What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swimming Pool Physics

I've just discovered the Yarkovsky-O'Keefe-Radzievskii-Paddack (YORP) effect.

Aerospace engineer Stephen Paddack jumped into a swimming pool to do an experiment to figure out how asteroids spin!

YORP is a process that acts on asteroids to alter their spin. Visible light photons exert a force on the sunlit side of the asteroid and, when the heated side of the asteroid turns away from the Sun, infrared light photons are emitted which act like the exhaust of a rocket engine. Depending on the asteroid's tilt with respect to the Sun, this pair of forces either increases or decreases the asteroid's spin.

Paddack gathered up lots of rocks randomly and watched from underwater as an assistant released the stones. These experiments helped him to calculate the forces acting on an actual asteroid in space. :cool:

Rotation of Asteroid Itokawa - YouTube

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Even more impressive is that in all likelihood, there’s not one planet in amongst the possibly millions orbiting those stars with intelligent life on them.

Bugs and creepy crawlies yes, but not advanced beings trying to nail fusion energy production and make the first tentative steps towards colonizing the galaxy.

My God, it's full of stars!

Attachments

• Heart of Milky Way.jpg
    Heart of Milky Way.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 93
Curiously enough, the first published solution to Olbers' Paradox is attributed to Edgar Allan Poe. In his essay Eureka, Poe says:
"Were the succession of stars endless, then the background of the sky would present us a uniform luminosity, like that displayed by the Galaxy - since there could be absolutely no point, in all that background, at which would not exist a star. The only mode, therefore, in which, under such a state of affairs, we could comprehend the voids which our telescopes find in innumerable directions, would be by supposing the distance of the invisible background so immense that no ray from it has yet been able to reach us at all."
Olbers' Paradox | Astronomy 801: Planets, Stars, Galaxies, and the Universe

Curiously enough, the first published solution to Olbers' Paradox is attributed to Edgar Allan Poe. In his essay Eureka, Poe says:
Olbers' Paradox | Astronomy 801: Planets, Stars, Galaxies, and the Universe
Thanks, I had forgotten interesting details about it.
About stars so far that light has not reached us, yet.
Universe known expansion makes it worse. At some far away distance the speed of expansion is more than the speed of light, so this light will never, ever reach us.
This point has been pointed here, quite recently, telling about observable universe.

Universe known expansion makes it worse. At some far away distance the speed of expansion is more than the speed of light, so this light will never, ever reach us.
Indeed!

Edgar Allan Poe provided the first plausible explanation of Olbers' Paradox, but was unaware of the expansion of the Universe.

He died 80 years before Edwin Hubble's discovery in 1929.

Yes, big difference between the assumed universe and the observable one. But, that is only constrained by Einsteinian physics. It does not take into account the concept of observation by quantum entanglement.

One theory is all of space-time already exists, but we are constrained in out view. I don't like that as it implies predestiny unless you subscribe to the all possible outcomes and that gets way too complicated. Nature likes the easy way out.

Anton the wonderful man had a vedio about expanding universe . He say black holes expand with expanding universe . Its pretty scary . That something exist thats stretching even blackholes. Can it be the universe is expanding to the atomic level . Stretching even the the atom . Also can gravitational waves effecting the background microwave radiation. And

Status
Not open for further replies.