What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We never see god. Never met him. We don't know where him live. We don't know how many of them are there. Only traces of him or they be. Witnesses who claim seen him or her or. Yet 99%of human population worship him admire him want to be like him. Randomly choosen photos and looks depict him across the globe randomly. He is not observed and is very random. And people have books and books on him being a being. I don't know who is correct but it's an information to me.

Is randomness not an information? ... you saying information doesn't have entropy.

Let's define entropy as a measure of the randomness of a system. In an isolated system, the natural course of events takes the system to a more random (higher entropy) state. Note that an isolated system does not exchange energy with its surroundings.

However, non-isolated systems are free to interact with their environment, and therefore energy can be added to or removed from them. If a non-isolated system takes in energy from an outside source, a less random (lower entropy) state can be achieved. This reduction of randomness is akin to adding information to the system. Because the non-isolated system's entropy is decreasing, there must be an increase of entropy outside of the system in order that the total thermodynamic entropy remains constant.

That's it, no more discussion on entropy from me. Thinking about it is causing my brain to become more and more disordered! :whacko:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
We never see god. Never met him. We don't know where him live. We don't know how many of them are there. Only traces of him or they be. Witnesses who claim seen him or her or. Yet 99%of human population worship him admire him want to be like him. Randomly choosen photos and looks depict him across the globe randomly. He is not observed and is very random. And people have books and books on him being a being. I don't know who is correct but it's an information to me.
You haven't answered my question.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I asked Bonsai "So, are you saying that information entropy decreases as thermodynamic entropy increases?".

I read that gaining information would decrease entropy. However, this has an energy cost and this energy has to be collected from the environment.
I agree. It’s still an interesting idea to contemplate. Will there come a time when there is more energy being consumed to build knowledge of the universe than is being produced through entropy due to natural processes?

So, are you saying that information entropy decreases as thermodynamic entropy increases?
Do we have two kinds of entropy ?
I do not think so, but who knows, then there should be two names.
I think there is one and only one entropy and there are two aspect to it.
First of all, entropy does not hang from nowhere. We deal with the entropy of a system and it better be well defined with the point wether it is opened or closed.
I am puzzled by the double face of entropy, how one is derived from the other.
I think I should look at Shannon about this.
And Brilliouin works.
The proof Shannon is full of baloney lies in his corroborative coin toss. Here he’s theorizibg with machines and verifying with a coin toss. Ridiculous! A coin toss is absolutely 100% consistently predictable with a pre ordained out come when a machine is used to toss it. Also, even a person well practiced can consistently have the same outcome.
May be some light comes from the works of Leon BRILLOUIN ( 1889 1969 ) a French American scientist.
Among various scientific works he followed Shannon on information science specifically about statistical entropy.

Not an information on gods.
An information on books and people.
Same applies to UFOs.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So if entropy is a measure of the randomness of a system, does that apply to the present and future but not the past?

Serious question by the way because I’m tending towards thinking the past is highly ordered ie structured because it’s fixed.

Aree that to access the information you would have to employ thermal energy of some description.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
m
So if entropy is a measure of the randomness of a system, does that apply to the present and future but not the past?

Serious question by the way because I’m tending towards thinking the past is highly ordered ie structured because it’s fixed.

Aree that to access the information you would have to employ thermal energy of some description.
What do you mean by “tending”? What other options are there? In what theory is the past not fixed?

Has anyone interested in Entropy ever considered the Monty Hall problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

It makes no sense superficially. The contestant is convinced he/she has a 1 in 3 chance of winning a Car.

Otherwise it is a 2 in 3 chance of winning a goat. :mad:

The answer is to switch and select Monty's closed door. That makes it 2 out of 3! A better bet. Thing is, Monty knows where the Car is.

Weird but True. I say this as a Mathematician.
Not at all. i am sure people wouldn't have gave 3 chances to anybody. Probability need second chance everytime. I am sure if people would have given second chance they would have switched. Just put every key in lock. People always like that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.