's like a tribute band. Whilst imperfect I love this definitive version below. It's not just LP, it is the whole culture of music we hear. He was our local composer.. Forgive YouTube adverts.
YouTube

Obsolete and unworthy are not the same.

+1.

And with most Pop music the CD or digitally-distributed versions will have the snot compressed out of them with hyper-compression and saturation to the point that they are unlistenable. The LP cannot be cut with that excess HF energy. Often, if its bad enough, the ME will get a clean copy that we will never hear unless its on the LP.

I need to order Doug's book and see if he addressed balanced cartridge interfaces. He poo-pooed it here when we brought it up.

When recording the local orchestra I said to them how much I like acoustic recordings. One of them said approximately " That's easy, they had never heard recorded sound and were not playing in an accepted style ". As recordings improved some loss of originallity came about. I had said before that their Ravel was far better than their Beethoven. Again " Ravel we play from sheet music and Beethoven we learn from CD ". If you ever hear Beethoven correctly it is like wine you might never be able to buy. I more likely heard that on LP or 78's. Muti No 7 is not bad. It's not stero, it's flower beds of colours which are highly 3D, Disney got some of it.

One could say photography replaced painting. Not completely. Please don't infer a LP is a painting. Of the few I heard cut they were very like the master, we had a CD reference also which I liked less. Like the musicians should be at home with Lemsip.

One thing a good phono stage does it makes the surface noise seem easier to live with. It's still there. For some reason it is less in your face. Strangely Hafler 4 ch works for that whilst digital version doesn't. It's got to be good to start with to hear it work. 4 x LS3/5A come to mind. The collectors now can justify their many pairs.

Forgive typos.

Douglas Self, I rely on your wonderfully written and helpful "Small Signal Audio Design" book. I'd like to know more about using rail splitters for single to bipolar power supplies, what current to expect them to handle (the sum of individual IC biases?), and if too much can multiple 2426 chips be distributed around a multi-IC design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.