What is the worst malady of a loudspeaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that the notion that frequency response should be flat may be correct at the macro level. But in reality stereo system consists of errors that that needs some compensation eg to get a neutral phantom centre. I don’t think Toole speaks of this in terms of fidelity although he refers to those studies.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
To ICG ( and anyone who might think with malice )
Here is a truck full of...

I've seen extremely good drivers with very, very low distortion. Not even manufacturers claim their speakers are distortion free. But since you are the only enlightened person in the whole world who knows it all, please, grace us with just a fraction of your immense wisdom and knowledge and name just ONE driver without distortion.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
It seems like most responses don't like the OP's question so are offering up other advice, answering a different question of their own liking, or asking questions instead of answering.

I haven't finished my first design so don't know the answer, but a reasonable answer to the OPs question would be:
Highly uneven response in the 2Khz to 5khz range;
or
Drivers significantly out of phase at the crossover point.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've seen extremely good drivers with very, very low distortion. Not even manufacturers claim their speakers are distortion free. But since you are the only enlightened person in the whole world who knows it all, please, grace us with just a fraction of your immense wisdom and knowledge and name just ONE driver without distortion.
Yes, this is on topic. Don't you have a question on distortion from just a few days back that you should go and answer?

Support kit?
(particularily the amp, since amp. speaker, connection should always be considered a system)
Wrong:eek: - System starts ( or ends) from the pick up...errr...(as many among here are digital or HD) from bitstream- the source

Who is the target listener?
ME :rolleyes: ( as dIy is for yourself ;) )
What compromises do they find the least tolerable? The least objectionable?
Distortion! What else?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Don't you have a question on distortion from just a few days back that you should go and answer?

1. I'm not obliged to answer all and every posts.
  2. I'm not spending constantly the same ammount of time in the forum. I've had phases in which I write a lot and then there are times I am hardly on here or reading the forum at all.
  3. I try to answer all questions I'm asked. If you want me to answer to a certain post, PM/reply me but please provide information and a link to the thread/post.
  4. If someone else already answered a question directed to me, I don't find it often useful to just repeat the same.
  5. Don't you want to elaborate your answer on how you rise the spl of a passive speaker by changing the crossover in this thread since you're still claiming it's possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.