What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My unfounded theory:
Everything is a warpage of space-time. The only thing that exists we see as anything is just oscillations of space-time. All just a matter of frequency. This simplifies the universe as it reduces the number of things to one. The limit set by Asimov is only for a photon. What about smaller things? How fast is the resonance that manifests itself as a Quark?

So, is what the universe expanding into just space/time that is not rippling yet? Like a lake where the stone ripple has not made it yet.

We may never know. We seem to be, today at least, limited by the observable universe as it now is defined. Someday that may change.

@KaffiMann :)D) the ‘saturation point’ of gravity is the singularity I believe.
Yes, but just throwing out random numbers wouldn't appease my appetite for knowledge.
Singularities were first predicated as a result of Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity, which resulted in the theoretical existence of black holes. In essence, the theory predicted that any star reaching beyond a certain point in its mass (aka. the Schwarzschild Radius) would exert a gravitational force so intense that it would collapse.

At this point, nothing would be capable of escaping its surface, including light. This is due to the fact the gravitational force would exceed the speed of light in vacuum – 299,792,458 meters per second (1,079,252,848.8 km/h; 670,616,629 mph).

This phenomena is known as the Chandrasekhar Limit, named after the Indian astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, who proposed it in 1930. At present, the accepted value of this limit is believed to be 1.39 Solar Masses (i.e. 1.39 times the mass of our Sun), which works out to a whopping 2.765 x 1030 kg (or 2,765 trillion trillion metric tons).
At the centre of a black hole, spacetime curves infinitely, gravity becomes infinite and the laws of physics as we know them cease to function.

I think this sums it up nicely:
According to the Penrose Singularity Theorem, which he proposed in 1965, a time-like singularity will occur within a black hole whenever matter reaches certain energy conditions. At this point, the curvature of space-time within the black hole becomes infinite, thus turning it into a trapped surface where time ceases to function.

The Hawking Singularity Theorem added to this by stating that a space-like singularity can occur when matter is forcibly compressed to a point, causing the rules that govern matter to break down. Hawking traced this back in time to the Big Bang, which he claimed was a point of infinite density. However, Hawking later revised this to claim that general relativity breaks down at times prior to the Big Bang, and hence no singularity could be predicted by it.

A gravity so immense, that the laws of physics turn to both cold slush, hot porridge, a cool deepwater fish, a Boeing 737 and blistering Chili Con Carne at the same time. Gravity so high that everything is permanently locked in a state of absolute mayhem.

Neither general relativity nor quantum mechanics can currently describe the earliest moments of the Big Bang,[8] but in general, quantum mechanics does not permit particles to inhabit a space smaller than their wavelengths.
Perhaps that's what happened, everything went horribly wrong simultaneously, and therefore - we exist.

What Is A Singularity? - Universe Today
Gravitational singularity - Wikipedia

Edit:
Or... We can put on our tinfoil hats: It is not impossible, that we live in the matrix, inside a singularity!

Last edited:

Attachments

• Tinfoil Hat.jpg
    Tinfoil Hat.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 84
Like an iron piece inbetween two magnets cannot be pulled simultaneously by both magnets . Stronger will attract it . Iron piece cannot tell if the other megnet is there or not . Similarly we are matter in general is a subject of gravity . We cannot tell if there is sun or not . Well we can but with respect to gravity we cannot . Now my question is. If we have two magnets of attractive force equal to what of blackhole. Can they produce a magnetic wave .
I believe magnet doesn't behave like gravity . But isn't it need a negative gravity to make for the trough side of the wave . Or I missing something .

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, but just throwing out random numbers wouldn't appease my appetite for knowledge.

I think this sums it up nicely:

A gravity so immense, that the laws of physics turn to both cold slush, hot porridge, a cool deepwater fish, a Boeing 737 and blistering Chili Con Carne at the same time. Gravity so high that everything is permanently locked in a state of absolute mayhem.

Perhaps that's what happened, everything went horribly wrong simultaneously, and therefore - we exist.

What Is A Singularity? - Universe Today
Gravitational singularity - Wikipedia

Edit:
Or... We can put on our tinfoil hats: It is not impossible, that we live in the matrix, inside a singularity!
Ah, you swallowed the big Blue pill. :)

Or I missing something.

1. The iron piece will be attracted to both magnets, but will move in the direction of the net or resultant force i.e. towards the stronger magnet.
  2. The fact that we can observe that the Earth is orbiting the Sun shows that the planet is experiencing a central-seeking or centripetal force. As Newton explained, this centripetal force is the force of gravity exerted on the Earth by the Sun.
  3. Two black holes produce gravitational waves when they collide. Two magnets moving together will not create purely magnetic waves. The creation of waves in the magnetic field automatically creates corresponding electric fields and leads to electromagnetic radiation.
  4. A gravitational wave compresses spacetime in one direction and stretches it the other direction - both at right angles to the wave's direction. In this sense a gravitational wave is regarded as a transverse wave comprising of both peaks and troughs.

Attachments

• Gravitational Wave.jpg
    Gravitational Wave.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 66

Attachments

• Rail Gun Principles.png
    Rail Gun Principles.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 131
  • US Navy Prototype Railgun.jpg
    US Navy Prototype Railgun.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 130
Steve, and other fans of the "taxi number" 1729, may be interested to know that the biopic "The Man Who Knew Infinity" is showing on BBC2 at 10 pm tomorrow (Sunday).

The film tells the story of self taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan and his friendship with Cambridge academic GH Hardy.

Steve, and other fans of the "taxi number" 1729, may be interested to know that the biopic "The Man Who Knew Infinity" is showing on BBC2 at 10 pm tomorrow (Sunday).

The film tells the story of self taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan and his friendship with Cambridge academic GH Hardy.
I've seen that on whatever streaming service, as an amateur number theorist I really enjoyed it.

Another good geeky biopic is "The Bit Player" about Claude Shannon.

It does not violate the laws of physics. Do not dismiss a concept because the engineering looks difficult. We are surrounded by "impossible engineering"

I can see many other problems, like what low gravity does to our body. Someone living on Mars would become a Martian and no longer Earthling. Logic ( dangerous) might suggest the same for virtually all life forms.

My plan of an army of semi-automated robots to assemble matter in the asteroid belt does not seem that far fetched compared to making an artificial magnetosphere IMO. Make it happen 1 rock at a time.
Could be we could make both earth 2 and 3 with a bit of planning, careful assembly would perhaps help avoid making a molten sphere. I do think having a moon would be useful in maintaining the field, and tides are useful for helping the weather system and ocean currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.