What transformer is this?

zeebit

2013-04-20 4:34 am
Hey guys,

I have a TDK 2.1 speaker system that I use for my PC and it died. I took it apart and found out that the thermal fuse on the transformer blew out.

I am having trouble figuring out the ratings of this transformer. I tested the amp with a small 12-0-12 transformer I have and it works so I think its somewhere in this range.

Attachments

• DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 174
Hey guys,

I have a TDK 2.1 speaker system that I use for my PC and it died. I took it apart and found out that the thermal fuse on the transformer blew out.

I am having trouble figuring out the ratings of this transformer. I tested the amp with a small 12-0-12 transformer I have and it works so I think its somewhere in this range.

roughly 20VA for that size....if you bypassed the thermal fuse, you should install a 0.4 amp fuse instead to be able to use that traffo...

make sure that nothing is overheating before you put it back in service...

zeebit

2013-04-20 4:34 am
Okay I'm gonna bump this thread.
---------------------

I have a couple of UPS with dead batteries so I took the step up transformer. I dont have a multimeter so I am gonna need some help guesstimating the specs.

What I do know is that the secondary side is 220V or 240V. I need a guess on the primary side voltage ratings and the VA of the traffos. I am gonna use these as a step down traffo for my projects.

I will just link a couple of ImageShack album because I did not resize the pics.

First one is from a Sunstar brand 625VA UPS. I dont know if the rating is accurate but I assume its lower since its China made. I had this back in 2003.
ImageShack Album - 8 images

This one is from an APC Back-UPS ES 500VA. The rating should be accurate since APC is a top notch company. The battery had failed and its casing has cracked.
ImageShack Album - 2 images

be careful, i once harvested the traffos from a Tripplet UPS with dead batteries, it turns out that the 220 volt windings are auto-transformer connected to the 12volt winding...

so check that the high voltage winding are truly isolated from the low voltage winding..

500VA/625VA are optimistic since these UPS's are often used intermittently(short working time), i'd reckon that less than half of that for continuous duty is available to you...