What transformer is this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I have a TDK 2.1 speaker system that I use for my PC and it died. I took it apart and found out that the thermal fuse on the transformer blew out.

I am having trouble figuring out the ratings of this transformer. I tested the amp with a small 12-0-12 transformer I have and it works so I think its somewhere in this range.

Attachments

• DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 183
Hey guys,

I have a TDK 2.1 speaker system that I use for my PC and it died. I took it apart and found out that the thermal fuse on the transformer blew out.

I am having trouble figuring out the ratings of this transformer. I tested the amp with a small 12-0-12 transformer I have and it works so I think its somewhere in this range.

roughly 20VA for that size....if you bypassed the thermal fuse, you should install a 0.4 amp fuse instead to be able to use that traffo...

make sure that nothing is overheating before you put it back in service...

Okay I'm gonna bump this thread.
---------------------

I have a couple of UPS with dead batteries so I took the step up transformer. I dont have a multimeter so I am gonna need some help guesstimating the specs.

What I do know is that the secondary side is 220V or 240V. I need a guess on the primary side voltage ratings and the VA of the traffos. I am gonna use these as a step down traffo for my projects.

I will just link a couple of ImageShack album because I did not resize the pics.

First one is from a Sunstar brand 625VA UPS. I dont know if the rating is accurate but I assume its lower since its China made. I had this back in 2003.
ImageShack Album - 8 images

This one is from an APC Back-UPS ES 500VA. The rating should be accurate since APC is a top notch company. The battery had failed and its casing has cracked.
ImageShack Album - 2 images

be careful, i once harvested the traffos from a Tripplet UPS with dead batteries, it turns out that the 220 volt windings are auto-transformer connected to the 12volt winding...

so check that the high voltage winding are truly isolated from the low voltage winding..

500VA/625VA are optimistic since these UPS's are often used intermittently(short working time), i'd reckon that less than half of that for continuous duty is available to you...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.