What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Galu said:
I should think not.

Bitesize is the BBC's free online study support resource for school-age pupils after all!

My experience is we get stupider as we get older.

My elder (13-y-o) brother is looking pretty confident that his yachting boat is looking good in our Race. What he doesn't know is I, (11-y-o) have installed batteries in my motor-boat. No wind, no problem!

The appliance of Science! :D

Attachments

• Dartmoor 1965 Nylon Swimming Trunks.jpg
    Dartmoor 1965 Nylon Swimming Trunks.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 78
Severe pressure there Galu... :eek:

Astronomy and Space Quiz | Britannica

I quickly decided to Guess the answers... :cool:

But an abysmal result. 22/62. :mad:

Or about 485/2775 points. :eek:

I felt the pressure, even just taking that test on a whim with no expectations...
I also had 22/62, but managed to get 499/2775 points.
Had several severe facepalm moments, where I was going to choose one option but instead went for another only to find my initial presumption to be correct... Happened 7 times.
Might as well just have done the random thing like Pete, with all the second-guessing and whatnot.

There was a doughnut one that I could barely read in 10 seconds. Still, ...
37/62
CORRECT
846/1775
No, I don't know who got the Nobel for dark matter/dark energy, but I know what Einstein got it for.

ETA: Mine really says 1775, dunno why yall got 2775...

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, I just copied the text from the first post.

I tried to take it 1 more time, so this is my second attempt with some hours between.
51/62
CORRECT
1255/1775
I still had 3 facepalm moments, I think perhaps I could get a few more right. Realistically I will probably top out on 58/62 if I go for repeated attempts, not likely to get 62/62 since my memory is faulty by nature.

Thanks! I found that an interesting feature.

The Voyager missions have established that the heliopause (the boundary between the solar wind and the interstellar medium) is about four times Neptune's distance away from the Sun.

Interestingly, this distance does not denote the boundaries of our solar System as icy bodies revolve around the Sun at up to one thousand times that distance. Now and again one of them plunges sunwards and a new comet is formed.

The ultimate goal of the Voyager missions is to sample the interstellar medium at a distance where it is barely affected by the Sun

Voyager is a fantastic mission. 44 years on and they both still (largely) work!

Voyager program - Wikipedia

Considering that this mission launched 4 years before the IBM PC, in 1977, which is 44 years ago, it is astonishing that it is still running. I was interested in some aspects of the design. Power? 470W of Plutonium 238 power, degrading over the years due to the 87 year half-life of its nuclear power.

By comparison the Mars Helicopter is 350W for 90 seconds a day on a days Solar Power.

Software has been upgraded remotely for more modern efficiency and compression.

It has helped that our Radio telescopes are better now, so can stay in touch. Apparently we might hope for another 10 years before these aged probes finally go quiet.

When I worked on high reliability, 25 years was considered good.

Status
Not open for further replies.