What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So all you guys who reject C as a constant, when you look at the equation E=mC**2, what do you see? Does that mean that the energy equivalent of a mass depends on where you are standing? Or that mass is location-dependent? Or do we have to redefine "2"? Or do you reject the equation all together, and all its derived results and experimental confirmations? In which case, what have you to offer?

Smart question(s).

popilin said:
For the good of most UK EE graduates, you might never have derived such a result, because it is totally wrong.
I'm not sure why you say it is wrong, then demonstrate that it is right! Perhaps you have not understood what you are reading in Jackson?

Interestingly, the UK magazine Practical Wireless starts its latest edition wth an editorial in which the editor reports that he has just discovered that that the (magnetic) force between two current carrying wires is caused by special relativity. He was surprised at this, having been educated as an electrical engineer (presumably in the UK) but never having heard of it. He says that he asked around his contacts and none of them had heard of it either, apart from one - a physicist. That confirms what I said a few days ago: UK EEs are not taught this, so British youngsters wanting to understand electrical engineering had better do a physics degree or study overseas.

So all you guys who reject C as a constant, when you look at the equation E=mC**2, what do you see?
Energy = Mass x Time

Does that mean that the energy equivalent of a mass depends on where you are standing? Or that mass is location-dependent?
Mass is speed dependent.
Or do we have to redefine "2"?
No, we should reconsider the definition of time and it's linearity.
Or do you reject the equation all together, and all its derived results and experimental confirmations? In which case, what have you to offer?

Post#501, nobody rejects the equation.

Watts = Volts x Amps,
so 2V x 1A = 2 watts.
1V x 2A = 2 watts, OMG the sky is falling.

The speed of light is constant in a relative sense.

Definition of Constant: occurring continuously over a period of time.
Time varies depending on mass and speed, therefor it is constant, but not always the same.

For math to work, you need at least one unit that for practical purposes is constant. Since we don't have any real way to know how fast we are moving, he has applied "C" as the unit representing the speed of light, whatever that may be.

Time varies depending on mass and speed, therefor it is constant, but not always the same.

For math to work, you need at least one unit that for practical purposes is constant. Since we don't have any real way to know how fast we are moving, he has applied "C" as the unit representing the speed of light, whatever that may be.
:cool:

The other relevant question is: is space-time (in which C is measured) constant? I don't think so, otherwise C could not be a constant.
Note that this all is valid in the position in space-time of the observer.

Last edited:
Yes, I did make a mistake; Albert instead of Alfred...

Don't worry, think on the western movie, Albert, the sheriff, was at the saloon drinking a glass of milk; his distant relative Alfred, the musicologist, was directing the showgirls; Max, the serious, was playing the piano (A well quantized instrument); while Erwin, the womanizing, harassed showgirls and his cat became famous for surviving so many shootings. :D

I'm not sure why you say it is wrong, then demonstrate that it is right! Perhaps you have not understood what you are reading in Jackson?

I will quote your own words

DF96 said:
A standard technique which seems to be used on here by some, including you, is to make an incorrect statement based on misunderstanding and then demand that others prove that it is untrue. This is not a helpful way to advance knowledge, or to acquire existing knowledge.

If being a modest TV repairman removes me credibility, warn you that once, I have derived this result by myself

The electric and magnetic fields, are altered under a Lorentz transformation from one inertial frame of reference to another as
E’ = E∥​

B’ = B∥​

E’ = γ [E + (1/c) v x B]

B’ = γ [B – (1/c) v x E]

Where
γ = 1/ √(1 – v²/c²)

This result by itself proves that you are wrong, because a magnetic field is NOT just a Lorentz-transformed electric field as you claim.

However, if you want to struggle with calculations, I will give you a guide for a proper demonstration

Let's consider an inertial reference frame K' which is moved with velocity v with respect to another inertial reference frame K.

The Lorentz transformation can be written in general form as

xμ’ =aμν xν...μ, ν = 1,2,3,4

Where the coefficients aμν are characteristic constants of the transformation, satisfying

aμν aμλ = δνλ...μ, ν, λ = 1,2,3,4

For being the fields E and B elements of the field strength tensor Fμν, we can find its transformation properties as

Fμν = aμλ aνσ Fλσ

The rest is to sweat, it is more technical than conceptual, i.e. do the math.

Interestingly, the UK magazine Practical Wireless starts its latest edition wth an editorial in which the editor reports that he has just discovered that that the (magnetic) force between two current carrying wires is caused by special relativity. He was surprised at this, having been educated as an electrical engineer (presumably in the UK) but never having heard of it. He says that he asked around his contacts and none of them had heard of it either, apart from one - a physicist. That confirms what I said a few days ago: UK EEs are not taught this, so British youngsters wanting to understand electrical engineering had better do a physics degree or study overseas.

This is quite correct, but I think that this is the root of your confusion, let me explain

Some authors, to be original, or just for intellectual snobbism, used charge invariance and SR to derive the magnetic force on a moving charge next to a current carrying wire, and this particular case should support your statement, however it is not enough.

As for UK EEs, don't worry, it is a world wide tendency, it is called "specialization" or to know a lot about almost nothing.

Last edited:
Energy = Mass x Time

Really? Because the last time I looked C was expressed in units of velocity, which is distance/time. So even if you choose to throw away the "space" part of "space-time", you would still have "Energy = Mass / Time**2". But with your formulation, are you saying that the energy equivalent of a mass increases with time?

:D

Oh, like pi?

When C is said to be constant this is what it means

First lets take four people, three of those people are standing in a line next to each other facing the fourth who is standing some distance away and has a ball which he then kicks toward the three at a speed of 1 mph, at the same time one of the three starts to walk toward the ball at a speed of 0.4 mph relative to his original position, another walks away from the ball at a speed of 0.4 mph relative to his original position and the third stands still

For the person standing still, the ball would have a relative speed of 1 mph

For the person walking toward the ball, the ball will have a speed of 1.4 mph relative to him (the balls speed + his speed)

For the person walking away from the ball, the ball will have a speed of 0.6 mph relative to him (the balls speed - his speed)

Makes sense :)

Now, lets do the same thing with light, instead of kicking a ball person number four shines a laser beam at the other three, as before at the same time one of the three starts moving toward the direction of the laser but at a higher speed, say 0.4 times the speed of light relative to his original position (just pretend he can) another moves away from the laser beam at 0.4 times the speed of light relative to his original position and the third, like before stays where he is

For the person standing still, the laser beam is moving at the speed of light relative to him

For the person moving toward the laser beam, the laser beam is also moving at the speed of light relative to him, not 1.4 times the speed of light

And for the person moving away form the laser beam, again the laser beam is moving at the speed of light relative to him, not 0.6 times the speed of light

C is constant

Stuff like this is measurable and has been measured

Wow it's amazing after 54 pages you don't understand the simple concepts of relativity.

Do you enjoy quoting out of context?

Your analogy is flawed from the start, and has extremely little to do with what Einstein was talking about.

Time passes by differently for the people walking at .4 MPH vs 1.4 MPH.

MPH is different for those observers.
The guy walking faster at 1.4 also has gained more mass and will age slower then the .4 MPH guy.

Neither one was traveling at the speed the other one viewed.

"Stuff like this is measurable and has been measured"

Status
Not open for further replies.