What to do with a JBL Le8T ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's all in the title,

What can I do with my JBL Le8T, vented boxes, closed, TQWT ....
I have the passive radiators but i don't want to use them in the first time.

Does anybody have its specs ? There's some on lansing heritage website but there are not enough specs

Thanks to all

Build RCA-fan's backloaded horn cabinet, sounded insane with the LE-8TH in it. With 25w and corner-located it would pound me all the way to the other end of the house. Do you have two of them? Stereo, my gawd.
RCA-fan's gallery has the plans and some photos....
http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?UserImages=21168

Attachments

• rca-fan.gif
    rca-fan.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 711
The main thing is to listen to it...

The Le-8 has one of the best midranges in a cone speaker... I think it is the extension of the JBL D-208 in heritage...

It likes to have a big front baffle, btw... for flattest lower mid response.

Personally, I'd not try to use them for low bass, nor take them too high... but I would use them for a "3-way" system based on a very wide range "mid" taking it down to ~50-60Hz. and go up to 3-5kHz., supporting that on either end with a good sub and a high quality high efficiency tweeter on top....

_-_-bear

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I agree with bear. The LE-8T's I had were not up to todays standards for bass so you need a woofer. I had mine crossed over a little higher (8k I think) because the aluminum dust cap seemed to carry a lot of the highs and I didn't have a problem with beaming. All in all a very nice driver.

The surrounds went and I couldn't find a proper replacement and a recone up here in Canada was approximately $350.00 per driver. So I sent them south and haven't heard from the guy since. (Stephen Jove)

Cal

I'll pile on agreement with the assisted-widerange concept. The best results with this type of driver seem to come between about 80Hz and 8kHz. 99% of criticisms arise from trying to exceed that envelope. Within their limits, they're extremely nice.

I've got a pair of OBs with 20" bass drivers on the bottom and RS pod tweeters on the top. I've tried all sorts of widebands between (see pic below). Currently enjoying a pair of Stephens FR80's--very similar to LE-8T's.

Attachments

• ob1sm.jpg
    ob1sm.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,058
Bill F. said:
I've got a pair of OBs with 20" bass drivers on the bottom and RS pod tweeters on the top. I've tried all sorts of widebands between (see pic below). Currently enjoying a pair of Stephens FR80's--very similar to LE-8T's.
Wow, cool setup!

I want to know more about the 20" woofers. It looks like there's an actual enclosure behind them? Sealed? Also, I assume you are bi-amping them with that amp that's sitting on the arm of the couch?

Hi,

The woofers are from steelsound.com. They're real sleepers—alotta sound for not alotta money. They're run OB and have solid performance down to ~30Hz. The sides you see are just ears projecting back to improve low response a bit and support the rest of the baffle.

I was running them off the amps you see (Parts Express cheapos with a useful 6dB 30Hz bass boost and variable lowpass crossover) with very good results. I'm now experimenting with triamping via a DCX2496 and two Panasonic XR25's, but I may return to the old setup for simplicity's sake.

I find them very satisfying.

They're the simple product of the best bit of audio philosophy I've every heard: worship the midrange.

When you've got a nice, dynamic wideband covering the entire vocal range plus the first harmonic, comfortably nestled between a solid, room-friendly bass module crossed over quite low and a smooth supertweeter crossed over quite high, it's hard to go wrong. :angel:

So that's my advice for the LE-8T's...

Reactions: 1 user
Bill F. said:
I find them very satisfying.

They're the simple product of the best bit of audio philosophy I've every heard: worship the midrange.

When you've got a nice, dynamic wideband covering the entire vocal range plus the first harmonic, comfortably nestled between a solid, room-friendly bass module crossed over quite low and a smooth supertweeter crossed over quite high, it's hard to go wrong. :angel:

So that's my advice for the LE-8T's...
Good advice for any fullrange driver, IMHO.

Dave :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.