What Would YOU Do With This Cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, Beautiful !!!

I know Zilch would be real happy with how this all turned out . Great, great work Wilberforce .

Nice Project !!!

<. cheers, EarlK

ps;

A high efficiency setup like this ( @ 99-100db ) would have represented somewhat of a test case for the EWaves' HF compensation network .

- ( To see if the driver had sufficient HF content to still allow for linear response in the horn circuit after padding the midrange ) .

- It's doubtful that older Legacy drivers ( like Altec or JBL ) on a true Constant Directivity Horn could be properly ( HF ) compensated ( & not lose too much efficiency ) .

- No wonder Zilch was so interested in "Priming The Pump" on this one ( so to speak ) .

- He always did like a challenge . RIP

Sorry for the ramble, :eek: :p

Wow, Beautiful !!!

I know Zilch would be real happy with how this all turned out . Great, great work Wilberforce .

Nice Project !!!

ps;

A high efficiency setup like this ( @ 99-100db ) would have represented somewhat of a test case for the EWaves' HF compensation network .

- ( To see if the driver had sufficient HF content to still allow for linear response in the horn circuit after padding the midrange ) .

- It's doubtful that older Legacy drivers ( like Altec or JBL ) on a true Constant Directivity Horn could be properly ( HF ) compensated ( & not lose too much efficiency ) .

- No wonder Zilch was so interested in "Priming The Pump" on this one ( so to speak ) .

- He always did like a challenge . RIP

Sorry for the ramble, :eek: :p

I just wish I could add some data rather than my subjective 'wank.' After we finished up the first one, I was tempted to drive it up to Zilchlab so he could measure it. Obviously, that didn't happen, but my only measurement system, my ears, are very, very pleased with these speakers, and that's enough for me. :yes:

I got a request by PM to post the cabinetmaker's improved version of the 1952 Jensen plans. Here they are:

cab01.gif

cab02.gif

cab03.gif

cab04.gif

cab05.gif

Note: The original design and these sketches don't have the overlay on the top and bottom that my old cabinet had. I asked Bob (the cabinetmaker) to add these after he had made these sketches. I like the look; makes it more finished looking, like a mantelpiece or something. So if you want that, just add 1/2" or however long you want the overhang to be on the front and sides of the top and bottom pieces. This is what it looks like.

P1010386Medium.jpg

Also not in the sketches is the false bottom. It's basically in the shape of the cabinet, but not closed at the back. It's 1 1/2" high and recessed 4" back from the front. I think it helps the bass from getting too muddy.

Second request was for the final crossover components that were fine-tuned by Zilch:

Dayton DNR-16 16 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part Number: 004-16

Dayton DNR-30 30 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part Number: 004-30

Dayton Audio DMPC-4.7 4.7uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-422

Dayton Audio DMPC-12 12uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-430

Jantzen 3.9uF 400V Crosscap Capacitor
Part Number: 027-922

Jantzen 0.60mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor
Part Number: 255-234

1.5mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor
Part Number: 266-552

L-Pad 50W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm
Part Number: 260-255

Any other questions, let me know. I'm loving these speakers.

I got a request by PM to post the cabinetmaker's improved version of the 1952 Jensen plans. Here they are:

Note: The original design and these sketches don't have the overlay on the top and bottom that my old cabinet had. I asked Bob (the cabinetmaker) to add these after he had made these sketches. I like the look; makes it more finished looking, like a mantelpiece or something. So if you want that, just add 1/2" or however long you want the overhang to be on the front and sides of the top and bottom pieces. This is what it looks like.

Also not in the sketches is the false bottom. It's basically in the shape of the cabinet, but not closed at the back. It's 1 1/2" high and recessed 4" back from the front. I think it helps the bass from getting too muddy.

i have a pair of JBL E-145 15" drivers. they are the LE15 predecessors. wonder how these might work in the cabs?

.... and to think, you were only going to have the one box.
Yes, Zilch would be proud...

I like to think so. He was a great help.

And yes, it was going to be the 50's mid-fi mono rig. But it just sounded too good to stay mono. BUT! I still have the original black beast that I found on craigslist, and I'm hunting around for a vintage coaxial driver to stick in the original baffle. Then, I'll have the mono rig that I was originally going to have.

I've been looking at the University 315C, as Altec 604 and Jensen G610 are going for way more than I want to spend. Anyone have any thoughts on the Universitys? I tried an Electro-Voice 15TRXB, but wasn't very impressed with it.

P1010386Medium.jpg

by overlay do you mean "over hang", in that the top and bottom extrude beyond the front and sides of the vertical parts of the cabinets?

can you provide a photo of the "false bottom"?

thanks.

Greetings, parts express are out of the 1.5mH 18awg I core inductor. Will an air core inductor of the same value and awg do, such as part no. 260-255? Sorry for the remedial questions but I was up the back of the class with Wilbour scratching my name into the desk. Also where do people get thier qsc cd horns and what actual model is it. Will the JBL one be the same? I was considering using the B&C de-250 as most people seem to theink that its much smoother than the selenium220ti. I wonder how it compares to the selenium 2500. Unfortunately PE has run out of the de250's so I have to wait anyway. cheers fergs

Last edited:
Greetings, parts express are out of the 1.5mH 18awg I core inductor. Will an air core inductor of the same value and awg do, such as part no. 260-255? Sorry for the remedial questions but I was up the back of the class with Wilbour scratching my name into the desk. Also where do people get thier qsc cd horns and what actual model is it. Will the JBL one be the same? I was considering using the B&C de-250 as most people seem to theink that its much smoother than the selenium220ti. I wonder how it compares to the selenium 2500. Unfortunately PE has run out of the de250's so I have to wait anyway. cheers fergs

The QSC waveguides are scarce now. I'd suggest searching or asking your questions on Zilch's Econowave thread here:

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.